giphy.gif

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wish my time in Ames, I would have gone there more often.

Everyone went to Gryos guy or Cheesesteak Guy or Super Dog. I was always in Mr. Burrito with much better service, got my burrito insanely quick, and overall much better food. I might have eaten there every week once I was going to bars.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Everyone went to Gryos guy or Cheesesteak Guy or Super Dog. I was always in Mr. Burrito with much better service, got my burrito insanely quick, and overall much better food. I might have eaten there every week once I was going to bars.

Yeah, the food they served was incredible. Even after living and working in Ames for 3 years after graduation, I still didn't go there as much as I should. I probably ate there less than 10 times in total, but still remember how good it was.

Additionally, I didn't like the gyro guy. When I get gyros, I want the stuff that comes off the rotisserie, not the frozen crap.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Superdogs and Gyros had become a right of passage for nearly every ISU college student out on Welch on a Friday or Saturday. In My college years, it was 3 burgers for $1 at Hardees.

Reactions: clonefreek

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I did some research a while back and came up with a good replica recipe. I found some weird blog post from someone where they interviewed the cook one night.

This is what I came up with. Use it wisely.
-Bun
-Hot dog (cooked however you like)
-Pineapple sauce (it's just crushed pineapple from the can)
-Roasted garlic cilantro mayo sauce (roast a couple cloves of garlic under the broiler, chop up garlic and cilantro, and mix into mayo)
-Secret sauce (which is actually just thousand island dressing)
-ketchup
-mustard
-crushed up potato chips (Lay's or Ruffles preferred)
-Slice of cooked bacon
-Monterey jack cheese
-Broil until the cheese is melted

It is a sight to behold. This was about as close as I think you could possibly get to the original.
Snapchat-1481442999.jpg

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I did some research a while back and came up with a good replica recipe. I found some weird blog post from someone where they interviewed the cook one night.

This is what I came up with. Use it wisely.
-Bun
-Hot dog (cooked however you like)
-Pineapple sauce (it's just crushed pineapple from the can)
-Roasted garlic cilantro mayo sauce (roast a couple cloves of garlic under the broiler, chop up garlic and cilantro, and mix into mayo)
-Secret sauce (which is actually just thousand island dressing)
-ketchup
-mustard
-crushed up potato chips (Lay's or Ruffles preferred)
-Slice of cooked bacon
-Monterey jack cheese
-Broil until the cheese is melted

It is a sight to behold. This was about as close as I think you could possibly get to the original.
View attachment 88543

WTAF?!? And people eat this? I mean, I've thrown together all sorts of crazy food concoctions in my life, but this looks like someone going late through a picnic line after too many Busch Lights and cobbling together a meal out of the few remaining items.

• Disagree
Reactions: JCity

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
WTAF?!? And people eat this? I mean, I've thrown together all sorts of crazy food concoctions in my life, but this looks like someone going late through a picnic line after too many Busch Lights and cobbling together a meal out of the few remaining items.

Wait... did you never hear about Super Dogs?

Reactions: DFWClone and JP4CY

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
YOU DO THIS A WEEK BEFORE A FOOTBALL GAME? I say we grab our pitch forks, act like its veishea and full out riot. This is absurd.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Wait... did you never hear about Super Dogs?
Maybe in passing. I haven't lived in Ames in over 20 years, don't get back all that often any more, and certainly haven't frequented the late night bar scene in a long time.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
My hierarchy of favorite foods to eat while drunk as an ISU student (02 to 06) was something like this:
1) Pokey sticks
2) Gyros
3) Flying / Fighting burrito
4) Estas tacos
5)Jimmy Johns
6) Pizza Pit
- big gap-
7) Pita Pit
8) Home team pizza (it was so cheap and terrible)
9) Those free hot dogs at Mickey’s
10) Super Dogs

I’ll be sad to see the gyro stand leave.
Edited because I forgot Estas.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: JCity

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
My hierarchy of favorite foods to eat while drunk as an ISU student (02 to 06) was something like this:
1) Pokey sticks
2) Gyros
4) Jimmy Johns
5) Pizza Pit
- big gap-
6) Pita Pit
7) Home team pizza (it was so cheap and terrible)
8) Those free hot dogs at Mickey’s
9) Super Dogs

Dude, no Battle's? What's wrong with you.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Superdog and Fajita Man were pretty much every Friday and Saturday for me my last 2 years in Ames. First senior year, go out Thursday, Friday and Saturday and mix it up between the 2 or ordering Jeff's on the walk home. Super senior year go out Wednesday instead of Thursday for Es Tas' burger and fries deal, then Friday and Saturday back to superdog or fajitas. Gyro stand was overrated IMO.

Reactions: DFWClone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
1) Pokey sticks
2) Gyros
4) Jimmy Johns
5) Pizza Pit
- big gap-
6) Pita Pit
7) Home team pizza (it was so cheap and terrible)
8) Those free hot dogs at Mickey’s
9) Super Dogs

I am just glad Jeff's wasn't on here. That place also sucks

Reactions: Frak

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron