NBA: Summer 2018 Off Season Thread

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
There will be massive news rolling in over the next couple months. Let's discuss it here!

Top stories so far:

- LeBron: Decision 3.0
*Rightfully has his own thread because it's LeBron

- Kevin Durant may sign with Golden State for 4 years $160M.
*Warriors GM willing to give Durant "whatever he wants"
*Not sure how Warriors can keep their four All-Stars when the top two take up $75M+ of a $100M salary cap

- Gregg Popvich done in San Antonio after 2020
*What does this mean for Kawhi? Sign long term, ask for trade or hit free agency next summer?

- Kyrie Irving and Draymond will not sign extensions with their teams this summer.
*Can earn waaaaaaay more money waiting a summer.

- Free Agents List: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agents-2018-2019

IaState95

Jun 12, 2018
Colorado
There will be massive news rolling in over the next couple months. Let's discuss it here!

Top stories so far:

- LeBron: Decision 3.0
*Rightfully has his own thread because it's LeBron

- Kevin Durant may sign with Golden State for 4 years $160M.
*Warriors GM willing to give Durant "whatever he wants"
*Not sure how Warriors can keep their four All-Stars when the top two take up $75M+ of a $100M salary cap

- Gregg Popvich done in San Antonio after 2020
*What does this mean for Kawhi? Sign long term, ask for trade or hit free agency next summer?

- Kyrie Irving and Draymond will not sign extensions with their teams this summer.
*Can earn waaaaaaay more money waiting a summer.

- Free Agents List: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agents-2018-2019
WTF is kyrie doing?

IaState95

Jun 12, 2018
Colorado
Kawhi Leonard requested a trade from the Spurs, it's going to be weird to see the Spurs having to rebuild. I also doubt the Spurs will trade Kawhi to a team in the West.

Last edited:

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Kawhi Leonard requested a trade from the Spurs, it's going to be weird to see the Spurs having to rebuild. I also doubt the Spurs will trade Kawhi to a team in the West.

Keep seeing Lakers fans say that the Spurs don't have any leverage so they'll have to trade him to the Lakers. Except other teams will be able to put together as good or better packages.

IaState95

Jun 12, 2018
Colorado
Keep seeing Lakers fans say that the Spurs don't have any leverage so they'll have to trade him to the Lakers. Except other teams will be able to put together as good or better packages.
Spurs have all the leverage, Kawhi still has 2 year on his contract. They can wait for the best offer. I bet the 76ers make a move.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Spurs have all the leverage, Kawhi still has 2 year on his contract. They can wait for the best offer. I bet the 76ers make a move.

The second year is a player option, so he could walk away after next season. But yeah, I agree that the Spurs aren't totally without leverage here. They can slow play this and either get the very best deal possible or they can try to mend the fences with Kawhi behind the scenes. Just last year Popovich talked Lamarcus Aldridge out of a trade request.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I saw a story last night talkign about how the Lakers could try to get Leonard, George, and LeBron. I don't know why you'd even want to do that. I'd rather just get LeBron and George at 85% of his value and not have to worry about giving up anything to the Spurs.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I saw a story last night talkign about how the Lakers could try to get Leonard, George, and LeBron. I don't know why you'd even want to do that. I'd rather just get LeBron and George at 85% of his value and not have to worry about giving up anything to the Spurs.
The one (and almost only) downfall to LeBron is he hates playing with young guys. He would rather play with mature vets. His second time in Cleveland he immediately wanted to trade cheap rookie Andrew Wiggins for expensive vet Kevin Love.

The problem is with the massive contracts superstars get you have you surround them with cheap talent like Tatum and Brown in Boston around Hayward, Irving and Horford. LeBron is going to need the Lakers to keep Kuzma and Ingram and maybe even Ball around him otherwise he's going to be in the exact same situation the team he is on ends up with: overpaid barely above average vets and a huge luxury tax bill.

Then again, if you can trade away Kuzma and Ball, get rid of Deng's contract and sign a cheap big like Nerlens Noel...

Starting 5: LeBron, Paul George, Kawhi, Ingram and Noel.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Draymond will get traded after next year. I think they should have prepared for klay to leave but whatever.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Draymond will get traded after next year. I think they should have prepared for klay to leave but whatever.
tbh I think they'd be smart to trade him this year/this off season. I think he is a bit glorified right now. he's a solid player who works hard as hell, but he doesn't have the same effect if he isn't on the Warriors, imo. The league, and most of the general public are still really high on him at this point, but a prolonged contract "dispute" for lack of a better term, only shows his worse sides.

IaState95

Jun 12, 2018
Colorado
I saw that Draymond is looking for a max contract, I don’t think he’s worth that. He wont be nearly the same player when he’s off the warriors. I wouldn’t be surprised if klay leaves he has to be tried of being the 3rd option.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
tbh I think they'd be smart to trade him this year/this off season. I think he is a bit glorified right now. he's a solid player who works hard as hell, but he doesn't have the same effect if he isn't on the Warriors, imo. The league, and most of the general public are still really high on him at this point, but a prolonged contract "dispute" for lack of a better term, only shows his worse sides.

I think he's a DPOY candidate wherever he plays, but he's most valuable to the Warriors because of how he fits into their scheme. If push comes to shove and the Warriors can ultimately only afford to keep Green or Klay I might be inclined to keep Green just because he's the anchor for everything they do defensively. Put it this way - Klay Thompson is a better player, but Draymond Green and his unique skillset is more essential to what the Warriors want to do.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Same with Klay to be honest. I shudder every time I see him dribble.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Same with Klay to be honest. I shudder every time I see him dribble.

Agreed. I think Thompson and Green are both very good players who are slightly overvalued around the league because of the system they play in. I just think that if/when the Warriors get to the point where they can't afford to keep both, it would be easier to replace Thompson than it would be to replace Green.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If they give Durant a massive contract, like rumored, there is absolutely no way they can keep Klay and Draymond too. Durant won't take these paycuts forever and Klay/Draymond have relatively affordable contracts right now but they're definitely going to get max contracts offered to them when they become free agents.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron