• Super Dog

Votes: 59 51.8%
  • Gyro

Votes: 55 48.2%

• Total voters

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've only ever had the Gyro stand drunk, but where in Ames can you get a better one? The only place I've had one is Pammel, and it was not good.

It was after college that I finally had a Welch Ave. gyro sober....and it was not good. I ate hundreds of Pammel gyros made spicy because I worked next to there, and they were fantastic. And I was sober when I ate them.

Is Pammel grocery still there? That building was falling apart in the late 90s. No way it's still standing.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It was after college that I finally had a Welch Ave. gyro sober....and it was not good. I ate hundreds of Pammel gyros made spicy because I worked next to there, and they were fantastic. And I was sober when I ate them.

Is Pammel grocery still there? That building was falling apart in the late 90s. No way it's still standing.

Has Pammel been around that long? Or maybe not in the same location? It's in Colorado Junction. They've been in that location for maybe 10 years. No idea where they were before that, or if they even were around before that. The building is nothing special, but I don't think it's falling apart. Might be, you're thinking of a different place.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

They moved locations a while back. It's in West Ames now over by Papa Johns

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Has Pammel been around that long? Or maybe not in the same location? It's in Colorado Junction. They've been in that location for maybe 10 years. No idea where they were before that, or if they even were around before that. The building is nothing special, but I don't think it's falling apart. Might be, you're thinking of a different place.
I remember it being near 13th and Stange, or at least within walking distance of there. I had several friends who shopped there. This is 2003ish.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I remember it being near 13th and Stange, or at least within walking distance of there. I had several friends who shopped there. This is 2003ish.

Gotcha, I only know because the business that was in their current spot before them was a deli owned by a former co-worker of mine. Really, really good place, modeled after the traditional East Coast Deli, but he couldn't make it work. He used a lot of high end products in his food, and as a consequence, he had to charge too much. Also, the service was too slow for a lot of tastes.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Gotcha, I only know because the business that was in their current spot before them was a deli owned by a former co-worker of mine. Really, really good place, modeled after the traditional East Coast Deli, but he couldn't make it work. He used a lot of high end products in his food, and as a consequence, he had to charge too much. Also, the service was too slow for a lot of tastes.
Disalvos? That place was amazing; best subs I've ever had in Iowa

Reactions: Angie

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I assume it was in Pammel Court. My brother lived there in the early 80s, married housing. They were WWII huts I believe. A nice little read on ISU history. http://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2017/01/19/pammel

My question is when does the Super Dog make it's way out? I'm not planning on getting crazy in Ames anytime soon, but if they are out early enough I'm up for a late night drive from Ankeny.

• Agree

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Disalvos? That place was amazing; best subs I've ever had in Iowa
Yeah, Disalvos. The owner grew up in Philadelphia, and really wanted to bring that East Coast Deli style to Ames. His cheese-steaks were amazing. The guy would buy giant ribeye roasts and shave them down in house for the meat. They were ridiculously high quality, but you can't charge a premium and be located in Colorado Junction. It just doesn't work, or at least it didn't in 2005. Perhaps nowadays, when fast casual restaurants are so much more popular, he might have had better success. We looked into getting him to cater our wedding, but it didn't work out. Super nice guy, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
They were ridiculously high quality, but you can't charge a premium and be located in Colorado Junction. It just doesn't work, or at least it didn't in 2005. Perhaps nowadays, when fast casual restaurants are so much more popular, he might have had better success.

Damn tasty, but a tough location. I went there a lot, and quite often was the only customer in the place.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Damn tasty, but a tough location. I went there a lot, and quite often was the only customer in the place.

He now runs a vermin control business as his side job, oddly enough. Still a nice guy, but incongruent with the previous side business!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron