The fat lady isn't singing yet...

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
I enjoy your narrative but I have heard it before from many different fan bases and is not entirely the truth.

UT's first conference was the SIAA. It was more of an association before the NCAA than a conference because it was a conference of about 60 different universities. The association split up into three different conferences: SWC, SEC and ACC to keep travel cost down.
Ole Miss and LSU were supposed to join the SWC but decided instead to remain with Bama and the SEC.
SWC survived for well over half a century and before professional football in Texas you would not have found a more perfect conference. Rivalries, Location, Popularity and Great Football.
Dallas gained a professional football franchise and the SWC was no longer the biggest show in town. It still remained revelvant with great football teams.
Fast forward to the 1980's. The Supreme Court ruled that a school and therefore a conference owns the media rights to athletics and not the NCAA. This created an arms war between conferences to produce the best product. Because the SWC was in only two states and the two states combined at the time may have had about 20 million people the SWC could not survive. Texas started looking around and negotiations began with the SEC. Other SWC got wind of these because of Arkansas and Frank Broyles so they used the Texas Legislatire to withhold funding if UT and then if UT and Aggy bolted. So the Piggies and South Carolina joined the SEC.
PAC 12 was next but Aggy was uncomfortable with associating with Liberal West Coast universities because of their military past and their East Texas fanbase. Plus you had Baylor and Ann Richards at this time.
So the Big XII was formed as a short term home. But because of population UT and the big Big XII schools could not share revenue equally and still compete with the universities in other conferences. In 96 Aggy and Nebraska agreed with this because they had great football programs

Georgia Tech left the SEC because they accused the conference of a Bama bias

South Carolina left the ACC because North Carolina would not let South Carolina recruit New York basketball players.

In 1996 Nebraska didn't care about Iowa State when they agreed to revenue split based on television appearances because they thought they would be great forever.
Then in 2010 things chamged and Nebraska was no longer a perennial top 10 team so they acted like they cared about universities like Iowa State

Now I guess Iowa State repeats the narrative out of Lincoln. I can tell you firsthand that the Huskerboard is a sad sorry place. If you disagree with their narrative at all they ban you.
Nebraska never cared Iowa State. Nebraska took advantage of all the Big 8 schools for years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: khardbored

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Georgia Tech left the SEC because they accused the conference of a Bama bias

South Carolina left the ACC because North Carolina would not let South Carolina recruit New York basketball players.

In 1996 Nebraska didn't care about Iowa State when they agreed to revenue split based on television appearances because they thought they would be great forever.
Then in 2010 things chamged and Nebraska was no longer a perennial top 10 team so they acted like they cared about universities like Iowa State

Now I guess Iowa State repeats the narrative out of Lincoln. I can tell you firsthand that the Huskerboard is a sad sorry place. If you disagree with their narrative at all they ban you.
Nebraska never cared Iowa State. Nebraska took advantage of all the Big 8 schools for years.
Thanks for the synopsis of our realignment megathread. Everyone knows that Tom Osborne pushed for unequal revenue when it worked out best for kNU and then complained about it when it no longer was. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Cyclone who believes Nebraska was in it for anyone but themselves.

Yes, we know about Anne Richards and how Baylor got politicked into a conference where they didn't belong.

Yes, we know about the demise of the SWC.

Yes we know about the hard on Texas and A&M have for each other.

The only narrative out of LIncoln that ISU has repeated is that unequal revenue sharing does not create a stable conference. But it isn't really repeating since ISU said it from the start while kNU only said it when they no longer got a bigger piece of the pie.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes, Omaha channels do reach into rural western Iowa.

My point was that Husker fans living in Eastern Nebraska will never become Cyclone fans, pretty much no matter what in any meaningful way.
We are just glad that Western Iowa is becoming a little less Scarlet and Cream and a little more Cardinal and Gold.

Reactions: khardbored

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I doubt we go bowling from this point, but I think we'll rebound and look a lot better than last year.

4-5 total wins is still a big step up for a program that went as low as we did.
It was the Iowa game. I had it pegged as one we needed if we were going to get to a bowl. We blew it.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Do you not understand Iowa St was given a break on that personal foul call.
It should have been called targeting. There is no way that play was not at least a personal foul.

Nowhere in my comment did I say it shouldn't have been a personal foul. The fact still remains that both happened on third down stops which "gifted" texas a new set of downs. Gifted as in a dumb penalty gave them life again...and in no way should that have been called targeting.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
Let's just say the fat lady is the BiG XII and the BIG XII is far from over.
I do not know if any of you understand the dog fight UT has been with the SEC and therefore with Alabama.
Aggy is no longer UT's rival. UT's rival is Team SEC West Crimson Pig FootedTigers.
I think at this time UT has the upper hand and is kicking the bush to push the Carolina or Virgina schools out of the ACC.
If this happens the Big XII will pick up for sure
Miami(Fla)
Florida St
Clemson
Louisville
These other four universities are possibilities
Georgia Tech
NC State
Virgina Tech
Pittsburgh

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Let's just say the fat lady is the BiG XII and the BIG XII is far from over.
I do not know if any of you understand the dog fight UT has been with the SEC and therefore with Alabama.
Aggy is no longer UT's rival. UT's rival is Team SEC West Crimson Pig FootedTigers.
I think at this time UT has the upper hand and is kicking the bush to push the Carolina or Virgina schools out of the ACC.
If this happens the Big XII will pick up for sure
Miami(Fla)
Florida St
Clemson
Louisville
These other four universities are possibilities
Georgia Tech
NC State
Virgina Tech
Pittsburgh
Wait, what? The Big 12 is going to expand to 14 and add FSU, Clem, the U and LVille?

What happens to the ACC?

How on earth could this happen? Are you drunk/high?

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
Wait, what? The Big 12 is going to expand to 14 and add FSU, Clem, the U and LVille?

What happens to the ACC?

How on earth could this happen? Are you drunk/high?
Both the SEC and the BIG are trying to pull at least Carolina out of the ACC. The SEC wants UVA and UNC. The BIG would take a combination of UVA, UNC and Duke.

If Carolina leaves the ACC it leaves the ACC in a vulnerable position because Carolina and UVA are two of the last three founding members still left after Maryland went to the BIG.

If this would to happen the BIG XII is in great position to pick up the remaining schools it wants with Ga. Tech possibly joining the BIG.
Clemson, Florida St and Clemson do not have that opportunity and the BIG XII will be their only option.

I do not see Carolina ever leaving. Only thing that could force Carolina out is the power the new schools hold in their conference. Carolina allowed schools in that have began to take Carolina's power away especially Syracuse.
There is an issue with where the ACC tournament should be held. Syracuse, Madison Square Garden and the networks are winning.
Unless they compromise on the issue and hold it in DC every year this issue will make Carolina long for another conference.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
The boycott of North Carolina because of their restroom issue upset a lot of people in Virgina and Carolina.
At the crux of the issue was not just civil rights but the removal of the ACC tournament from Greensboro.
The state of North Carolina had to reverse the ban but do not think that UNC is happy that Syracuse and Madison Square Garden used the media to smear the state of North Carolina.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
We played tough with a Texas team that is easily top 5 roster in talent and athleticism that showed up to play with something to prove.

Would have much rather Texas won at USC then they wouldnt have been near as hungry and determined.

I honestly think we could surprise OU. This could be a trap game for them looking ahead to the Red River game.