The beginning of the end for AM radio in vehicles?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's not just bad weather - during a time of crisis or disaster as well. I was taking my toddler on a bike ride when severe weather started rolling in then the I-35W bridge collapsed in Minneapolis. Mrs. Velo was trying to call me on the cell phone to see if she needed to pick us up but she couldn't get on the network because everyone was calling their loved ones to see if they were okay. Having cellular connection as your only lifeline during times of crisis may be a bad thing with absolutely no back up.

I have never had this happen. Was this recent?

Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't had cell disruption for any reason in, jeesh, a decade+?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Weather apps and driving apps give me warnings. Check the hourly forecast on my phone before any outdoor activity or driving any distance. We are so much better informed concerning weather today and can predict within minutes many times of the exact timing. The main sufferer is talk radio and stations like 1040 WHO. But their main listeners will be driving their AM radio cars for decades until they hit the salvage yard.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't had cell disruption for any reason in, jeesh, a decade+?
It was 2007. The network was gridlocked all evening for the entire Twin Cities. Who knows how the network would handle a similar crisis today. If Cyclone gamedays are any indication it would still be a problem.

The networks are more robust now, but the proliferation of cellularly connected devices has kept up. The network is still not designed for virtually every user to try to get on it simultaneously. People use a hell of a lot more bandwidth than they did in the 2000s. Every website, even with mobile options use a lot of graphics and video with huge file sizes.

If there is an incident not only are people going to be trying to contact loved ones, a lot of people are going to be trying to stream video of the event and live coverage of the situation as well. The network is going to be taxed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Weather apps and driving apps give me warnings. Check the hourly forecast on my phone before any outdoor activity or driving any distance. We are so much better informed concerning weather today and can predict within minutes many times of the exact timing. The main sufferer is talk radio and stations like 1040 WHO. But their main listeners will be driving their AM radio cars for decades until they hit the salvage yard.
There are a lot of retirees who continue to get a new car every 4-6 years like clockwork.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It was 2007. The network was gridlocked all evening for the entire Twin Cities. Who knows how the network would handle a similar crisis today. If Cyclone gamedays are any indication it would still be a problem.

The networks are more robust now, but the proliferation of cellularly connected devices has kept up. The network is still not designed for virtually every user to try to get on it simultaneously. People use a hell of a lot more bandwidth than they did in the 2000s. Every website, even with mobile options use a lot of graphics and video with huge file sizes.

I fired up my weather radio recently. We went to the basement for a pretty good storm. I couldn't find the dedicated weather station.

Was that discontinued? It was always my go to when we hit the basement. But I never used it in the 2 decades out of the Midwest

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I fired up my weather radio recently. We went to the basement for a pretty good storm. I couldn't find the dedicated weather station.

Was that discontinued? It was always my go to when we hit the basement. But I never used it in the 2 decades out of the Midwest
As far as i know the dedicated weather stations are still operational. Interesting that you couldn't find/receive one. I would suggest researching it now rather than waiting until you are having to shelter again. Perhaps your local one changed frequencies?

Appears that there are just 7 frequencies nationwide...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Do those cars come equipped with Cassette, 8-track, or CD? That consumer group keeps getting smaller.
That has nothing to do with it. I was simply addressing your contention that those drivers will simply drive their current car into the ground. Some will, but many, many will continue to regularly drive a new car.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Listen to Twins baseball on WNAX and KGLO a lot. Does that mean no more public radio on 600 am ? Is Iowa Public Radio on fm ?
91.1 (?) I believe but on the weekends it is more music. I like MPR the weekends a nice mix of news and fun programming.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
That has nothing to do with it. I was simply addressing your contention that those drivers will simply drive their current car into the ground. Some will, but many, many will continue to regularly drive a new car.

And they will survive just fine without AM radio. Most of that consumer group have already purchased their final car.

• Disagree
Reactions: dtISU and VeloClone

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021

I own a place in Southwest Florida. I couldn’t get a call or text through to my renter for 3 days after Hurricane Ian last fall.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

The derecho causing power outages and damages at tower sites plus EVERYONE trying to get a hole of each other after the derecho in CR made it semi unreliable to unusable during daylight hours for a few days after the event. As people went to sleep you saw a noticeable improvement in network reliability and speed.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
As a 59 year old who is middle of the road tech saavy, not sure what the big deal is. If my car didn't have AM/FM radio, then I would just blue tooth connect my phone and listen to streaming radio or music app. My car is 2017 model and would assume 90% of cars sold in US since then have blue tooth capability. I would assume if cars are no longer sold with AM/FM radio, there would be a cradle built-in car to allow for recharge and secure mounting.

I would expect cars radio's will be replaced with an Alexa like device.

One interesting fact I heard on AM radio news this morning- the average age of passenger vehicles in US is currently 13 years- the highest ever. My guess with interest rates, inflation and transition to EV's that will continue to go up over next 5-10 years.