Taco Bell in Ames... CLOSED???

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
The Keg Shop -- er, Campustown Liquors(?) -- is in the old Hardee's building. I think you can still see a faded remnant on one of the signs in/near their parking lot.

Good point, but I think that was a Hardees before my time. I went to school in the 1990s.

I think the Blimpie moved in while I was in school. Does that mean there used to be a Maid Rite in Campustown also?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Good point, but I think that was a Hardees before my time. I went to school in the 1990s.

I think the Blimpie moved in while I was in school. Does that mean there used to be a Maid Rite in Campustown also?

Maid rite was in campus town for about a year. It was close the the varsity theater. It is now called Angies Cantina, where I think they serve breakfast food, Mexican food and beer.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Maid rite was in campus town for about a year. It was close the the varsity theater. It is now called Angies Cantina, where I think they serve breakfast food, Mexican food and beer.

I believe the maid-rite was in the old burger king building. They had some really strange hours and didn't really advertise when they opened. I think that location is just cursed. There has been a lot of different places in and out of there.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I believe the maid-rite was in the old burger king building. They had some really strange hours and didn't really advertise when they opened. I think that location is just cursed. There has been a lot of different places in and out of there.

Was it there after Burger King? That BK was there for a long time.

mksmith2

Apr 30, 2010
Ames, IA
I did enjoy the Taco's there honestly. They only wreaked hell on my stomach once as compared to other Taco's I've had. That said, it was dirty but man I loved the Baja Blast, honestly my favorite mountain dew, I wish they'd start bottling that stuff. It was the PERFECT hangover cure (for me anyway) certainly not the best tacos in town (that award goes to Es Tas) but still good.

4starcashier

Nov 29, 2010
I'm not an ISU student or anything, but I must give my input on this!

I am upset that this Taco Bell closed. Not only was it one of the more rare Taco Bell restaurants that weren't mixed in with other YUM! brands such has KFC, Long John Silver's or Pizza Hut Express, but it was in Campustown!

Me and a buddy come to Ames a lot and we were gonna nab some TB on the way out of town but we were ULTIMATELY ****** off when we saw it was closed.

I know there are a lot of users on here that spoke about this particular TB negatively, but I've been there quite a bit (not as much as the students or Ames residents) but I have always had great service and food, and I liked their ordering counter. It made it look more like a local pizza joint than anything.

I do agree with some of the users on here about the concentrating everything to S Duff Ave. Though it's convenient to have Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, Best Buy, Borders, and everything else and their mother down there, we have to be honest that the mall is hurting like no other, and hate the fact that everything is moving to one spot in the city. Campustown is nice, but I would like to see the transit center they are building. It is rather difficult to find a parking space, particularly during the bar hours on Fridays and Saturdays. At least they are relocating instead of closing for good.

I heard the church next door owned the parking lot and wanted the parking lot back. I know this sounds like a lame reason, but maybe the owner had some tiff with the church for the past few years and said the hell with it and closed up.

Does anyone have any solid credible information about this? Thanks!

Nate

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I'm not an ISU student or anything, but I must give my input on this!

I am upset that this Taco Bell closed. Not only was it one of the more rare Taco Bell restaurants that weren't mixed in with other YUM! brands such has KFC, Long John Silver's or Pizza Hut Express, but it was in Campustown!

Me and a buddy come to Ames a lot and we were gonna nab some TB on the way out of town but we were ULTIMATELY ****** off when we saw it was closed.

I know there are a lot of users on here that spoke about this particular TB negatively, but I've been there quite a bit (not as much as the students or Ames residents) but I have always had great service and food, and I liked their ordering counter. It made it look more like a local pizza joint than anything.

I do agree with some of the users on here about the concentrating everything to S Duff Ave. Though it's convenient to have Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, Best Buy, Borders, and everything else and their mother down there, we have to be honest that the mall is hurting like no other, and hate the fact that everything is moving to one spot in the city. Campustown is nice, but I would like to see the transit center they are building. It is rather difficult to find a parking space, particularly during the bar hours on Fridays and Saturdays. At least they are relocating instead of closing for good.

I heard the church next door owned the parking lot and wanted the parking lot back. I know this sounds like a lame reason, but maybe the owner had some tiff with the church for the past few years and said the hell with it and closed up.

Does anyone have any solid credible information about this? Thanks!

Nate

Here's what I heard going to the Bell on the second-to-last night of its operation. I got a chance to talk with the staff there, who were in high spirits despite losing their jobs. They really are the friendliest staff you will find anywhere.

I was told by one of the workers that the church next door just to their east on Lincoln Way wanted to expand their parking lot. They made it worth the franchise owner's while to sell the location and rebuild out on Duff (must have really wanted those parking spaces).

Not sure if this has already been posted but here is a link to an Iowa State Daily article about the loss of the Taco Bell.

I agree that S Duff seems to be getting everything, but with the Campustown revitalization project that is now underway I'm confident that'll help things out.

Hibby

Nov 27, 2010
Waterloo

Speaking of Blimpie, I blimped up on Superdog and Pokey Stix when I stayed up in Ames all the time. My friends lived at Freddy Court and we'd try hard to find a sober driver to take us to Superdog, if that didn't work we'd settle on Pokey Stix. Neither of the aforementioned really were that good now that I think of it, but man, at 2 am it was amazing. I had each for the first time when I was wasted, and only ate them wasted. War Pita Pit!

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I have also heard they were moving to Duff because of lease issues.

I really hope they get something else in there quickly, because that old taco bell is a block away from my house and now I have nowhere to run to real quick like.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I have also heard they were moving to Duff because of lease issues.

I really hope they get something else in there quickly, because that old taco bell is a block away from my house and now I have nowhere to run to real quick like.
I wonder if they're going to occupy the old Wendy's right by the Super Walmart? That Wendy's closed some time ago. I also wonder if they're going to close the KFC on Lincolnway?

khehr

Apr 28, 2009
Ames
I wonder if they're going to occupy the old Wendy's right by the Super Walmart? That Wendy's closed some time ago. I also wonder if they're going to close the KFC on Lincolnway?

The wendys that is right in front of Super Walmart Is not closed.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Looked open the other day?