T.Boone Pickens Has no love loss for Missouri

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
By all accounts, there were several Big 12 schools very interested in what the Pac-10 had to offer and were very close to bolting for the West Coast.

One of the people with very close ties to one of those schools, however, was enamored with neither the idea of moving to the Pac-10 nor a couple of the schools in the Big 12 -- including one school that still remains a member.

Oklahoma State owner (Hat tip: EDSBS) T. Boone Pickens, who has given hundreds of millions of dollars to both the OSU athletics program and the school itself, had a few choice words on a variety of topics Monday as the Big 12 was crawling out of its self-dug grave.

"I don't want to go off and leave Iowa State, Kansas State or Baylor," Pickens said. "The Pac-10 is not that interesting. I'd rather trim the conference. I don't care if Nebraska leaves, I have no love for them. And I'd just as soon Missouri leave, and Colorado kind of fell in the same category."

And Pickens wasn't done, especially with Missouri and Nebraska.

"If Missouri stays, that's fine," Pickens said. "But I want them to shut up about trying to figure out someplace to go. They're either a loyal member or they're out with me. Nebraska has wanted to leave since the Big Six, and that's 1940. That's 70 years ago. What's Nebraska got to offer? They've got (only) 700,000 households."

The shots at Nebraska are understandable -- even necessary -- given the fact that they've already bolted for the Big Ten, and everybody likes to take shots at the Pac-10 just because, but is T. Boone aware that Mizzou is one of the ten schools that were deciding on remaining "loyal" to the Big 12?

Yeah, this is a solid, all-for-one one-for-all group -- with all ships pointed in the same direction -- and we will not be talking about Big 12 unrest and unhappiness at any point in the near future.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
By all accounts, there were several Big 12 schools very interested in what the Pac-10 had to offer and were very close to bolting for the West Coast.

One of the people with very close ties to one of those schools, however, was enamored with neither the idea of moving to the Pac-10 nor a couple of the schools in the Big 12 -- including one school that still remains a member.

Oklahoma State owner (Hat tip: EDSBS) T. Boone Pickens, who has given hundreds of millions of dollars to both the OSU athletics program and the school itself, had a few choice words on a variety of topics Monday as the Big 12 was crawling out of its self-dug grave.

"I don't want to go off and leave Iowa State, Kansas State or Baylor," Pickens said. "The Pac-10 is not that interesting. I'd rather trim the conference. I don't care if Nebraska leaves, I have no love for them. And I'd just as soon Missouri leave, and Colorado kind of fell in the same category."

And Pickens wasn't done, especially with Missouri and Nebraska.

"If Missouri stays, that's fine," Pickens said. "But I want them to shut up about trying to figure out someplace to go. They're either a loyal member or they're out with me. Nebraska has wanted to leave since the Big Six, and that's 1940. That's 70 years ago. What's Nebraska got to offer? They've got (only) 700,000 households."

The shots at Nebraska are understandable -- even necessary -- given the fact that they've already bolted for the Big Ten, and everybody likes to take shots at the Pac-10 just because, but is T. Boone aware that Mizzou is one of the ten schools that were deciding on remaining "loyal" to the Big 12?

Yeah, this is a solid, all-for-one one-for-all group -- with all ships pointed in the same direction -- and we will not be talking about Big 12 unrest and unhappiness at any point in the near future.

You're a good egg Boone.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
As much as I'd like to rip on Missouri for being the ones that set this whole ball into motion (as they saying very publicly that they were all but headed off to the Big 10 nearly started Armageddon in the first place), I'm going to choose to be a little graceful on this one. While they certainly deserve our ridicule, if the rest of the Big 12 ever does blow up and the Big 10 invite never comes (and it appears that's done forever now), they're likely going to play a key part in whatever our future may be, as in working up a package acceptable to another BCS conference.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
My thoughts exactly. Has anyone considered asking T. Boone for a donation after all this has gone down?

T. Boone is alright by me.
Maybe this guy can? (Alma mater is ISU)
Someone ask Bill Gates if he can through a billion our way...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If we left he'd be bad mouthing us as well. It's hard not to say that the NU to the Big Ten was a good move on their behalf.

TXClone04

Jun 13, 2010
That would be pretty awesome if he tossed us the equivalent of what the Neb/CU buyout was. It's not much (and peanuts to him), but its amazing what a couple of million could do for ISU as opposed to the UT, A&M, and OUs of the world.

Anyway, I'm grateful he was able to hold the conference together. I'm sure he was a big time behind the scenes guy along with Drayton McLane (Houston Astros owner and Baylor alum).

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Quite the interesting man. I watched a 60 minutes piece on him once, and it was pretty good.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Is it sad i knew that page would link to Antti Herlin's Wikipedia page before I clicked on it?

It is not sad cause that was my first notion as well....we fanatics are called that for a reason. Reasons our wives and girlfriends will never understand :yes:

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I have no love for Texas.
My general feeling of superiority to Texas "culture" like their music, fake cowboys and unimpressive cities outside of San antonio, is current being raised to a more open hatred.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
I've heard that Boone was instrumental in keeping the conference together. He has respect for "underdog's" and respects ISU. Who knows? Maybe he was just reluctant to fly to places like Pullman and Corvailis at his age.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Dallas/Ft Worth is NOT unimpressive...

DFW and Houston are just gigantic sprawling messes, with little character. Ft. Worth is fun, don't get me wrong, but honestly I've enjoyed College Station as much as any place I've been in Texas.

But I'm going to Austin this fall, so that should all change.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
DFW and Houston are just gigantic sprawling messes, with little character. Ft. Worth is fun, don't get me wrong, but honestly I've enjoyed College Station as much as any place I've been in Texas.

But I'm going to Austin this fall, so that should all change.

In terms of great people I've met in Texas I'm not sure any place has ever come close to College Station.
I am excited as well to see Austin for that game this year - just not sure it can live up to my experience at aTm.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Oky State was playing both side T Boone. Reportedly they were going to do whatever Texas did, so I wouldn't get all high and mighty T Boone.

Missouri deserves some grief, but many of the South teams were entertaining leaving us high and dry.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron