TCU postgame thread

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
@clonedlion One can expect better than 17 points per game though. Nobody is expecting 50. Be reasonable here.
Agreed, but again, look at the circumstances. If they put up 50 in the cancelled game, we would look at that number slightly different. IF ISU beat iowa 13-10, and TCU 17-14 or 20-17, nobody is complaining about the offense. The problem is that they have yet to play Baylor, SDSU, Kansas. They played TOE and TCU, really good D's and almost pulled off the upset against OU two years in a row. I don't think you're taking things into context.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
What has caught me stupidly by surprise, is that our o-line seems to have taken a baby step back when two seniors graduated. Our ability to get short yards took a step back when Lanning graduated. Also, our ability to find clutch receptions on 3rd down and in the red zone took a major hit when Lazard graduated. In my mind all their contributions were minor and we wouldn't miss them. Now I just feel foolish becuase we miss them a great deal. This team will be fine. Campbell will figure out the play calls. Whomever plays QB (Noland/Kempt) should do better down the stretch now that two of the three toughest defenses we play are behind us. I still believe there are at least 5 more wins on our schedule.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not expecting ISU to run for 300+. I'd like to see them do something well, and play off of that. I'd like to see simply making sure to get the 1st down over going large when the 1st down is easier and higher percentage.
I thought they did better to throw on first down, attempt deep balls, etc. They were at TCU coming off two tough loses. Wasn't going to be a walk in the park.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
While early season stats are often misleading, the Iowa State offense has played the numbers 5,30,39 and 76th ranked defenses. Hopefully, the o-line cutting their teeth on this combination of good and/or athletic defenses can pay dividends and lead to some success going forward.

It may be no fluke that our best scoring output was against the lowest ranked defense that we have played, albeit, probably the most athletic in OU.

That being said, I hope Campbell is ready to open up the playbook. If he doesn't do something different, and commits to waiting too late to play guys vs playing them too soon, it may result in a lost season. As noted, we won't be sneaking up on anybody this year.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Not hitting the panic button yet. A loss next week would certainly make this feel like an insurmountable hill to climb. Win next week, see if the defense can slow down WVU at home, and we’re right back on track heading into the bye.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Not hitting the panic button yet. A loss next week would certainly make this feel like an insurmountable hill to climb. Win next week, see if the defense can slow down WVU at home, and we’re right back on track heading into the bye.
Agreed.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Agreed, but again, look at the circumstances. If they put up 50 in the cancelled game, we would look at that number slightly different. IF ISU beat iowa 13-10, and TCU 17-14 or 20-17, nobody is complaining about the offense. The problem is that they have yet to play Baylor, SDSU, Kansas. They played TOE and TCU, really good D's and almost pulled off the upset against OU two years in a row. I don't think you're taking things into context.

79 passing yards on 28 attempts is abysmal no matter who you are playing.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I thought they did better to throw on first down, attempt deep balls, etc. They were at TCU coming off two tough loses. Wasn't going to be a walk in the park.

And how did that work out?

There was a 3rd and 5ish type of play in the first half--someone was open in the middle of the field to get the first. ISU went deep to a not open Butler. Totally unnecessary and non productive.

I'm not as mad that ISU lost as much as this was another game where going simple likely makes for a better chance for success.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
And how did that work out?

There was a 3rd and 5ish type of play in the first half--someone was open in the middle of the field to get the first. ISU went deep to a not open Butler. Totally unnecessary and non productive.

I'm not as mad that ISU lost as much as this was another game where going simple likely makes for a better chance for success.
Agree to disagree. Again, I want them to be more efficient, but they didn't have an ideal start to the season. I suppose we can restart this conversation after they play teams like Baylor, Tech and Kansas and see if we are happy with what they are doing.

clone511

Mar 15, 2016
Urbandale, IA
That is not offering a counter point. You're just giving me a guy who has some of those sacks. Still does not concern me as far as ISU pass protection is concerned.

Don't pay this guy any attention. He's the same dumb**** that jumped on the forum last year prior to the Okie State game proclaiming how great the Okie State defense was, how they have X number of sacks, how bad ISU offense is.. the same offense that put up 42 (49*) points on their vaunted defense and only allowed 2 sacks. New year same **** from him. Some homer that has an account for every opponents forum that talks out of his ***. Okie State just gave up 28 to Kansas. KANSAS!

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I'm not expecting ISU to run for 300+. I'd like to see them do something well, and play off of that. I'd like to see simply making sure to get the 1st down over going large when the 1st down is easier and higher percentage.

That is not offering a counter point. You're just giving me a guy who has some of those sacks. Still does not concern me as far as ISU pass protection is concerned.

Ok. Let’s try this. Boise State is ranked higher that ISU. They have played four games this season, just like ISU. In their three games other than Oklahoma State, Brett Rypien has been sacked four times (1.33 sacks/gm). Against the Cowboys, he was sacked seven times (7.0 sacks/gm)!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree to disagree. Again, I want them to be more efficient, but they didn't have an ideal start to the season. I suppose we can restart this conversation after they play teams like Baylor, Tech and Kansas and see if we are happy with what they are doing.

The start to the season is a long time ago. Bad tackling and angles were what the main problem was vs. OU, and haven't improved, and the offense looks like something you do in high school.

• Funny
Reactions: flycy

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Don't pay this guy any attention. He's the same dumb**** that jumped on the forum last year prior to the Okie State game proclaiming how great the Okie State defense was, how they have X number of sacks, how bad ISU offense is.. the same offense that put up 42 (49*) points on their vaunted defense and only allowed 2 sacks. New year same **** from him. Some homer that has an account for every opponents forum that talks out of his ***. Okie State just gave up 28 to Kansas. KANSAS!
Hey! Is that really a photo of you? Wow! You look really cool! Are you sure you’re not bald with a 44 inch waist and small hands? :)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ok. Let’s try this. Boise State is ranked higher that ISU. They have played four games this season, just like ISU. In their three games other than Oklahoma State, Brett Rypien has been sacked four times (1.33 sacks/gm). Against the Cowboys, he was sacked seven times (7.0 sacks/gm)!

What does that have to do with Army sticking to what they do well vs. OU?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
ISU has scored 7 touchdowns through a fourth of the season. That’s 1.75 touchdowns per game or 12.25 points per game on touchdowns. Imagine if Ass wasn’t a good kicker.

clone511

Mar 15, 2016
Urbandale, IA
Hey! Is that really a photo of you? Wow! You look really cool! Are you sure you’re not bald with a 44 inch waist and small hands? :)

Actually, no, it's not. It's actually Will Forte, star in the movie MacGruber, released in 2010. Pretty funny movie actually, I highly recommend it. Since we're on a public forum it's common for most users to use a non-identifying profile picture, normally something that they find interesting or funny (queue MacGruber photo).

If you're that interested, I'm a 29 year old man, 6'1", 240 lbs, with a 36" waistline and my wife seems to think I have above average hands and I have a full head of thick black hair (slightly greyed on the sides). If you want to send me some new slacks or blue jeans, I prefer Joe's jeans (36x32) from Nordstrom, they're pretty comfortable jeans. I also have a full time job and live in (and own) a $300K house in the western suburbs of the Des Moines metro, in case you were wondering about my financial status as well.

I also don't spend my late to early morning hours trolling the upcoming opponents message boards from my mother's basement spouting off non-sensical statistics in a postgame forum that are completely unrelated to said team while also stereotyping it's users solely based on their profile picture after getting butthurt about someone calling me out on my ****. Have a nice day.