Taking my 2017 high school grad on visit to campus tomorrow

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Stop by the football facility. I hear the staff is really welcoming to guests.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
A lot has changed in the five years since I graduated...30 it'll probably be a different world. I was just browsing some old aerial photos of Ames & ISU from the Ames Historical Society website. (very cool stuff for anyone interested)

Are you taking any sort of official tour (do they even do those in the summer?). Even if so, take time to just wander around campus and take it all in. Most buildings should be open since classes are in session. Stop by the admin office of whatever dept(s) your child is interested in and grab flyers for programs of interest, see if an advisor or faculty member has 10 minutes to chat, read the bulletin boards to see what kind of research and projects faculty have been doing. Grab a bite to eat somewhere in Campustown or otherwise near campus. Second the vote to visit the football facility, at least to look around.

Man I miss Ames and Iowa State.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
If she has a couple friends leaning toward Hawkdumb, take them with you. there are many stories of tag-alongs on their way to U of Iowa, who switch to ISU after visiting Ames with their cyclone-to-be friend

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Perfect day to visit campus. I agree with the suggestions above (West Street Deli is a good lunch spot, so is Cafe Beaudelaire in Campustown or Thai Kitchen). Also, if your child is into recreation, definitely take him or her to State Gym to see the facility. It is just remarkable how well they redid all that. If it's been thirty years, I think the last time you were on campus that parking lot and addition to State Gym was a track and a vestige of Clyde Williams Field.

*Wait, it's been 30 years since you navigated campus but you live in Ankeny!? We need to get you to Ames more. Hopefully a Freshman in 2017 is a good excuse.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Sometimes you can make a connection for the kids by sharing campus traditions that you remember like the zodiac, the campanile, your dorm/apartment/greek residence, any building that you spent the bulk of your time haunting. Like someone else said, visit the admin office of the department(s) housing the major(s) your kid is interested in. If you go online, most departments have someone who does the recruiting of undergrads, or a lead departmental adviser...contacting them directly, you can often get a personalized tour of the department, and they can arrange brief visits with faculty in the area of interest. I see family tours in our department on a daily basis all summer.

I believe they may offer campus tours, but I think those are part of orientation (which is of course for students already accepted/enrolled for fall). Here's a link to what Admissions has to offer:

http://www.admissions.iastate.edu/visit/

Good luck - I hope you have a second gen Cyclone on your hands. :)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sometimes you can make a connection for the kids by sharing campus traditions that you remember like the zodiac, the campanile, your dorm/apartment/greek residence, any building that you spent the bulk of your time haunting. Like someone else said, visit the admin office of the department(s) housing the major(s) your kid is interested in. If you go online, most departments have someone who does the recruiting of undergrads, or a lead departmental adviser...contacting them directly, you can often get a personalized tour of the department, and they can arrange brief visits with faculty in the area of interest. I see family tours in our department on a daily basis all summer.

I believe they may offer campus tours, but I think those are part of orientation (which is of course for students already accepted/enrolled for fall). Here's a link to what Admissions has to offer:

http://www.admissions.iastate.edu/visit/

Good luck - I hope you have a second gen Cyclone on your hands. :)

Murder House is getting to you, KC. :smile:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Also - park in one of the two ramps, or park at Jack Trice & ride the shuttle. Even though classes aren't in session, all of the faculty & staff are still there and we pay for the parking spaces in the gen staff & reserved lots for the whole year...and we USE them all summer!

A lot of people get tickets in the summer because they think we're all gone... :)

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If you know the major they're looking at, I would call ahead and see if you can meet with someone. Park at the MU ramp, walk through campus, meet with the advisor. After that maybe check out some dorms...guessing if you contact someone in the DoR they will set up a tour for you. Lunch in campus town. Then hit up the bookstore for some gear before you leave.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I would agree with the other posters here.

Try to get in with an adviser or rep from an area they are interested in. Figure out what buildings their major typically is in and do some tours on your own just to get a feel for everything. Walk through the MU and bookstore. Lunch at Cafe B or West Street Deli. Walk through Campustown. Go to State Gym for a quick tour - awesome facility. Football facility if you can. If your grad is a daughter and into nature Reiman Gardens would be a neat visit, IDK if a 17 year old boy would appreciate it that much. If your son/daughter is into running/fishing/biking/outdoor stuff I would go to Ada Hayden Park, just a cool place to drive out to and take in and a lot of college kids spend time out there.

Just writing that list brings back good memories and makes me want to go back!

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Wear a chin guard because your jaw is going to drop to the ground when you see all of the changes. :smile:

If you truly haven't been there in 30 years, then just the fact that someone mentioned that you need to check out State Gym should have you scratching your head and asking "Why???"... (It is really cool).

You may not know your way around campus as well as you think you do. I agree with others that suggested a tour specific to your child's area of interest.

Transient

Apr 17, 2008
Cyride has expanded exponentially since then, grab a schedule and start trying to understand it... Currently Bessy is being expanded, so there is much new construction in that area, there is a giant hole at the corner of stange and university, stange ave bridge north of 13th is closed you need to detour if going to Sommerset for lunch, they are redoing the fountain north of the MU so beware there...

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
this was the time of year I went for a visit as well.........worked out well :) Campus is beautiful this time of year (and not too shabby the rest of the year either)

Totally agree with the other suggestions to try and call ahead to stop in at the department they are interested in and see if they can get a few minutes with a professor/advisor. Official tour is fine but since you are a grad, walk around just the two (three if other parent is going?) of you and talk about all the traditions and fun you had. It'll be more personal than the regular tour. Have fun!

Holy hell, I just realized that my tour was 11 years ago now.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Let the campus do the sales pitch.

Don't come in on Duff Ave, use University Blvd, then cut over by stadium and come though one of those neighborhoods.

Walk from Lagomarcino Hall courtyard to north side of Central campus, west to Library and Marston, then back across central campus, through campanile to Memorial Union, then past the presidents house to Old RCA (Birch Welch Roberts). Also use the gravel path along Lake Laverne if need to follow Lincoln Way.

Lunch: West St Deli, Cafe Beaudelaire, Stomping Grounds patio (all campus area)
Dinner: the Cafe (somerset neighborhood), the Spice (downtown-Thai food, bit nicer), Great Plains Pizza (downtown)

Similar paths in springtime at least sealed deal for me...15 years ago.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
I graduated a little over a year ago
-Definitely take him to Howe and Hoover hall,
-Show your grad around the new campus town
-Take a walk around lake Laverne
-Take a walk around central campus
-Of course try to look at the JTS and Hilton
-Get a tour, I am sure someone in Beardshear can help you with that.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Sounds like someone needs to rent a Segway to see all of the changes

Iowa State University of Science and Technology - Iowa's flagship university