Targeting

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
I agree that by definition, Young committed a targeting penalty. (An aside, but so did Hathcock on his tackle, and an OU player near the end of the game, neither of which were called). The spirit of the penalty is to eliminate headhunters and cheap shots. Im fine with a 15 yd penalty bc it happened, but can't they use some goddamn common sense and not throw people out of games for non-malicious type plays like Young's? (See Enyi vs Wash St). Felt terrible for Young. Rule sucks as currently written

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
There were tons of times when the coaches on both sides stepped over the white lines on the sidelines. AND tons of times people were not making masks or high fiving without wearing gloves and not immediately using hand sanitizer afterwards. Need the Law enforced and some of the fans need to be tazed.
Seriously, the ejection was total BS Bush League lazy ass poor judgement.

Reactions: atlantacyclone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think this was a misapplication of the rule. The rule says forceable contact to the head or neck area. For example in this case we saw forceable contact to the lower body which became the head due to the offensive player. The problem is the officials seem incapable of understanding who is initiating the head and neck area aspect.

With that said the rule needs completely axed and redone. There should not be an automatic ejection for this penalty. There also needs to be the ability for ejection on other plays. The two facemasks on Oklahoma were far more dangerous and were intentional.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Hathcock’s wasn’t on a defenseless player, but yeah there was definitely some helmet to helmet.

It’s too hard to judge intent unless it’s a Vontaze Burfict type player launching with the crown of his helmet trying to decapitate people. Leave the rule as is, but make it like unsportsmanlike penalties and require 2 for ejection.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
There is a difference between Youngs targeting and a guy like Vontaze Burfict head-hunting, and yet they carry the same punishment. Players should not be ejected for doing what Young did. 15 yard penalty? Fine. Its not something that just happens to us; I think most rational fans would agree.

Reactions: ISUEmbassy

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I agree it was the right call and I hope this is a big learning moment for Young. He reminds me of a young Jaquan Bailey. He let's his energy get in the way of playing smart. That play reminded me sooo much of the Texas game when Bailey did a somersault that killed momentum. Huge teaching moment.

• Disagree
Reactions: casey1973

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think they need to be able to differentiate targeting and unnecessary roughness. Keep targeting helmet or launching but unnecessary roughness for shoulder hits to defenseless receivers.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's unfortunate for Young, but the rule is the rule and you have to pull up. In my opinion I don't think what Young did is what needs to be taken out of the game, his hit wasn't dirty, but it was illegal.

For as much as people hate the refs, do you really want them to also use their judgement on calls like that and determine if it was malicious or not? Imagine if that's the way the rule worked and they determined Young's hit was malicious, which they could do because it'd be completely subjective.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
It's unfortunate for Young, but the rule is the rule and you have to pull up. In my opinion I don't think what Young did is what needs to be taken out of the game, his hit wasn't dirty, but it was illegal.

For as much as people hate the refs, do you really want them to also use their judgement on calls like that and determine if it was malicious or not? Imagine if that's the way the rule worked and they determined Young's hit was malicious, which they could do because it'd be completely subjective.

Have you ever played football?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes it was never intended. Going to need to review that this offseason.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
It’s such a stupid rule. Young going low suddenly gets turned into targeting because the rule is written in such a terrible way

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

Help Support Us

Become a patron