The 2021 NCAA WBB Tournament Discussion Thread (Go Cyclones!)

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Yikes, countries #1 without the most successful WBB coach ever. Guessing we haven't heard the last of Covid tossing wrenches into the works. :(

Since he is actually positive and not just sitting because of contact tracing, he might not be around till Final Four if UConn advances? Chris Dailey has been on staff since 1985 so guessing she can handle some gameday coaching. I keep forgetting he's been there 35 years.

• Wow
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Our team has arrived in San Antonio safely. Kristin and Maggie are no longer in walking boots.
folded-hands.png
They are going to stay in the bubble and isolated from the outside world as long as they keep advancing in the tournament. It's not easy for any regular human being to endure this hardship. When we are being entertained by them on TV, please remember the hard work they have done behind the scene and the sacrifice they have made to EARN the opportunity to play in this few-time-in-a-life time event.

I'm praying they keep a clean sheet on the Covid test and stay there as long as they can. Monday can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Know Your Foe: A Detailed Look at the ISU vs MSU Matchup

OK WBB fanatics, I've spent the last couple of days studying the stats and players of our first-round opponent Michigan State and I'd like to share the details with you. If you are bored or want to know more about the matchup, feel free to give it a read and correct me if I made any mistakes.

I'm a fan who loves stats and analysis. The more I study this matchup, the more I think the Selection Committee had an agenda by "intentionally" setting it up. I mean, who's not excited about an evenly matched, fast tempo, running and gunning, high-scoring, and potentially very entertaining game?

Just how similar are these two teams? Let's dig in.

All-time head to head: MSU leads ISU 3-2. MSU won all three games in East Lansing. ISU won one game in Ames. They have only met once in the NCAA tournament and everybody in both fanbases has already known what happened on March 28, 2009.

Part 1. Tournament Résumé Comparison

StatsIowa StateMichigan State
Tournament Appearance​
19​
18​
Tournament Record​
18 - 18​
17 - 14​
Best Tournament Finish​
x2 Elight Eight (1999, 2009)​
x1 Runner-up (2005, lost to Baylor)​
Record in Recent 10 Seasons​
2 - 7
(7 appearances)​
5 - 7
(7 appearances)​
Record as a #7 Seed​
1 - 3
2005 L #10 Utah
2008 W #10 Georgia Tech
2011 L #10 Marist
2014 L #10 Florida State​
Record as a #10 Seed​
0 - 1
2012 L #7 Louisville​

Part 2. Season Stats Comparison

StatsIowa StateMichigan State
NCAA NET Ranking​
26​
40​
Overall Record (Conference Record)​
16 - 10 (12 - 6)​
15 - 8 (8 -7)​
Points/Game​
76.7​
75.3​
FG%​
42.8%​
44.8%​
3PT FG%​
35.6%​
33.1%​
3PT Made/Game​
6.5​
FT%​
83.1%
67.2%​
FT Made/Game​
13.8​
12.6​
Reb/Game​
38.2​
36.9​
Asst/Game​
14.2​
Turnovers/Game​
13.5​
14.5​
Pts Off Turnover/Game​
12.7​
Steals/Game​
4.8​
Blocks/Game​
3.5​
3.9​
Possessions per 40 Min​
72.3​
73.8​
Record when scoring 75 pts or more​
12 - 3​
12 - 2​
Record when scoring below 75 pts​
4 - 7​
3 - 6​
Record when asst # above season avg.​
11 - 3​
11 - 1​
Signature Wins​
@ #6 Baylor
vs Oklahoma State
vs #18 West Virginia​
vs Iowa
vs #9 Indiana (B1G Tournament)​

Summary:

1) Both are very good offensive teams and they play at a similar pace with guard-oriented lineups without a dominated post player. Offensively both teams can get hot at any time, but also have the tendency of having scoring droughts lasting for several minutes in a game.

2) Scoring "Magic Number": 75
When both teams score 75 pts or more in a game, they have a very high winning percentage.

3) ISU relies more on 3 balls than MSU and is ranked 4th in 3 PT made/game nationally, 1st among P6 schools.

4) ISU is a great FT shooting team (FT% ranked 2nd nationally) while MSU is a below-average FT shooting team.

5) MSU plays slightly more team-oriented ball with asst # ranked 12th nationally.

6) Asstist "Magic Number" ISU 15 - MSU 18
When both teams have more than their season average assist number in a game, they have a very high winning percentage.

