Talen Horton-Tucker

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Does anybody know why his playing time fluctuates so wildly? He’ll have a few games where he scores 20+ points, then maybe one where he scores in the teens, then he doesn’t play hardly at all for a stretch of games. Is he dealing with injuries or something?

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
Must be hurt. Only played 18 minutes total in the last 10 games

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I don't know if he's hurt. I think he has had quite a few DNP-CD recently. I think Jazz are trying other things rotation wise and I could see him getting traded.

Trade makes sense for Utah if they don't see him as a future piece as he is a free agent this summer.

Reactions: IstateClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iirc it was a similar pattern at ISU. He could be incredible or would drop off. It was largely attributed to him being a super young freshman but maybe it's just how he is.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
A lot of his playing time this year came due to other injuries (Collin Sexton especially, I think).

For whatever reason the Jazz just never found a fit for him in the rotation. He’s always been a bit of a tweener, as a ball-dominant non-point guard with the length to guard big guards small forwards on defense, but never a consistent 3 point shot. He clearly has some NBA level skills, but finding a good role to slot him into remains a challenge. I have to think he’ll get another contract in free agency next year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just a 1 or 2 year ‘vet minimum’ contract

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Jazz are really happy with the bench combinations they're using that have really worked lately so he's out of the rotation. No idea if they're indeed trying to trade him - they'd probably be happy to get him off their books - but I don't think that's why he's not in the rotation.

I'm with @clonechemist; I don't envision a huge FA market for him next year unless something changes between now and the end of the season. Frankly, I'd rather have Nader on my team than THT and he doesn't seem to have any traction to get back in the league.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
THT has always been a guy that looks like he could be an all star but also plays like a Euro league dude. He never really lives up to the potential but has enough flashes here or there to keep people thinking he has just one more small step before getting over the hump. It’s been that since his shining moment in Hawaii at ISU.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
THT has always been a guy that looks like he could be an all star but also plays like a Euro league dude. He never really lives up to the potential but has enough flashes here or there to keep people thinking he has just one more small step before getting over the hump. It’s been that since his shining moment in Hawaii at ISU.

He benefits from his representation, too.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone06 and Pat

Fall Creek

Oct 28, 2023
Frustrating player to watch, obvious talent but lacks focus. That 2019 team should have been so much better with Shayok, Haliburton was the 6th man! Instead Prohm just let Wiggs and THT chase stats and draft coverage.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'd imagine it's alot like his time here. At times, an unstoppable player. At other times, kind of a liability out there. I imagine as a young guy they're trying to hold him accountable for his practice habits and game performance, and it plays out with how much time he spends on the court.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This. Full of talent but can never consistently put it together. Frustrating player IMO.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
On THT's behalf he's certainly not the only 'unicorn' who has not (yet) lived up to his 'potential' due to never finding a clear role on a team.

Everyone seems to think he has issues with attitude and discipline. Is there real info on this, or is this another case of fans not liking a player who doesn't 'look' like he's playing hard?

I sincerely hope he finds a good fit with his next team. If he doesn't, he probably won't get much more leash in the NBA to figure it out.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I went to this game in November against the Timberwolves. THT's usage was super confusing, and the offense for the Jazz was surprisingly stupid. The strategy seemed to be to just let Keyontae George shoot whenever and wherever (4-19, ugh). Agbaji was underutilized, though Sexton provided a nice spark off the bench.

When THT would come in, he was the primary ball-handler and the offense was: THT bring the ball up, pass to someone for an iso or contested shot. It was really ugly and didn't utilize THT as a mismatch or his skills at all short of a couple of drives to the hoop. The offense seemed to keep him at the top of the key after distributing. It was not pretty.

1705419218850.png

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I went to this game in November against the Timberwolves. THT's usage was super confusing, and the offense for the Jazz was surprisingly stupid. The strategy seemed to be to just let Keyontae George shoot whenever and wherever (4-19, ugh). Agbaji was underutilized, though Sexton provided a nice spark off the bench.

When THT would come in, he was the primary ball-handler and the offense was: THT bring the ball up, pass to someone for an iso or contested shot. It was really ugly and didn't utilize THT as a mismatch or his skills at all short of a couple of drives to the hoop. The offense seemed to keep him at the top of the key after distributing. It was not pretty.

View attachment 122288
He's a guy that has shown he struggles a lot creating a shot when the defenses collapse. He's a pure athletic guy that can create in space, but that's not usually going to happen given his position, skills, body, etc. It's why I think a lot of us questioned that he would be the eventual all-star that many draft guys predicted. He always looked/looks like he has a potential sky-high ceiling but those moments have been pretty far apart when you match him up with other athletic freaks with better shooting skills.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Am I the only one that has no emotional attachment to THT or Wiggington? I really couldn't care less how they do. It's so weird because I'm usually the first in line to get as much info on players post ISU.

Reactions: 2122

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Am I the only one that has no emotional attachment to THT or Wiggington? I really couldn't care less how they do. It's so weird because I'm usually the first in line to get as much info on players post ISU.
They do stand out a bit as guys that never really connected with the fans as much as others. Some of it was the era and teams they were on, who they were surrounded by, and their personalities. They are certainly sons of Iowa State and have done nothing to diminish the tie, but I agree they don't have the same connection as so many others of the era (Naz, Monte, Haliburton, Ejim, Kane, Royce, etc).

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron