[The Athletic - Paywall] Why Iowa State is tweaking its identity this summer with more offensive options

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I'll share a little-

"Still, the other top-50 prospect was the leading scorer during Iowa State’s first week and a half of summer workouts. The other 6-8 forward was the one demonstrating a precocious feel and enough consistency to earn nearly comprehensive trust on the offensive end already.

“Coming in, they said shoot whatever,” Momcilovic says. “So, obviously, I shot whatever. And they say I’m still not shooting enough. They’re giving me all the freedom in the world.”

The transfers have the track records. Momcilovic has the vaulted ceiling.

The athleticism may not be top-percentile, but it’s enough to allow him to get to his spots — and when Momcilovic gets there, a high release point on his shot means it’s nearly unblockable for defenders. Otzelberger invokes Gradey **** as a comparable for Momcilovic’s height-feel-release skill set, while at the same time hastening to note he’s not promising that level of production just yet."

It's Momcilovic season, baby

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think our offense lacked because we didn’t have multiple who could go get an automatic bucket. This year I think it’s going to be different in the fact that the opposition can’t just hon in on one guy (ex: Brockington), it’ll be more lucrative and fluid.
I really hope Lipsey has developed at least a respectable outside shot. Watching teams sag off of him outside the arc got super frustrating last year and the fact that he only shot 20% on 25 attempts meant that he was never going to take advantage of that soft defense.

Reactions: aobie and t-noah

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I think our offense lacked because we didn’t have multiple who could go get an automatic bucket. This year I think it’s going to be different in the fact that the opposition can’t just hon in on one guy (ex: Brockington), it’ll be more lucrative and fluid.
Part or most of the reason for this is that no one was a consistent threat from 3. Teams could fall back and basically pack the paint, leaving no driving or passing lanes.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclonekrazie

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Part or most of the reason for this is that no one was a consistent threat from 3. Teams could fall back and basically pack the point, leaving no driving or passing lanes.
That is the strategy that Pitt used in the tournament. They openly mentioned in the postgame that they didn't think we could shoot outside and packed it in.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I think this is spot on. The reason it looked like we were resting on offense is because we weren’t very good on offense.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Enough there to convince me to fork over the $12.
I honestly don't mind some of the content on the athletic.

Football/Basketball (college) coverage is pretty good, IMO but I will never pay the full price for it. So if you can snag a year at $12, def do it.

Reactions: GMackey32

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Paveletzke has all of the ingredients to be one of the most hated guys in the Big 12. I love it.

There really is a checklist for "I hate that ******* guy" status from opposing fans --

1.) White

2.) Good shooter

3.) In-your-face attitude

4.) Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump levels of trash talk

5.) Bad haircut

6.) Been in school practically forever

He's got a few boxes to check, but he's well on his way to Phil Forte status.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
There really is a checklist for "I hate that ******* guy" status from opposing fans --

1.) White

2.) Good shooter

5.) Bad haircut

“Looks like he’s a 12” has to be on there, too. Inexplicably getting in the paint and finishing at the rim doesn’t hurt, either.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
For anyone who wants to read the article without the subscription on mobile chrome browser click on the link but don't scroll down. Click the options (three dots in the upper right corner) and then click the arrow pointing down with a line underneath it (download). This will download the page to your phone and you can read to your hearts content without the wall popping up when you scroll down. You can do this on a pc or iPhone too. Just download the page or print it to Adobe and you can read the articles.
They have to know about this by now? I wonder if they are working to make this not possible so people really have to pay.

aeroclone08

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wichita, KS

1.) White

2.) Good shooter

5.) Bad haircut

You mean Fake Keiton Page.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I feel like the last 2 years they have rested on offense. The goal on that end was to milk clock, not turn it over, get up a shot (maybe make it, maybe rebound it), and get back and play oppressive, high energy defense.

It’s gonna be hard to add effort on one end without losing some on the other. But a little more balance between the 2 would be great.
I don't know. To me, it looked like they were working painfully hard on offense for lack of someone who could get their own quality shot early (short of Brockington, who had a tough time once everyone figured out that he was basically the only one).

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I hate wishing away summer, fall and football season but man I’m excited for this basketball season.
I think we’re in for a very exciting 4+ year run coming up.

I got a good chuckle out of this line haha
Yeah I love the seasons of summer and fall for all the outdoor activities and college football is great. But college basketball (especially ISU) is my #1 love. I watched damn near every game of that 2 win Prohm season. TJ has me so pumped for the trajectory of the program and he wants to be in Ames.

Last edited:

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Enough there to convince me to fork over the $12.

I honestly don't mind some of the content on the athletic.

Football/Basketball (college) coverage is pretty good, IMO but I will never pay the full price for it. So if you can snag a year at $12, def do it.

Tried to cancel for when it renews next month at $71 and they give me this.

1690814513738.png

Reactions: BMWallace

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron