Thank you Zeb and Kyle for your service...

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I know, we've seen this before where a new QB comes in and gives us a great game but Brock gives us something we haven't had since another QB donned the number 15 for us. I feel bad for Zeb but this dude was awesome today and I don't know how you don't stick with him.

• Useful
Reactions: VeloClone

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Do not underestimate how much having the Defense coaching staff prep for Zeb all week and then having that curve ball thrown at them.....Amongst the defensive play calling chaos called, it also makes the players lose faith in the coaches in a subtl/Belicheck/art of war way......All week they were scrimmaging to beat Zeb and apparently their coaches were wrong.
I would love to see constant switch ups on our qb's to mess with the opponent.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Do not underestimate how much having the Defense coaching staff prep for Zeb all week and then having that curve ball thrown at them.....Amongst the defensive play calling chaos called, it also makes the players lose faith in the coaches in a subtl/Belicheck/art of war way......All week they were scrimmaging to beat Zeb and apparently their coaches were wrong.

Sure..true...but there is absolutely no way we mix up QB’s...Purdy is going to start next week and every week as long as he can..No way

CYdways432

Jan 22, 2015
Cedar Rapids
Glad they got the win and found a QB that can make the D at least think he is a threat on the play action. That being said watching the sidelines Zeb and Kempt were both very engaged with Purdy. Nice to see some depth building at QB.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I bet if you dig back you can find similar threads for Barnett, Richardson, Jantz, Lanning, Kempt, and a couple others.

He looked great but we’ve seen one game wonders before.

You're not wrong but today wasn't just about playing well, the team looked different, playcallling was much more aggressive and they had the defense on their heels for the first time all year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I was pondering this same thing. I don't claim to be an expert but I do wonder to what extent it helped with our upset of OU last year that they had no film on Kempt and now the same thing with Purdy. Good defensive coordinators will make adjustments but the kid looked great. If he does stay in the lineup for much of the rest of the season, I'm sure there will be hiccups. But, man, the kid's got tools and moxie.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
the talent gap between Purdy and other QBs we’ve had here in the past ten or so years is vast. Say what you want about recruiting rankings, but it’s different when you beat A&M and Bama out for a QB vs having a walk on or a former Appalachian State commit.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Lol, I kept thinking the same thing. I started to ask myself whether I've been here too long now or what.
Yep, every QB that’s taken a snap going back to the post Arnaud era has looked like the future of the program and a world beater shortly before being benched for the next savior.

That being said what impressed me the most was that he did this without the benefit of being able to lean on Montgomery. A true zone/read package with Montgomery makes me go from 6 to midnight.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
We gotta remember that a lot of these new QBs have looked good until they got banged up. I’m thinking Richardson especially.

• Agree
Reactions: dirtyninety

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Purdy is a better prospect for sure, but all three have looked good when the play calling is more than hoping the OL dominates or WR break tackles