Thank you team

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Loved every minute out of this crew.. even the maddening moments. They did it with heart, grit and determination. They got hit with a squad that matched them in that tonight and didn't back down and had talent and shots to pull away. Heck of a season

While I would've loved and was absolutely rooting for a win up until the last whistle, it almost wouldn't have felt right for this squad to get further than any Orr, Floyd or Hoiberg coached team.

The talent that's come through ISU on some of those stacked teams were only able to do what this crew did.

That's a lot of heart and a whole lot of onions. Hold your head high young men.

LSFT
LFG

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
All most of us hoped for with this team back in november would be a team that had effort and started to build an identity. A few wins along with that would be nice.

Then we somehow went undefeated in noncon, with the most effort I can remember from an ISU team. Finished near the middle of the big 12, and somehow not only made the tournament but won 2 games.

One hell of a season. It had plenty of warts, and certainly this program needs to keep improving from here, but hard to be unhappy at all with TJ and this group of guys.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Unfortunately we were kinda due for one of these games to pop back up. In the future we'll have the shooting to overcome that more, but today and this season we don't. Once we do we'll be unstoppable

Totally agreed with this. With how tonight's shots weren't falling, I was praying we'd score more than 50. And we did.....this team got more from less than about every team I've watched. And once we improve our shooters....watch out.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Agreed. Think the 5 or 6 line is obtainable next year if we make the right moves in the portal.

Not sure if it's been said, but I hope the expectations don't outpace the team. We gotta remember this year was wayyyyyyy ahead of expectations. Expecting (not saying you are) a 5 seed next year isn't fair, IMO. Hope to make the tourney, but don't think it should even be an expectation at this point. We're still building.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Not sure if it's been said, but I hope the expectations don't outpace the team. We gotta remember this year was wayyyyyyy ahead of expectations. Expecting (not saying you are) a 5 seed next year isn't fair, IMO. Hope to make the tourney, but don't think it should even be an expectation at this point. We're still building.
Agreed. If Brockington isn’t back, this team may end up with a similar record to this year although more by playing to the law of averages then going undefeated in the non-con. This is a long-term program build and even not being in the tourney wouldn’t be the end of the world if the culture and effort remain. I fully expect us to contend for the tourney every year under TJ, FWIW. He’s the right fit at Iowa State.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Agreed. Ive thought for awhile it wouldnt surprise me if things regress a little bit next year before they get better. We had a lot of things go our way this season, and also seemingly way above average chemistry for such a scrapped together team. Hopefully we can still have that next year, but its no guarantee.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Some other posters have already written similar sentiments, but while this team certainly isn't the best or most talented in program history I think this may just be one of, if not right at the top of the list, my favorite team ever.

Just an unbelievable year. I've mentioned it before, but I wrote at the start of the season that I would have been happy with 10 wins and constant improvement throughout the season.

Winning 22 games and making a Sweet 16? Not in my wildest dreams.

Thanks for brining the Magic back, Hilton and otherwise. Can't wait for next season already!

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Agreed. Ive thought for awhile it wouldnt surprise me if things regress a little bit next year before they get better. We had a lot of things go our way this season, and also seemingly way above average chemistry for such a scrapped together team. Hopefully we can still have that next year, but its no guarantee.
This team made us proud to be Cyclones and gave us belief. Establishing that as quickly as happened this year with a thrown-together roster is incredible. As long as that remains, I’ll be completely on board even if the record fluctuates a bit. TJ won me over this year - I was a bit skeptical but felt he’d earned the right given where the program was. He is the right fit.