7) Both teams are average defensively. Neither team plays pressure defense.

8) MSU plays slightly more aggressive defense and has more steals/game and more pts off turnovers/game than ISU.

9) Both teams were ranked in the AP Top 25 in the early period of the season.

10) ISU has never missed a scheduled game and never paused their athletics activities in the season, but has been experiencing inconsistency due to the nature of being a young team. MSU had Covid pause in Jan. and has missed 5 scheduled B1G regular season games. MSU has been playing inconsistently since they resumed normal basketball activities.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Part 3. Scouting Report

Overall, MSU plays a lineup that consists of one post player, two guards and two wing players. Offensively, they play a fast tempo style with a lot of passing and player movement. Defensively, they don’t pressure the opponent very much but they can switch from 1 to 4 position if necessary. Generating fast break points through steals is one of the traits of this team.

MSU has a deep rotation that 9-10 players would see significant playing time in a game. Except for their star player Nia Clouden, who averages 33 min/game, all the rotational players average between 13 and 27 min/game, which is why their stats appear unimpressive on paper. For example, all the rotational players’ scoring averages fall between 4 and 11 pts except for Nia Clouden. No rotational player averages more than 6.5 reb/game. Also, their starting lineup has been constantly shuffled as the season progressed due to tactical purposes or injuries.

Injury Update

According to the MSU media reports, their team was a little banged up coming off the B1G tournament. Their starting power forward/guard Julia Ayrault hasn’t played since Feb. 21 due to concussion protocol. Their starting small forward/guard Tory Ozment suffered an achilles injury in the B1G tournament quarter-final against Indiana and didn’t play the semi-final game against Iowa. These two players are considered two of their best defenders and their availability could impact the outcome of the game. Also, three other rotational players had to play through minor injuries in the B1G tournament.

Scouting the 10 Rotational Players

The Star:
#24 Nia Clouden (5’8 Jr. PG)

Clouden_Nia_cropped_71.jpg

Award: Member of B1G All-Conference First-Team

Key stats: Averaging team-high in pts (18.8), assists (4.0), steals (1.7), and mins (33.0) per game. She’s the only player who played and started in all 23 games.

52.6% 2 PT FG%, 32.3% 3PT FG% (32 of 99), 5.4 FT Attempts/game, 77.4% FT%.

She’s the engine of the team. The team goes as she goes. She’s very fast and athletic. She attacks the basket aggressively and draws fouls, is also good at midrange pull-ups and shoots a decent percentage behind the arc. She likes to steal the balls and is very dangerous in transition. She reminds me of Ja’Mee Asberry of Oklahoma State but she might be a little better.

I'd call "the stars are aligned" as both she and Ashley wear the #24 uniform on each team. Let's see which star will shine brighter.

The Sidekick: #3 Alyza Winston (5”7 Soph. SG)

Winston_Alyza_cropped.jpg

She’s the team's second-leading scorer (11.1 pts/game). She’s deadly behind the 3-pt line (37.5%) and leads the team in 3-pointer attempts and makes (42 off 112). She reminds me of Taylor Robertson of Oklahoma. She must not be left alone most of the time.

The Wings

#40 Julia Ayrault (6’2 Soph. F/G)

Ayrault_Julia_cropped.jpg

She has improved a lot since her freshman year and is now averaging the team’s third-best in scoring (9.1 pts/game). She leads the team in blocks/game (1.2) and FT% (77.8%). She’s a great complimentary piece to their offense and one of the best defenders on the team. If she’s available for the game, she might be the one who guards Ashley Joens.

#1 Tory Ozment (6’1 Jr. F/G)

Ozment_Tory_cropped.jpg

She’s Maddie Wise of the MSU team. Averaging 6.8 pts/game, she’s a blue-collar two-way player who’s team’s second-best in assists (3.5) and steals (1.3) per game. She has a decent perimeter game (32% in 3 PT%, 16 of 50) and is an average FT shooter (73.9%). She’s also considered one of the best defenders on the team. If Ayrault is not available, she could be assigned to guard Ashley Joens.

I think if she and Maddie Wise dressed in the same uniform, people would have a hard time telling the big difference from afar. It’s also worth noting that they both wear the #1 uniform on each team and are of the same height.

The Centers

The post players on the MSU team don't have much of post game. Their role is to set the screen for their guards and go for offensive rebounds.

