T.J. Tampa projected as first round pick going into NFL Combine

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I think that many in the league view it as a gimmick defense. Or at most something you use only situationally. But as far as CBs, ISU doesn’t really emphasize speed. Corners don’t have to turn and cover as much because of all the safeties behind them. We seem to care more about short area quickness and tackling ability. Our CB film doesn’t really translate well to NFL schemes. So, it probably shouldn’t be a surprise that Tampa dropped just due to uncertainty.
Glad to hear this may have been a scheme thing. My initial thought was that Matt Campbell needs to help our guys find better agents so they quit falling so far in the draft. Seeing TJ Tampa go 2.5 rounds after being listed as Mel Kiper's best available was almost as rough as watching Alan Lazard go undrafted.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
His odds of making it in the NFL are going down with every pick that goes by. Once you get into rounds 5-7 its full of guys who never end up sniffing an NFL roster.

Neither early or late rounds guarantee anything outside of an early contract/ signing bonus.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Are people really this emotionally distraught over if/when an ISU player gets drafted?

Like are you really crushed or sad?
Nah but we need all them NIL dollars, and perception of ISU guys getting drafted high. I'll wake up in the morning same as I am tonight though.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Are people really this emotionally distraught over if/when an ISU player gets drafted?

Like are you really crushed or sad?
In the end, I just want the best possible scenario for any Cyclone drafted. Round/selection make a difference with the initial contract, so the higher the pick the more $ in the players pocket. Plus is helps solidify the perception of the Campbell/ISU program getting more position groups in the NFL.

Now in the larger scheme, the importance is getting selected. Simple as that. However I think it is best to be in the first 5 rounds, as the UDFA money now seems equal, if not better, than what 6th & 7th round draft picks receive. Think they just said this on the NFL network, but I could have bear wrong or whomever said it could be full of bs, but it seems logical --

However, in my eyes it was almost a knock on the Purdy pick 2 years ago. Throw away your 7th round pick or take extreme high flyers as each team's efforts in throwing $ at UDFA's will be a players best move. Believe the thinking is the UDFAs will make the best fit for them personally.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Charlie Kolar & TJ Tampa both in Baltimore. Nice landing spot for TJ. I wished it was earlier for Tampa's wallet sake, but great organization & defense to land on.
After the first couple rounds better to go a little later to a good fit I feel like. Hopefully pays off in the long run

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron