Surprise- Illinois No Longer Investigating Shannon

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It should not be shocking, the University of Illinois has dropped its investigation of Terrance Shannon Jr! The investigation just ran into too many dead ends shortly after their season ended!!! My guess is Shannon is also no longer a student at Illinois, so no reason to investigate this potential being being a danger to other students at Illinois. And the good news for the Fighting Illini is that Shannon dropped his lawsuit against Illinois. All's well that ends well:oops:

Illinois Drops Investigation

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
His criminal case in Kansas is still ongoing.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Criminal case, no biggie. He scores 24ppg at Illinois, takes them to the Elite 8 and parlays it into an NBA lottery pick. The victim gets paid and the charges suddenly disappear.

Yes, I am jaded!!
Kinda sounds like Kardashian paying off USC.

glockpurdyfan

Apr 10, 2024
It should not be shocking, the University of Illinois has dropped its investigation of Terrance Shannon Jr! The investigation just ran into too many dead ends shortly after their season ended!!! My guess is Shannon is also no longer a student at Illinois, so no reason to investigate this potential being being a danger to other students at Illinois. And the good news for the Fighting Illini is that Shannon dropped his lawsuit against Illinois. All's well that ends well:oops:

Illinois Drops Investigation
Is he still set for trial in May?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Out of curiosity, but why should Illinois continue to investigate something that happened in Lawrence, Kansas if he is no longer on the team?

Illinois did the right thing and suspended him. A judge overturned it.
While I agree, someone should tell their fans that Illinois did the right thing and suspended him. Also, the judge didn't tell Brad Underwood he had to play him.

When everyone is clear on that, then more power to them on their Elite Eight* appearance.

Edit: Not Elite Eight, but rather Elite Eight*.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Is it any wonder why many folks roll their eyes when the term "student-athlete" is used? Guys like him give a bad name to the many young men and women who truly are student-athletes.

• Winner
Reactions: GT25Ump and nrg4isu

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Out of curiosity, but why should Illinois continue to investigate something that happened in Lawrence, Kansas if he is no longer on the team?

Did the court order say they had to play him? Legitimately asking not being sarcastic

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

They shouldn't if he's no longer a student and a risk to female students.

But the timing is suspicious. Was there was any investigation? Or did the University announce the investigation to appease people on campus that the university and athletic department take charges of sexual assault serious. But intent was to drop investigation as soon as season was over all along.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Did the court order say they had to play him? Legitimately asking not being sarcastic
Yes a Federal Judge said that Illinois didn't give Shannon due process and by suspending him they hurt his draft stock & future ability to earn.

Legally, it would be interesting if judge would have made similar ruling if Shannon had to face a university judicial body to determine if he could remain student. Aka he had due process in being suspended.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

It's just suspicious that this comes out right after the end of the season. As if they were actually investigating it during the season.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I have no problem with what Illinois did.
If it was ISU the defenders would be out in droves, including me. I try not to be a hypocrite. I don't always succeed...but I try.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It's hard to fault IL for any decision. Technically everybody should be presumed innocent until proven guilty, and Shannon hasn't been convicted of anything yet. While that doesn't seem "right" in many ways, they can't really get into a situation where they're deciding who to suspend and who not to based on a perception of the expected court outcome. That would open them up to a whole different set of issues.

In today's world, I would expect this to be the norm going forward. Unless there is video evidence to cause public outrage (like the elevator beating video a few years ago, I think it was an NFL player), money is what matters to these people and it's been proven there is no downfall to letting them play while things progress legally.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
They shouldn't if he's no longer a student and a risk to female students.

But the timing is suspicious. Was there was any investigation? Or did the University announce the investigation to appease people on campus that the university and athletic department take charges of sexual assault serious. But intent was to drop investigation as soon as season was over all along.

OJ Simpson was leading the investigation while at the same time finding the real killers of his wife and the waiter. When OJ died they ended the investigation at Illinois. So yes they did do an investigation. Not Illinois fault OJ died

• Funny
  • Dumb
Reactions: clonebb and isucy86

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Well the investigation is over because there is nothing more they can do. If you read the article they don't have enough evidence to do anything more. This is a unique problem because typically the alleged assault takes place on campus or at least involves another student so they could at least call the student in to get her side or get a statement from her. In this case it is an out of state person who made the allegation and is not a student at the university.

Now, I do think it is weird they just continued to play him like nothing happened but Illinois told Underwood to treat him as any other player because they were worried about being in violation of the judges order.

I really wouldn't be surprised though to see more challenges to suspensions based on the reasoning of the district court in the Shannon v. illinois case regarding due process.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Still should have beaten them. ISU faced players just as good if not better than Shannon.

If this has been said before, sorry

Reactions: Drew0311

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I was initially really incensed by all this, that this guy was playing when he probably shouldn't be. But not by the university or AD, which would normally be who is the bad actor. Illinois suspended him pending outcome, which is kind of the standard practice, so that was fine.

But to have a judge step in and basically say "you can't suspend your players" seemed insane to me. If you can't suspend them for being charged with a heinous crime, then surely you can't for little things. So like missed practice, made terrible comments to media, was bullying teammates, or just generally disrespectful to coach? Or is that ok to suspend, but a criminal charge isn't? Or can you just not suspend players for anything anymore? Wouldn't a player suspended for anything immediately sue now?

Basically the concept of suspending for being charged with a crime is that they are an "embarrassment" to the team. But what if a player made racist or misogynist comments on social media? Or a player got an NIL deal with Brazzers and started pumping that out (pun intended) on their social media feeds 24/7? Those are totally legal, but clearly a distraction and bad press to the team. And I would bet not a lot of boosters and university presidents would appreciate that. Can you suspend for that? Surely the player would sue if you did, right?

Just seems like it opens up a big can of worms wrt player discipline.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I was initially really incensed by all this, that this guy was playing when he probably shouldn't be. But not by the university or AD, which would normally be who is the bad actor. Illinois suspended him pending outcome, which is kind of the standard practice, so that was fine.

But to have a judge step in and basically say "you can't suspend your players" seemed insane to me. If you can't suspend them for being charged with a heinous crime, then surely you can't for little things. So like missed practice, made terrible comments to media, was bullying teammates, or just generally disrespectful to coach? Or is that ok to suspend, but a criminal charge isn't? Or can you just not suspend players for anything anymore? Wouldn't a player suspended for anything immediately sue now?

Basically the concept of suspending for being charged with a crime is that they are an "embarrassment" to the team. But what if a player made racist or misogynist comments on social media? Or a player got an NIL deal with Brazzers and started pumping that out (pun intended) on their social media feeds 24/7? Those are totally legal, but clearly a distraction and bad press to the team. And I would bet not a lot of boosters and university presidents would appreciate that. Can you suspend for that? Surely the player would sue if you did, right?

From what little I know about it, the school was sued because they didn't follow their stated process for suspending a student. And the suspension was from the school, not the coach... I guess.

To me the corrective action should have been clear and immediate. Have the coach suspend the kid from the team rather than the school suspend him. Maybe I'm missing something though and there's some reason why that shouldn't or didn't take place.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

The judge ruled that the violated his due process rights because basically there wasn't proper due process in the procedure the followed. Part the issues she said with the process was that it didn't give him enough time to present his own evidence or appear before the panel to plead his case.