Talen Horton-Tucker next year

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He was a pretty pesky defender last year with other good perimeter defenders around him. I think our defensive issues are not necessarily that guys are bad playing one-on-one against opponents, but rather we just break down on team defense rather easily. We struggle against the PNR, turn the ball over on offense a lot (which puts us in sketchy fast-break defensive situations), and suck at rotations/give up a lot of open threes and dunks underneath.

Absolutely. Our defense is a group effort where on the ball isn’t great, help isn’t great and that combination leaves to big breakdowns.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
To add on with what others have said, Wigginton IS one of those freshman having a GREAT year. Yeah he can still improve. Yeah the team is up and down because of its flaws. But Wigginton might be the best freshman performer here since Fizer.

The only freshmen who have better years than a guy like Wigginton are the first rounders. There's not many of them, and Iowa State has never made its living off of them, again, with the possible exception of Fizer.

Wigginton is having a freshman year very close to what Stinson had. I think most people forget how good of a freshman year Stinson did have. I also thought before the season that Wigginton would have a freshman year similar to Stinson.
upload_2018-1-25_13-30-47.png

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wigginton is having a freshman year very close to what Stinson had. I think most people forget how good of a freshman year Stinson did have. I also thought before the season that Wigginton would have a freshman year similar to Stinson.
View attachment 53188
Fortunately he's an even better shooter than Curtis.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
View attachment 53188

Wiggi is actually slightly better...

FRESHMAN STINSON:
upload_2018-1-25_14-57-57.png

FRESHMAN WIGGINTON:
upload_2018-1-25_14-58-11.png

-- Wiggi is a much better three-point shooter
-- he also attempts more of them, so a much higher implicit EFG%
-- Stinson had more rebounds and assists, but also more turnovers
-- then again, Wiggi is playing an off-guard position, so that would make sense
-- Wiggi is actually scoring more, too, though, again, positions

So yeah, pretty close, but I would give Wigginton a slight edge for the shooting.

That might be the difference in the "era" of basketball, so maybe they were each better fits for their time, but Wigginton is definitely a better fit for right now.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wiggi is actually slightly better...

FRESHMAN STINSON:
View attachment 53191

FRESHMAN WIGGINTON:
View attachment 53192

-- Wiggi is a much better three-point shooter
-- he also attempts more of them, so a much higher implicit EFG%
-- Stinson had more rebounds and assists, but also more turnovers
-- then again, Wiggi is playing an off-guard position, so that would make sense
-- Wiggi is actually scoring more, too, though, again, positions

So yeah, pretty close, but I would give Wigginton a slight edge for the shooting.

That might be the difference in the "era" of basketball, so maybe they were each better fits for their time, but Wigginton is definitely a better fit for right now.
Maybe you can refresh my memory, but I thought Curtis played more 2 than 1? Same as Wigginton so far

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Maybe you can refresh my memory, but I thought Curtis played more 2 than 1? Same as Wigginton so far

Good point. Curtis was a freshman at ISU when I was a junior in high school, so my memories are more of his last year in Ames as a junior when I was a fresh.

I guess that just means Wigginton is a Curtis Stinson that can shoot the three. Stinson might have rebounded and assisted more, but he was also more careless with the ball.

That equals a very good basketball player.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Dingus

May 23, 2013
He was a pretty pesky defender last year with other good perimeter defenders around him. I think our defensive issues are not necessarily that guys are bad playing one-on-one against opponents, but rather we just break down on team defense rather easily. We struggle against the PNR, turn the ball over on offense a lot (which puts us in sketchy fast-break defensive situations), and suck at rotations/give up a lot of open threes and dunks underneath.
I thought Jackson was arguably our best perimeter defender last year. This year, not so much. Mostly just seems to get weird perimeter fouls.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought Jackson was arguably our best perimeter defender last year. This year, not so much. Mostly just seems to get weird perimeter fouls.

I would agree. Better help/team around him, though, to be fair.

I think Jackson used to have an easier draw, too, compared to this year.

Matt Thomas usually had the best perimeter scorer last season.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Scoring isn’t everything in basketball

Is defense important in basketball?

Here's a breakdown of Jackson....

Things he does very well...
-Offense
-Defense
-Being the alpha male on the court

Things he struggles at...
-Blocking shots
-Penetrating into the lane and finishing

Yeah, he's pretty much a bench player in all aspects of the game of basketball.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought the critique of THT was his athleticism and fitness, kind of like it was for Georges while in prep school and before his junior year...?

I never remember Georges hammering down Deonte-like tomahawks like that...

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I thought the critique of THT was his athleticism and fitness, kind of like it was for Georges while in prep school and before his junior year...?

I never remember Georges hammering down Deonte-like tomahawks like that...
I believe it was a perception because of his body type. But he is certainly more athletic than Georges haha.