STUDENT CHANT

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
What a great day and fun atmosphere. But am I the only one that cringes when our student section chants:

F**k KU ( or whoever we’re playing ) and

You suck D**k ???

We had a 8 year old boy sitting beside us with his father and he was as uncomfortable as it gets. Is the vulgarity necessary?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
What a great day and fun atmosphere. But am I the only one that cringes when our student section chants:

You suck D**k ???

We had a 8 year old boy sitting beside us with his father and he was as uncomfortable as it gets. Is the vulgarity necessary?
Nope and you’re correct. I love the passion but have trouble taking my kids to game’s because of the vulgarity. I like going to the games to watch them and cheer the teams on and not go to them to teach my kids how to and how not to act.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don’t really care and I’m not in the seats but I wish they’d be a little more imaginative and the “You suck ****” one is probably a touch gauche for the setting. “**** KU” is pretty standard and at this point tradition.

All that said, nothing makes me cringe like Facebook memories from college age (and a little after) so why would anyone listen to me?

Reactions: Letterkenny

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
All that said, nothing makes me cringe like Facebook memories from college age (and a little after) so why would anyone listen to me?
And trying to tell college students not to do it would probably just make them do it more.

They tried to stop the "you suck" after the intro claps at one point iirc (which honestly I still prefer without because it misses the point of the claps) but that clearly didn't work

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

You suck D**k ???

The f*ck KU I can sort of agree with, but you suck D*ck was the kids name. But yeah our fan base is pretty rabid especially in big games. Wait till the Mormons come to town, that'll be a feisty day.

Honestly they all will be pretty feisty, but BYU should have the crowd amped

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The f*ck KU I can sort of agree with, but you suck D*ck was the kids name. But yeah our fan base is pretty rabid especially in big games. Wait till the Mormons come to town, that'll be a feisty day.

I imagine a lot of people are going to learn about soaking for the first time that day

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Maybe childhood has changed in the last few decades, but by eight I had already started mastering the delicate artistry of profanity. Honestly, swearing regularly with the rest of my classmates was some of the tamest **** my curious self had been up to at that point.

If profanity is a thing you want to protect your children from, don't bring them to any large scale events - that should be obvious. You simply can't shelter and expose kids to the college reality, it's not possible.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I’m not a fan of it but have been around enough young children to know it is not new to them. They hear it at home and in schools. Parents will take toddlers to PG movies with tons of it. There is a political flag with a big f bomb on it directly across the street from our lower elementary school.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I remember being kind of shocked by it as a freshman when I started going to games but liking it at that age.

If we’re honest there are waaaaaaaaaaaay worse things that get normalized in society by a large % of people and I don’t think obscenities at a basketball or hockey game even register in that discussion with the exception of if there are racist/bigot/sexist chants which I’ve never heard at Hilton ever. Closest thing to bigotry I’ve heard is calling some really big player “beefcake” or something like that.