The Debate: Should FB teams stay in hotels before home games?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register released a fascinating report on college football teams staying in hotels the night before home games earlier today.

Last year, the Iowa football team spent over $120,000 on home game hotels.

Iowa State spent over $80,000.

Could the money be better spent somewhere else? That is the debate. Here is the story.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...l-players-get-a-good-night-s-sleep--at-a-cost

I am interested to see what you guys think.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I understand you want to keep people out of trouble and focused on the game, but it seems like a waste of $$

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
In the article in the paper, Burnham said they didn't do it his first few years in South Florida, and then switched to staying at hotels his last 5 years and it made a difference. So, I guess that's enough for me. we spent less than $100,000 last year on home hotels in a sport that spends and generates millions. I think the money is negligible.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
#1 The Athletics Departments should give the BoR the middle finger.
#2 I completely disagree with Barta. $120,000 is not significant in the big scheme of things.
#3 With as spread out as the football players are on campus, having them stay in a hotel the night before prevents them from going out and getting drunk, being kept up until 5 am because someone in their building is having a party and its noisy, or even them staying up until 5 am because they're at a party.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
It seems wasteful, but it's a small expense compared with the revenue it brings in.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
It has been over 35 years since I have been on a college campus on a football Friday night, but I assume it is the same or worse if you have to go to work early on Saturday morning. If I were a coach I would want my team focussed on football, since my million dollar plus salary is dependent on the concentration level of 18-22 years olds with raging hormones and an desire to make stupid decisions. If the school did not pay for it, CPR would probably set up cots around his house and garage for the players to stay at his house!

clone11

Jul 12, 2006
I think this article is so stupid. There are many reasons programs choose to do this and I believe if the program feels it is best for their players, then I think they should do it. I'm glad we do it.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
If the University is already spending $80,000 a year on a hotel, the solution is simple. Remodel the Memorial Union Hotel so it's decent, and stay there. Money goes back to Iowa State.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
These guys would have a coronary if they started disecting the budget of someone like Texas and saw all the money that was thrown around.

I look at it this way, the football team has a set budget, they know what they can spend in a given year, and are going to find the best ways to spend that money as they see fit. If they believe that they get their best use of that $80,000 by putting their players up in a hotel, so be it.

Or from the other side, they are pumping money back into the community by staying at the hotel. Win, Win, Win.

Just another attempt to stir up controversy about our state institutions. Nothing to see here, just walk away.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
As much money as they bring in yes they should be allowed to stay in hotels. I dont see what the big deal is. We know places where students live are not the best place for sleep on a Friday night.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If the University is already spending $80,000 a year on a hotel, the solution is simple. Remodel the Memorial Union Hotel so it's decent, and stay there. Money goes back to Iowa State.

You're not preventing the issue then. They'll find a way into Campustown from there.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Christ, do you want these guys in their dorm rooms or apartments on a friday? Even if they didn't go anywhere, there's still a **** ton of distractions to prevent sleep.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I would trust the players to not get drunk the night before a game, but I do not trust their roommates/neighbors to be quiet and let them sleep.