Technology you haven't upgraded to yet

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
The Best Buy 1996 ad thread got me thinking: What technology/new gadgets do you NOT have that seemingly everyone else in your life has?

Me:

Smartphone or data plan. My phone does have a camera but that's about it.

LED/LCD/plasma HD TV. Not even a flat screen. I have a 13" box with built-in VCR.

Blu-Ray player. Or DVD player, for that matter. Watch all my DVDs on my computer...

Netflix subscription. This blew a friend's mind the other day.

My parents just upgraded from their 2000-ish Gateway desktop last week :wideeyed:

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
No netflix here. I am limited by lack of quality internet in this rural area

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I have quite a bit I need to update:

I don't have a smart phone. I use Tracfone as my cell phone provider. I just don't use my cell phone for talking/conversation purposes unless it is an emergency. I just upgraded to an LG phone (see below) that will allow me to upload 2.0 megapixel pictures to Facebook.

I'm stilling rolling with a DVD player that was bought for me in 2004.

My video game consoles currently consist of Nintendo Wii and Playstation 2.

I didn't upgrade to an HDTV until this summer. Though I don't have many HD channels (maybe just FOX,) since I'm currently living on campus and get Mediacom cable through campus housing.

9562-main-medium-lg-501c-black.jpg

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
netflix is lame, i just redbox if i want a movie.

I am quite sick of adding more monthly bills, and for that reason, i have am not living on the bleeding edge... on the other hand, i build linux servers and run r & d on those, so i guess it depends what you mean by technology....

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
TV bought a 19 inch tube my freshmen year and have been lucky enough to have had roommates that have had 30+ HDTV's. I got a smartphone a few months ago; also hoping my computer hangs on through this school year. Other than that I am up to date.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Blue ray player. I have a DVD player in my xbox 360 and desktop. I refuse to buy movies so it would be pretty useless to me. Other than that I have most stuff upgraded. No tablet I guess.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
No 3D TV. I've seen them advertised everywhere but I have yet to meet anyone that actually has one.

Also, no tablet. I have a smart phone that does everything that a tablet would so I haven't seen the point.

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA
No Blue Ray - Don't watch enough movies.
No Netflix - Had it once but selection was poor for the cost.
No Satelite radio - Same reason - Can listen to any station for free on phone or laptop.
Only have Wii - don't play it much.

Want tablet.

C

CyBer

Just got a smartphone today, other than that I have pretty much everything listed except a Wii and a Tablet, and I don't want a tablet or a Wii

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This! Netflix blows. I had a friends username on my ps3 and I didn't even like it when it was free.

It's not good for watching a bunch of new movies but if you want a couple Seasons of shows a year, it pays itself off.

Myself, I have this problem where I am like a bass-attracted to shiny objects so there isn't much. I don't have a blu ray player but will after christmas. My surround sound system is 10 years old but it made it through dozens of college parties so I feel I owe it to it to keep using it. I just got a 3D TV and smart TV which is awesome since I have Prime and Netflix. One thing that pisses me off is I have Kinect but I haven't used it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The Best Buy 1996 ad thread got me thinking: What technology/new gadgets do you NOT have that seemingly everyone else in your life has?

Me:

Smartphone or data plan. My phone does have a camera but that's about it.

LED/LCD/plasma HD TV. Not even a flat screen. I have a 13" box with built-in VCR.

Blu-Ray player. Or DVD player, for that matter. Watch all my DVDs on my computer...

Netflix subscription. This blew a friend's mind the other day.

My parents just upgraded from their 2000-ish Gateway desktop last week :wideeyed:

1) No smartphone. I may never get one since I'm grandfathered at a decent voice & text rate.

2) I had Netflix but their latest price hike chased me off. I may go back though...miss it.

3) No blu-ray yet but I'll have one within the year.

4) I don't have an auto car starter and never will unless they become std. equipment.

5) I was watching my 50" plasma last night and lamenting how small it was. :)

6) No way I ever get a 3D TV unless that's the only choice. I'd rather have a comparable sized rally good HDTV at a much lower price. I get an upset stomach just thinking about watching one.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron