talk to me like i am five

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
since my last random thought thread was a success but got the nix, let me start another fun one. this thread is a no judgement thread on thoughts you always wonder but never looked up. feel free to quote the question and answer it if you know the answer to the posters question. once again, no judgement or ridicule. leave politics and religion out please

i will start

when you get an itch, what causes that and why?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

Answer for a five year-old : You itch when the nerve cells in your skin are upset, and they need a hug. So they send a signal to the brain, and the brain causes your skin to itch so that you know something is upsetting your body. You then "hug" those nerve cells by scratching your skin where it itches. Scratching is a way to make what's bothering your nerve cells - like dust or a bug bite - forget about what's bothering them. They then let the brain know that they have calmed down, and the itching stops.

moo-u

Apr 12, 2006
sheldon
This happened in the barn years ago. My youngest son asked the question and my oldest boy answered.....

"Daddy, why do we pull them yucky things outta somma the baby pigs butts?

"Baby pigs are like baby cherries Joe, when they grow up we're gonna eat um, and we're just being smart and pulling the pits out now when they're easier to hang on to"

evelynr

Sep 9, 2014
since my last random thought thread was a success but got the nix, let me start another fun one. this thread is a no judgement thread on thoughts you always wonder but never looked up. feel free to quote the question and answer it if you know the answer to the posters question. once again, no judgement or ridicule. leave politics and religion out please

i will start

If you don't listen to mum and don't take a proper bath, if you don't wash off your dirty hand and feet after you play in the field with Jess, you will get those little bugs crawling on your skin and bite you and then you will get the itch - well, pretty much this is what I tell my little one when she gets the itching :) But she is only 3 and a half yo.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This reminds me of why I don't watch Diane Sawyer.

It's like I'm in kindergarten and she's the teacher talking to me in overly expressive ways to make sure I not only understand what she's saying, but that I understand the seriousness of what she's saying.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

I think the bigger question is: why does an itch keep moving?! It seems you scratch the spot and then it just moves somewhere else until you end up spending a full five minutes chasing the itch around!