T J

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Him being a great basketball coach doesn't make him great at all those other things. Unless you know him personally let's not annoint him...
I interacted with TJ a fair amount during his first tour of duty at Iowa State (when he was an assistant coach and a primary recruiter), and I can tell you he's a wonderful person, let alone a great coach.

Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Beyond his talent as a coach, here's what I admire about the Wizard of Otz: No freaking drama. No yelling, no cursing, no tantrums, no histrionics. He shakes every kid's hand who comes off the floor, and then he goes back to the game. A real asset in an era of the Tang-Tangs, the Kelvinators, the Squawk Franatics, and the other Drama Kweenze of Koaching.

Coach.jpg

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Since the 2015 coaching search will inevitably get brought up - it's clear TJ is a better fit for ISU than SP was, so in hindsight that would've been the right hire.

But in a way we also benefited from TJ coming in at such a low point. It gave him the latitude to rebuild everything as he saw fit; when you go 2-22 and winless in conference there are no sacred cows. That probably expedited the rebuild.
Plus it gave him a couple seasons to go cut his teeth as a head coach at SDST and UNLV. Having some experience is way better than having none.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I love having TJ as our coach. I think it’s a little early to think about his legacy in terms of where he ranks of all-time Cyclone coaches. However, I agree with the OP- I feel like we have a chance to win every game we play in and that makes every game fun to watch.

TJ seems like a great guy and the thing I like about him most is that he loves Iowa State. You hear it in his interviews and just how he talks about our program- he’s one of us and that’s a huge plus in my book.

The only thing I wonder is if he can get us to that next step- that Final 4 or Elite 8 season on a regular basis. I think most seasons we‘re a solid 20-22 win team and a first or second round of the NCAA tournament, with the occasional Sweet 16 appearance. Just not sure if he can take us to the next level.

What does 'regular basis' consist of? Like how often?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
He's a really good talent evaluator. He finds these guys that have all the right attributes to fit the culture he wants. Then he gets maximum effort and builds their endurance to sustain his high standards. He's my favorite coach and I was really skeptical of the hire. I hope he never leaves.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I think TJ really knows how to interract with these young men very well. That can get your guys to trust you more and buy into your system. TJ’s ability to interact with these high school and college level athletes is part of what makes him such a good recruiter well. In addition, him and his wife love everything about ISU and want to be here. He’s exactly what we need for this basketball program.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
I didn't think TJ would be hired because of the perception that JP passed over him in favor of Prohm. And that if TJ got the job after Prohm, it would be JP admitting that he made a mistake the last go-round. That the Prohm hire was a waste of however many years. Glad we have TJ now and even more so of JP and how he handles the entire AD.

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
What does 'regular basis' consist of? Like how often?
If we could get to the E8 or F4 once every 4 or 5 years, that would be taking us to the next level in my opinion.
Right now, we’re a solid team that gets to the tournament most years and the occasional S16. My question is whether TJ can get us to that next level where we’re making a deep run every 4 years or so.

Reactions: cyence and nrg4isu

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Waiting for ZRF to pontificate.. ;)
I actually feel I know @ZRF pretty well so allow me to speak for him.

TJ is ok but is really holding himself back in that he refuses to embrace my(@ZRF) well intended (and frankly quite superior) suggestions. I mean, he is doing ok but his in game management, insistence on playing BRE and Pav is obviously wrong. Couple with that his inability to properly instruct players to make 90+% FTs along with wasting the opportunity he has in a 5* on the bench and it is no wonder he has lost some games. Other than pretty much sucking as a basketball coach, I (@ZRF) really like him.

I can't help but be critical, the unbelievable talent I brought to the floor as a JuCo reserve guard just a few years ago is still part of my soul and feeds my incredible basketball intellect. I don't expect you non John Wooden types to grasp by insights but trust me, I know basketball.

Lets face it, we are stuck with him and not me (@ZRF) at least for another year or two until his facade of a program catches up with him. If you would join me (@ZRF) in emailing Pollard to make sure he doesn't make a similar mistake again, I can assure you I (@ZRF) will lead you to the promised land.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If we could get to the E8 or F4 once every 4 or 5 years, that would be taking us to the next level in my opinion.
Right now, we’re a solid team that gets to the tournament most years and the occasional S16. My question is whether TJ can get us to that next level where we’re making a deep run every 4 years or so.

That would be fun but that's a super high bar.

I'm curious what programs have reached those types of tourney runs at that clip.

Reactions: VeloClone

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I didn't think TJ would be hired because of the perception that JP passed over him in favor of Prohm. And that if TJ got the job after Prohm, it would be JP admitting that he made a mistake the last go-round. That the Prohm hire was a waste of however many years. Glad we have TJ now and even more so of JP and how he handles the entire AD.
JP didn't pass over him the first time - TJ was who he wanted to replace Fred, but Leath wouldn't allow it.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
That's incredibly unrealistic

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
1 Elite 8 and he equals the best in my lifetime.
1 Final Four and he equals an all-time ISU mark.
2 of either = Rename Hilton Coliseum!

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
When he was hired I was worried because I thought of him as one of "Fred's guys". Fred was successful because he was able to recruit NBA players to run an NBA offense. I worried TJ would try to run Fred's system without Fred's players and it would be a disaster.

How wrong I was.

This.

I hated Hoiball with a passion. At first it was exciting but the longer he was here the more it felt like the program had plateaued. We constantly relied on the 3, rarely played defense, and usually underachieved. What really did me in was how he handled the last 2 minutes of the McLemore bank game at Allen. It was some of the more strategically bereft basketball I've ever seen. While most will point to the bank, it was the lack of defensive subs, using TOs, and poor foul strategy that did us in. He literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

TJ isn't perfect but I like our teams a lot more than when Fred was here. We play defense, we don't rely as much on the 3 ball, and usually match or exceed the talent on the team. The guys play their ass off for him and that signifies the respect he has from the team.

I didn't want another Fred clone and thought we had one after what I thought I saw at UNLV. Glad I was wrong.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
JP didn't pass over him the first time - TJ was who he wanted to replace Fred, but Leath wouldn't allow it.

Was pretty sure that was reportedly only half true. Leath made him do a full search. JP selected Prohm over TJ based on that though, and could have selected TJ.

• Agree
Reactions: Spam

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
TJ isn't perfect but I like our teams a lot more than when Fred was here.

Seeing how you've posted about TJ, if you had posted back then that amount of negative energy could probably have powered a small nation or something.

Help Support Us

Become a patron