The great Metallica debate

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Better off with Kirk. I prefer his more melodic playing though on solos such as Sanitarium and I don't think Mustaine would have been able to pull them off the way Hammet does.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
What would the world be like if Phil Collins never came from behind that drum set to replace Peter Gabriel in Genesis? :explode:

I mean after Gabriel gave us "Shock the Monkey" everything else was gravy.

A Metallica version of Sussudio with Phil on the skins would be life changing.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I don’t know if Dave could have made Metallica better than how things worked out for them. They probably wouldn’t have softened (think Black album and beyond). I think Dave had a harder, heavier edge to the overall music.

I do know this……without the feud, we don’t get Megadeth, and that would be a shame.
Agreed. I like both, I like Megadeth better of the two. It worked out for the fans.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Maybe not a popular opinion but I stopped listening to anything new after Death Magnetic. Just didn’t really love either St Anger or Death Magnetic all that much

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Maybe not a popular opinion but I stopped listening to anything new after Death Magnetic. Just didn’t really love either St Anger or Death Magnetic all that much

I thought Death Magnetic was a good quality album. St Anger was them attempting to get back to their roots and it failed

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Mustsaine wasn't a great fit in the band personality wise. Both better separate.
Oh yeah, it was quite toxic. A bunch of immature alcoholics at the time, and Dave was known to fight when he got drunk. This interview was just 15 years ago - most things I've seen say Dave and them are in a better place now and get along, but its pretty easy to see why it didn't work out.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
As has been stated upthread, it’s not a question of with or without Mustaine, it’s with or without Burton… It was Cliff’s band, they moved to SF because he demanded it. And that’s personally how I view anything after MoP. It’s basically like Ronnie James Dio Black Sabbath…not as good as the original lineup and not even really Sabbath…

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As has been stated upthread, it’s not a question of with or without Mustaine, it’s with or without Burton… It was Cliff’s band, they moved to SF because he demanded it. And that’s personally how I view anything after MoP. It’s basically like Ronnie James Dio Black Sabbath…not as good as the original lineup and not even really Sabbath…

The Black Album is a masterpiece of pop metal though.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'm always fascinated by bands/rappers feuding or infighting. Few are more famous than the split between Dave Mustaine and Metallica.

In your opinion, would Metallica have been even better had Mustaine stayed in the band or were they better off with Kirk?
I have no opinion other than Michael McDonald RUINED the Doobie Brothers.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Another twist in the Metallica timeline is Les Claypool was almost in the band. Kind of crazy to think the world almost never got Megadeth or Primus based of a few decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Dave was kicked out for being too much of a drunk for the band. That's impressive if you know Metallica's past. It worked out better the way it happened imo. Megadeath is better having been conceived.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I thought Death Magnetic was a good quality album. St Anger was them attempting to get back to their roots and it failed
Death Magnetic has two songs that rank with the best they’ve ever done - Suicide and Redemption, The Day That Never Comes. The rest are fine but don’t stand out imho.

Metallica would not have worked long term with Dave. Dave has proven to be difficult to work with, and three trying to be Chief (James, Lars, Dave) wouldn’t work.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Death Magnetic has two songs that rank with the best they’ve ever done - Suicide and Redemption,

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
And a specific line of demarcation for people who consider or have considered themselves Metallica fans.

An argument can be made that the black album is the most fan divisive album in history.
I always thought And Justice for All from MoP was a bigger shift than Justice to the Black Album. Not to mention I just don’t think there was much else they could do in the thrash style.

The Black album and Megadeth’s Countdown to Extinction were my intros to metal when I was maybe 14. Got the earlier albums, but never really liked anything newer than those two. The Black album probably gets discounted because of the immense overplaying, but that, Appetite for Destruction and Fear of a Black Planet are the albums that blew me away as a kid and I wore the hell out of those cassettes.

Rust in Peace is my favorite metal album of all time. Great transition between the thrash stuff and the more mainstream sound of Countdown. For the same reason I prob like And Justice the best of the Metallica albums. Plus as a former guitar nerd those two albums have guitar tones that I love.

As far as technical players, Friedman was in a class by himself among the two bands, but he got burned out on doing metal. Mustaine wrote the coolest riffs.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Death Magnetic has two songs that rank with the best they’ve ever done - Suicide and Redemption, The Day That Never Comes. The rest are fine but don’t stand out imho.

Metallica would not have worked long term with Dave. Dave has proven to be difficult to work with, and three trying to be Chief (James, Lars, Dave) wouldn’t work.

Dave is a great guitarist. He is a bitter human though. Never admitted any fault why they kicked him out. Then held the grudge for way to long.

Reactions: BigTurk