The Deion Sanders thread

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I like him too, but all he has done is beat an average team with very talented players. I think he's a good coach and Colorado will be good as long as he's there. Who will be the next program to boot almost their entire roster and bring in 80 plus new guys? Get ready for that to become a thing.

It's been done before. After Johnny Majors left ISU, his first recruiting class at Pitt handed out, I believe, 83 scholarships. Not surprisingly, he won the national championship with those players. Sometimes the NCAA cares enough to enact new rules.

There are other historical examples of teams pushing the envelope in various ways to churn the rosters.

As for some other comments, there is a clear and distinct line thoughout history of the expectations placed upon Black people to be submissive, deferential, etc. The failure to do so often led to violence - but even if they were submissive, the noose didn't care.

If approaching Deion's comments purely from a historical perspective, he is 100,000% correct. I mean, there are still many people living who were passionate enthusiasts of enforced segregation. That kind of stuff doesn't fade away easily.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It's been done before. After Johnny Majors left ISU, his first recruiting class at Pitt handed out, I believe, 83 scholarships. Not surprisingly, he won the national championship with those players. Sometimes the NCAA cares enough to enact new rules.

There are other historical examples of teams pushing the envelope in various ways to churn the rosters.

As for some other comments, there is a clear and distinct line thoughout history of the expectations placed upon Black people to be submissive, deferential, etc. The failure to do so often led to violence - but even if they were submissive, the noose didn't care.

If approaching Deion's comments purely from a historical perspective, he is 100,000% correct. I mean, there are still many people living who were passionate enthusiasts of enforced segregation. That kind of stuff doesn't fade away easily.

Sorry, I wasn't a live when Johnny Majors went to Pitt. A roster turnover like CU's is the first time I remember something like that happening.

There are billions of people on the planet so I guess you can find a "many" amount of any type of bad person.

• Dumb
Reactions: werdnamanhill

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Dude, he's the first black coach in power five football history. He's so good he beat the second best team in the country with Jackson State players. No team has ever had this many black players. This is history. The man has changed college football.

Kidding aside, his son and #12 are really good.

He is not the first black college football coach in Power 5 history. Mississippi State had Sylvester Croom and there have been a few others as well. First black coach at Colorado though.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It will be interesting how well coach Prime handles some adversity. He has been attacking the media but it could get ugly if he loses a few games.

I listened to some sports talk radio and they said Colorado had their first halftime lead since 2020. That shows how bad the program was.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm a big fan of Deion, he was one of my favorite players growing up and he's great for the game as a coach but I can help notice that many media ppl who typically say the big 12 isn't good are making a huge deal out of him beating a big 12.

There are also other players and coaches who are almost universally disliked bc of being outspoken about their religious beliefs but Deion and his crew seem to get a few pass, really weird when he brings up God almost every time he speaks.

Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm a big fan of Deion, he was one of my favorite players growing up and he's great for the game as a coach but I can help notice that many media ppl who typically say the big 12 isn't good are making a huge deal out of him beating a big 12.

There are also other players and coaches who are almost universally disliked bc of being outspoken about their religious beliefs but Deion and his crew seem to get a few pass, really weird when he brings up God almost every time he speaks.
Are they all white?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

I think it’s more that he took a program that only had 1 win and then went on the road and beat a ranked TCU in his first game. Would have happened if he beat a ranked team on the road regardless of conference.

Also a lot of coaches have been on record talking about how they hate what he’s doing which almost never happens in the coaching world so it’s a perfect media story.

Reactions: heitclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Deion gets a lot of passes for being black. If he were a white guy, he'd be under a ton of heat already.

Now, I feel the need to preface that statement with the fact that I couldn't care less, because there are a million other racial double standards that adversely effect black people, and this is one of the like 5 times it's a benefit to be black in America.

He's a little like the Dave Chappelle of college football coaches. There's **** he can get away with for being black, and I'm glad he's going out there and getting away with it, because it's entertaining as hell.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I don't care for his personality, but I also don't like loud, brash people in general.

He did beat a ranked TCU on the road which is damn impressive for a first game, first year head coach, but it wasn't exactly a beat down. It was more track meet than anything.

When you look at the box score, it really stands out. Colorado had the ball for 10 minutes longer than TCU, but they only had 25 more total yards. TCU rushed for 250 (and like 4 TDs) on Colorado. CU only had 55 net rushing yards.

If CU hits a hard defense, they could be in trouble.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Deion gets a lot of passes for being black. If he were a white guy, he'd be under a ton of heat already.

Now, I feel the need to preface that statement with the fact that I couldn't care less, because there are a million other racial double standards that adversely effect black people, and this is one of the like 5 times it's a benefit to be black in America.

He's a little like the Dave Chappelle of college football coaches. There's **** he can get away with for being black, and I'm glad he's going out there and getting away with it, because it's entertaining as hell.

I feel exactly the same as you. This is an entertainment product so dammit, entertain me! Deion is endlessly entertaining not only in what he does but how he causes a subset of the population from what I'll just call two different ends of the spectrum to lose their minds.

I've said this before but the most fascinating thing to me is he's one of the only guys out there who is transparently coaching guys in a very old school way while completely embracing the new way of doing business in college athletics. He wants the players to get theirs to the absolute last dollar but they better recognize there's going to be a whole lot of accountability that comes with that.

I know Deion has some stuff in his background that would be endlessly talked about if he weren't Prime Time, but I don't care. Again, we are beyond the "building young men" ******** that coaches have been bloviating about forever and I think it's a really good thing that college sports are so much more transparent in their real reasons for existing rather than everyone kind of pretending there's some more noble cause than winning games and making money.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

There's only one thing I hate about Deion Sanders right now and it's that he's going to be coaching in our conference next year. Not going to be the (hopefully) easy W like they were in the Pac 12.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I don't care for his personality, but I also don't like loud, brash people in general.

He did beat a ranked TCU on the road which is damn impressive for a first game, first year head coach, but it wasn't exactly a beat down. It was more track meet than anything.

When you look at the box score, it really stands out. Colorado had the ball for 10 minutes longer than TCU, but they only had 25 more total yards. TCU rushed for 250 (and like 4 TDs) on Colorado. CU only had 55 net rushing yards.

If CU hits a hard defense, they could be in trouble.
No one expects CU to do great this year but to try to downplay going on the road with a brand new team and beating a ranked team is pretty huge.

TCU was one of 3 ranked teams from the new big 12 and CU beat them on the road which is pretty huge before joining the conference next year. Plus it was Prime living up to some of the hype. I don’t expect them to win more than 7/8 games but that’s a huge start.

Help Support Us

Become a patron