Tennessee $8,000,000 Fines

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
The Tennessee football team had 200 violations in their football program. They are paying a big fine and losing 26-28 scholarships.
Losing visits but keeping bowl eligibility.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
There was a time when an $8 million fine would cripple an athletic department. Not for an SEC school. With the annual payouts they receive, they can afford a whole lotta cheating.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
They were paying recruits before it was legal. I'd say they are getting the SEC special rules punishment. If this was Boston College, there would be a bowl ban included, I'm quite sure.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Daserop and aauummm

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They'll still get eye balls on the ESPN and be a quasi-'name' in a bowl game.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
This is what Tennessee gets for cooperating with the NCAA. Think they could have been more interested in firing their coach for just cause. Save the buyout. May have backfired a little bit.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
The loss of scholarships is the killer here, not the money. Losing 26-28 scholarships puts you below FCS scholarship limits, which, I believe, are a max of 65.
Good post. I did not real the article, just the headline. That should definitely hurt them.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
That's actually a pretty harsh penalty. Not a 'The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to punish Cleveland State' type of situation.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Will need to buy 28 players for five years, besides foot nil for the other players. Think they are going to struggle keeping up with the Sabans & Cows and such.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Tennessee's problem here is that they are no longer a "name" team. If something like this happened at LSU or Alabama, little or nothing would be done to them. How many years has Kansas been cheating and paying players in basketball? Hell the FBI caught them doing it on tape, were they forced to sit out games, forfeit games?

Once you become a blue blood program and maintain it, you can cheat all you want the NCAA could care less. Dollars for them is more important than the rules, but not if you are Tennessee or ISU.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
One good thing about being nailed for NCAA violations is it usually provides the school an opportunity to fire the head coach for just cause and escape having to pay millions to buy out the remainder of the coach's contract.

I don't follow Tennessee and I didn't read the article, so I don't know how warm their coach's seat is or whether the violations occured under his watch.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
So the $8 mil fine goes to who? The NCAA? Very convenient.

Looks like it's only 2 scholarships per year going forward for 5 years, so really not a big deal, especially with NIL available to backfill.

Also, the infractions happened before Golesh arrived at UT, which I was glad to hear.

Reactions: aauummm

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
One good thing about being nailed for NCAA violations is it usually provides the school an opportunity to fire the head coach for just cause and escape having to pay millions to buy out the remainder of the coach's contract.

I don't follow Tennessee and I didn't read the article, so I don't know how warm their coach's seat is or whether the violations occured under his watch.

This happened under Pruitt the former coach, he was fired 2 to 3 years ago.