Surprising ISU article in NY Times

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Call me a skeptic. But, I see articles like this as a backhanded complement, further trying to distance the P2 in the minds of everyone. Oklahoma has, historically, been the juggernaut of the B12 (14). Texas, though second with only 4 championships, is IMO no better than most others in the league. I'd even go so far as to say they suck relative to their resources. We'll see how those two do in the SEC. But, the new B12 top-to-bottom will definitely be the most entertaining conference. I hope viewership and attendance reflect that and the next go-around in media negotiations also reflects that. If we separate basketball contracts from football, things will really get interesting.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I do think Iowa State has a legit shot to re-establish itself in the new Big XII football pecking order. IMO, the next 3-5 years are as good of opportunity we have had since the old Big XII North days.
But the same thing can be said for K-State, KU, Okie St, UCF, Utah, BYU, and a handful of others.

Postel16

Oct 15, 2020
We gotta strike while the opportunity is ripe that's for sure. I just find it amusing(now)/annoying(then) that the whole of media was predicting the Big 12's demise only for it not only to survive but possibly be the most competitive power conference top to bottom or any conference for that matter.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and BigCyFan

mschmitty17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2017
Des Moines
Some interesting stats in the article for those who don't want to read it.
  1. None of the league’s 16 members generated more revenue from football ticket sales in fiscal 2023 than Iowa State ($16.19 million).
  2. No power conference school had more plays of 50-plus yards than Iowa State.
  3. The defense lost cornerback T.J. Tampa in the NFL Draft but brings back a unit that allowed just 12 rushing touchdowns (14th nationally), a 55.8 completion percentage (12th) and was tenacious in red zone scoring defense (73.1 percent, sixth).
  4. This one is depressing - Before Campbell’s arrival in 2016, Iowa State had only one winning Big 12 season — ever.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Some interesting stats in the article for those who don't want to read it.
  1. None of the league’s 16 members generated more revenue from football ticket sales in fiscal 2023 than Iowa State ($16.19 million).
  2. No power conference school had more plays of 50-plus yards than Iowa State.
  3. The defense lost cornerback T.J. Tampa in the NFL Draft but brings back a unit that allowed just 12 rushing touchdowns (14th nationally), a 55.8 completion percentage (12th) and was tenacious in red zone scoring defense (73.1 percent, sixth).
  4. This one is depressing - Before Campbell’s arrival in 2016, Iowa State had only one winning Big 12 season — ever.

Correct. The year was 2000 (5-3)

4 years the program did go .500 at 4-4 - (2001, 2002, 2004, 2005)

Mac just could NOT get over the hump.

Elite Coaching and making the right hire at this level is critical.

Last edited:

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
So does the athletic sell their article to the NYT or how does that typically work in this new age media?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
I do think Iowa State has a legit shot to re-establish itself in the new Big XII football pecking order. IMO, the next 3-5 years are as good of opportunity we have had since the old Big XII North days.
But the same thing can be said for K-State, KU, Okie St, UCF, Utah, BYU, and a handful of others.
The opportunity is all there for us. It's up to Campbell and company to take advantage. No one in this league is unbeatable or possible dynasty. Why not us?!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
So does the athletic sell their article to the NYT or how does that typically work in this new age media?
Ive got a NYT subscription which gives me access to most Athletic content. It seems like there is another subscription tier as there are a few things that I can’t read.

Postel16

Oct 15, 2020
Haha, I need to read faster. I got halfway thru the article (maybe) and it cut away to the subscription page. :(
As soon as you open the page just download it, then go to your downloads and open it. That should let you read the whole thing w/o the subscription pop-up bothering you.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
NYT owns The Athletic now
Yep. And Scott Dochterman is their beat writer for Iowa. He does pieces on ISU from time to time when they need something about ISU that doesn't make sense for Max Olson (Big 12 beat writer) to cover. This being reporting from the Tailgate Tour, makes sense to send the guy who lives in Iowa City up to CR.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You can get around the paywall if you download the article by hitting the download icon on the rop right if you're in Chrome.
As soon as you open the page just download it, then go to your downloads and open it. That should let you read the whole thing w/o the subscription pop-up bothering you.
I've heard these suggestions before, but can never seem to get them to work, for me.

I don't see any 'download' icon. So, would it work to click on the article, then quickly Rt click and then hit 'save as', would that work as a download?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You can get around the paywall if you download the article by hitting the download icon on the rop right if you're in Chrome.

I've heard these suggestions before, but can never seem to get them to work, for me.

I don't see any 'download' icon. So, would it work to click on the article, then quickly Rt click and then hit 'save as', would that work as a download?
I followed your, and my suggestions, and I think it worked. Anyway, I was able to read the article. Thx!