Suicide by Wii?

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Those parents should be in jail. Unreal.

you know the family's going to sue them and theyll get a ton of money from nintendo over their own stupidity.

i dont know if you heard about this, but a TWELVE year old girl ate a pack of magnetized marbles because "they looked like candy" (she sounded like she had been oxygen-deprived when she was young when she said it, but she was not mentally handicapped) but the family sued the maker of the marbles, and judging by the way stupid people usually get paid in these situations, they probably won.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I just don't see Nintendo giving up any cash over a product that isn't theirs.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Nintendo won't have to pay a dime since they were a non-factor in this. The product wasn't theirs (it was Chinese and not available in normal US stores). The step-dad was stupid enough to leave a gun loaded with the safety off on the table (probably with a bullet in the chamber), and the mom was too stupid to not realize, even though she was mere feet away, that the toddler had picked up the real gun. They were living in a trailer, why would you let a 3 year old play with an expensive piece of hardware without supervision anyways? This is a sad story because it shouldn't have happened.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
For those of you that don't have kids - the 3 year old wouldn't have ever had to play the game to have an idea how it worked. If they saw dad playing a shooting game, they make the connected between the controller and the action. Then they see something that looks like the controller, and they think "Hey I know what this is for!" I never let my daughters operate the TV, but I've seen them pick up the remote, point it at the TV and push buttons. The one who does it the most is going to turn three in July. My four year old has gotten in trouble enough that she knows not to touch the remotes anymore.

It is scary what your kids will learn just by watching you, and why it is so important for parents to be ALWAYS aware of what they and others are doing around their kids.

Last edited:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
For those of you that don't have kids - the 3 year old wouldn't have ever had to play the game to have an idea how it worked. If they saw dad playing a shooting game, they make the connected between the controller and the action. Then they see something that looks like the controller, and they think "Hey I know what this is for!" I never let my daughters operate the TV, but I've seen them pick up the remote, point it at the TV and push buttons.

It is scary what your kids will learn just by watching you, and why it is so important for parents to be ALWAYS aware of what they and others are doing around their kids.

That is a very good point and one which should be recognized. However, in this instance the mother is quoted as saying the child probably mistook the gun for a wii controller because the child was used to playing shooting games. In this case you are giving the parents too much credit.