Taylor Swift - Tortured Poets Department

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Well, awesome of course except for that out of state tuition!

She wants to go to med school and got a big scholarship at Ohio State and can go to the school on the eastern side of Iowa for next to nothing.

But barring a big Scholly from UW it’s probably not happening. She’s accepted but they haven’t sent a financial package yet. Highly doubt they will give enough.

UW is awesome, but tOSU, and yes even EIU are great places for health science stuff. Wish I was rich and could send her to UW.

She can come back for med school! But sounds like she'll be getting a great education regardless!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Look, I appreciate the effort but women can tell you they still have relationship issues with men 20 yrs in. YOYOK and Bigger than the whole sky are probably my faves off the last one. Anti Hero was fun - I didn't interpret those as romantic relationship songs. And at the end of the day...relationships are a pretty universal experience. This particular critique isually coupled with the ever present comments about the number of romantic relationships has always smelled bad to me. Plus it seems she's largely been coded as teen girl adjacent so she gets the pumpkin spice treatment of "anything girls like is to be mocked and belittled." Not that she's immune from criticism. I can agree with some of what you said and have my own as well.

Like clearly what she's doing career wise is working and no one is in her universe for the parasocial game - which is really probably the secret sauce.

I never saw "Anti-Hero" as a boy/girl love song. I thought it was a "maybe I'm the problem" song.

A fine song, and one I think that would work better with a true rock beat instead of a synthpop soundscape, but it's another IV I V iv four-chord sequence by her. The production dresses it up as best that it can and the lyrics are introspective by her, but it is just going to end up sounding like other songs.

I get romantic love is one of the primary sources for inspiration for all songwriters (women and men alike). But she's very and almost exclusively reliant on it. And she's almost always singing with her own voice about her own experience and feelings without mixing in much for metaphor. She has occasionally gotten away from that narrow focus (especially on the folksy pandemic albums that I like) but only rarely.

Plenty of male and female rockstars and popstars have had troubled personal lives (and looking at the "Personal Life" section on Wikipedia for many of them looks like a thermonuclear weapon went off there). Plenty of them used that for inspiration in their songwriting. But plenty more of them used other themes as the foundation for songs and albums... especially when they recorded 10+ of them. George Harrison put "Something" on Abbey Road, yeah, a quintessential love song, but he also put "Here Comes the Sun" on there, a life-affirming and beautiful song meditating on life and loss. I wish she would try riskier things like that.

I'm not critical of her personal life. I actually don't know much about it. You're right she's the master of the parasocial relationship. I like her for her friendly, bubbly self rather than whoever she is dating and want to meet her cats. The only relationship of hers I know much of anything about is the current one with Travis Kelce because I knew who Travis Kelce was a long time ago and she keeps popping up on the TV whenever I try to watch football on Sunday and the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes are breaking the heart of yet another opponent.

I find it hard to square that her personal life is irrelevant to her public persona when it is central to her work as a musician and, as you said, foundational to the parasocial relationship so many of her fans have with her. They bonded with her over songs about the same ****** boyfriends they had growing up.

I try to keep it about music and cats, though, and occasionally football.

Music? I give her a solid "B." Always listenable if a bit repetitive. Slick and professional but very much anchored to its era and lacking in musical and lyrical adventurousness.

Cats? A+

I don't mind her at Chiefs' games. A few cuts to her isn't obnoxious. Though she could shut it down entirely if she wanted to and... she's chosen not to. Lots of NFL stars date famous actresses and models. Notice that you never see cuts to Hailee Steinfeld during Bills' games even though she's dating Josh Allen... because her PR team told the broadcast networks they didn't want her shown in that manner.

Taylor...? Doesn't seem to mind...

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I took that song more as one reflecting on her own anxieties/insecurities

I think our readings are compatible.

The song is her voice taking responsibility for so many of her own failures in life...

"It's me. Hi. I'm the problem its me."

...because of understandable things we all have like anxiety and insecurity.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I live with my wife and 4 daughters between the ages of 10-13. I am familiar with Swifts entire catalog.
Good luck with four in college! There is a ten year gap between first boy and fifth boy. But boys 3-5 were all in high school together one year and same at ISU.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Do you celebrate the entire catalog?
screens_feature2-1.jpg

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Oh man nailed it.

Don’t forget a song about how hard it is to park your four door Silverado that’s never hauled anything.

Maybe another about pissing around for 30 minutes getting your snowblower out to throw snow you could scoop in 15 mins.

Replace pissing around with a snowblower for 30 minutes with pissing every 30 minutes and I'm sold.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
LOL I'm old what the heck are plant moms?

They’re much like people who have pets call themselves dog moms or cat dads or call them furbabies.

I’ll admit I called myself a plant dad on a dating app once upon a time to see if it would help as I do actually own a bunch of plants. It didn’t.

Though I am on a fun vendetta with my apartment complex to have one of my plants be “pet of the month” and that they are discriminating against people who don’t have animals.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They’re much like people who have pets call themselves dog moms or cat dads or call them furbabies.

I’ll admit I called myself a plant dad on a dating app once upon a time to see if it would help as I do actually own a bunch of plants. It didn’t.

Though I am on a fun vendetta with my apartment complex to have one of my plants be “pet of the month” and that they are discriminating against people who don’t have animals.
Got to hand it to you, on the spectrum of casting a wide net vs finding your people, you picked a lane and went for it.

Reactions: madguy30

Help Support Us

Become a patron