#4 Alisia Smith (6’3 Sr. C/F)

Smith_Alisia_cropped.jpg

She’s the starting center on the team but only averages 19.6 min/game, 8.7 pts/game, and is the team’s leading rebounder (6.5/game). She has a similar frame to Kristin Scott and is an average athlete. She’s not their offensive focal point in the post position but a complementary piece.

#14 Taiyier Parks (6’3 Soph. C/F)

Parks_Taiyier_cropped.jpg

Although she comes off the bench, she’s pretty much split the duty equally at the 5 position with Smith. She’s bigger and more of a bruiser type of post. She shots over 50% and average 7.7 pts/game in only 16.8 min/game playing time. She’s the team’s best offensive rebounder (2.7/game). Unlike Smith, who’s an average FT shooter (70.2%), Parks is a poor FT shooter (43.6%) which we can take advantage of.

The rest of the rotation

#23 Janai Grooms (5’10 Jr. G)

Crooms__Janai_cropped.jpg

One of the two backup guards. An energy player. Averaging 5.0 pts/game, 2.9 asst/game (team’s third-best), is a poor 3 PT and FT shooter but a good defender.

#22 Moira Joiner (5’10 Soph. G)

Joiner_Mo_cropped.jpg

The other backup guard. Averaging 5.9 pts/game, is the team’s best 3PT shooter (38.4%, 28 of 73). Make sure we put a defender near her when she’s on the floor.

#2 Mardrekia Cook (6’0 RSr. F)

Cook_Mardrekia_cropped.jpg

The team’s undersized backup forward. Does most scoring inside the arc. Averaging 3.8 pts/game, 14.1 min/game.

#44 Kendall Bostic (6’2 Fr. F)

Bostic_Kendall_cropped.jpg

The only freshman on the team. She plays a small role as a backup forward and has been up and down the whole season. Scored her second season-high 13 pts in the last game against Iowa in the absence of their two starting wing players.

Part 4. Keys to the Game

1) Play team basketball

As the stats suggest, when we have everybody involved and have a balanced scoring game, we have a better chance of winning. Because MSU doesn’t have a strong interior defense, Ashley could seek the mismatch and have a field day. But other players must not get caught ball watching. If we can get four or more players to score in double figures and score over 80 pts, we are likely to come out victorious.

2) Play solid perimeter and transitional defense

Containing Cloudon and Winston is the top priority. Our team could use a man-to-man switching defense scheme. MSU likes to run so we must limit their fast-break points. If we can hold MSU under 75 pts, it will increase the winning odds greatly.

3) Make Clouden less efficient and do not let everybody else go off

Nia Clouden is a really tough matchup. It's OK to let her score her share of points but we can make her take inefficient shots. When she scores more, her team tends to lose. Contain everybody else and make the game a one-player show should be a winning formula. (Haven't we learned it from the Texas loss?)

4) Limit turnovers

I’m sure the team has learned their lesson the last time out. Take care of the ball especially avoiding live-ball turnovers. The magic number is 12 or less.

5) Execute, execute and execute

As other posters suggested, both teams have been inconsistent throughout the season. Since both teams share so many similarities in style and stats, the game might come down to who can play to their strength, execute their game plan better and make timely adjustments. Which team’s better version showing up will eventually decide the game.

6) Bonus Key: Heather Ezell

The last time when we beat MSU, Heather was on the team and her 3-pointer was part of the big comeback at the end of the game. This year she’s also participating in the tournament (as an associate head coach for the Wyoming WBB team). I’m confident she will bring good luck to our team and watch them close by.

Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Game times are here: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball-women/d1/2021

Schedules:

Baylor 2 -- Sunday 3pm
West Virginia 4 -- Sunday 7pm
Iowa 5 -- Sunday 11am
Texas 6 -- Monday 7pm
Iowa State 7 -- Monday 5pm
Oklahoma State 8 -- Sunday 12pm
South Dakota State 9 -- Sunday 4:30pm
Wyoming 14 -- Monday 9pm

Texas A&M vs Troy is simultaneous to our game -- Monday 5pm. That's impossible in a normal year.

Do we have any idea about what time we will play in the Second Round if we win in the First Round?

It is so difficult this year to plan for watching the games as information is hard to find. Surely, someone has a spreadsheet somewhere with all the game times. Or maybe not if they are making some schedule decisions on the fly with TV in mind.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Do we have any idea about what time we will play in the Second Round if we win in the First Round?

