Tech HC Vacancy - Could They Hire Art Briles?

Should TTU consider Art Briles

• No, better canidates (list below)

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • No, obvious reasons

Votes: 152 69.4%
  • Yes, it'll be good for the conference to have a winner at Tech after this round of realignment

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Don't care as long as they remain an ISU punching bag

Votes: 52 23.7%

• Total voters

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
truly dont care who texas tech hires as their football coach.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
well-bye-bye.gif

Reactions: ruflosn

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

The 3-3-5 Heacock defense was built to stop an Art Briles offense. I think UT and OU leaving the conference significantly weakens the State of Texas power on the league (Great thing). If Tech were to rise to the top of the league, that power may shift back to the Lone Star State.

Move the HQ back to KC.. where it belongs.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I know 5 or 6 Tech fans pretty well and the one thing that they have in common is they all HATE anything related to Baylor. That hire would be tough for them to swallow.

Briles may get Tech back to a respectable level but that is the ultimate selling your soul to the devil IMO.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
He'll also be 66 years old in a few weeks. It's absurd.

Yeah, I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze here.

If he were fifteen years younger maybe you could talk yourself into it but is he really going to coach long enough to make the **** storm worth it?

If you're going to get into the Briles business I think the better idea would be to hire his son, who could then hire his dad as a consultant/non recruiting staff member.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If they do hire him, give CMC a $250K bonus if he can hang a 70 spot on them.

If they do hire him I hope every school beats them by 70 and has a women’s shelter that gets 1,000 for every touchdown scored.

Reactions: carvers4math

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
If they do hire him I hope every school beats them by 70 and has a women’s shelter that gets 1,000 for every touchdown scored.
That is a great idea for a CF fundraiser. If Briles is hired, you can donate $1 for every point scored against tech to a charity that supports women in difficult situations. Not only does it help support women in need, but embarrasses Briles/Tech at the same time.

Last edited:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Another factor is if you think the realignment wheel might spin again in a few years when TV deals are up, maybe the Alliance doesn't pan out the way the Pac-12 hoped, and they are looking to add schools - a good way to get the Pac-12 to pass on you is to have Art Briles leading your football program. They could easily just do TCU, Houston, OSU, and KSU and call it good.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
That is a great idea for a CF fundraiser. If Briles is hired, you can donate $1 for every point scored against tech to a charity that supports a women in difficult situations. Not only does it help support women in need, but embarrasses Briles/Tech at the same time.

I thought a fitting punishment at the time would have been to multiply the financial penalty from Baylor by 9 and have that money fund a Big 12 domestic violence prevention program and PSA. The PSA would be played during game broadcasts as well as in the stadiums. Can you imagine how many boos that would have gotten when it played in Waco? That would have turned a lot of fans off and would have been terrible PR but is the medicine that program deserves.

Reactions: ScottyP

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It's just fan service to the big donors. They want to win at all costs and the AD needs them on board, so TT lets it leak that he's a real candidate when he's obviously not.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Tech would be nuts to hire Briles. Not only would it be a political nightmare for their university, his brand of fast break football has definitely passed its prime in the Big 12. ISU's defense is designed to shut that down, and a number of other Big 12 schools (including Baylor) have copied that style of defense.

Reactions: Raiders70

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze here.

If he were fifteen years younger maybe you could talk yourself into it but is he really going to coach long enough to make the **** storm worth it?

If you're going to get into the Briles business I think the better idea would be to hire his son, who could then hire his dad as a consultant/non recruiting staff member.

That's the idea I've actually seen floated by some tech fans.

Help Support Us

Become a patron