It is so difficult this year to plan for watching the games as information is hard to find. Surely, someone has a spreadsheet somewhere with all the game times. Or maybe not if they are making some schedule decisions on the fly with TV in mind.

Generally, the second round times aren't announced until the first round finishes. So Tuesday's times would come out once the Sunday games are done, and Wednesday's times would come out once the Monday games are done.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
CyclonesFans4ever has done a lot of research on the MSU team. Overall I'd say they present quite a challenge to the Cyclones. This could be one of the most exciting match ups in the entire field.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The first controversy hit the WBB tourney with teams complaining about the unacceptable condition of the weight rooms and inferior treatment compared to MBB.

Speaking of gender equality in sports, we have a long way to go. I command Bridget for being an advocate of this issue. What our WBB team has accomplished this season is nothing short of impressive compared to their counterpart yet they haven't got enough attention they have deserved. Our players always conduct themselves gracefully and are appreciative and grateful for what they are provided with no complaints. While our WBB team is competing in the most prestigious college sports event of the year, I just wish more fans could engage in the WBB forum for more interactions.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The difference in weight rooms and welcome packages is unacceptable. It could not be even remotely difficult to make sure they are identical. It so brazen and obvious that it shows how little of a **** they care about the less financially lucrative women’s game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Cue the Title IX podcast for an emergency episode. Steph and Alisa are going to go ballistic about this!

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
The first controversy hit the WBB tourney with teams complaining about the unacceptable condition of the weight rooms and inferior treatment compared to MBB.

Speaking of gender equality in sports, we have a long way to go. I command Bridget for being an advocate of this issue. What our WBB team has accomplished this season is nothing short of impressive compared to their counterpart yet they haven't got enough attention they have deserved. Our players always conduct themselves gracefully and are appreciative and grateful for what they are provided with no complaints. While our WBB team is competing in the most prestigious college sports event of the year, I just wish more fans could engage in the WBB forum for more interactions.

The local media coverage mirrors this - updates daily on Drake and IA men's teams in NCAA but not a mention of the two WBB teams.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The Palms theater in Waukee told me last night that they will be showing the Iowa State WBB in their March Madness theater on one of the four big screens on Monday.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Giving Sedona Prince a big thumbs up on that Twitter video. I have almost that many weights currently just sitting in my living room ......mostly light stuff for rotator cuff therapy/maintenance.

Surprised the NCAA didn't provide them pink weights. :oops: Did they seriously think no one would notice this?

I picture the interview process for NCAA management to include this:
"Have you demonstrated a total lack of awareness or complete incompetency in a previous job?"
"Oh, yes, I'm sort of an idiot!"
"Good! When can you start?"

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
But the schools are. If the NCAA doesn't follow Title IX, the schools would be required to replace the NCAA with something that does.

Schools don't want to replace the NCAA. Student athletes do, but they currently have no real power. NIL legislation may change that in the future. But we are stuck with the NCAA for a while longer

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Tommy Birch just published an article about ISU's reaction to the NCAA WBB tourney weight room controversy.

I'm just passing the message. Please don't shoot the messenger. ;)

Here are some quotes:

“I guess I’m on the other side of it,” Fennelly said. “I think there’s a lot of discussion about things that don’t matter. I know there’s an equity issue and I understand that. I coach women’s basketball. But with all the things that have gone on in the world, the focus, I think, should be on all the effort to make this possible, to get our kids to play.

“Our travel was great. Our hotel was great. Our food has been good. Everything. And I get some people are upset about it and that’s fine.”

“Right now, the focus on the women’s college tournament is the weight room,” he said. “I find it ironic because our players don’t like to go to the weight room. So they’re probably glad there isn’t a big one. I know everyone’s got their own opinion. But what this world’s been through and what so many people have been through, the bottom line is, let’s play the games. I guess that’s how I feel about it. Obviously, I’m probably in the minority, which is normal for me, I guess.”

“The NCAA has done a great job of providing us with everything we need,” said Iowa State junior Ashley Joens. “We get good food, great people to take us to the gym and everything. They’ve been doing a really great job of making it safe and easy for us so that we get to keep on playing.”

Reactions: ISU71

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is the discrepancy in weight and conditioning facilities new this year? Seems like it probably is a problem that has been there for a long time. Finally, someone spoke up about it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron