The great Metallica debate

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Dave is a great guitarist. He is a bitter human though. Never admitted any fault why they kicked him out. Then held the grudge for way to long.
Imagine getting kicked out of Metallica in the 80s for being too drunk all the time.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I always thought And Justice for All from MoP was a bigger shift than Justice to the Black Album. Not to mention I just don’t think there was much else they could do in the thrash style.

The Black album and Megadeth’s Countdown to Extinction were my intros to metal when I was maybe 14. Got the earlier albums, but never really liked anything newer than those two. The Black album probably gets discounted because of the immense overplaying, but that, Appetite for Destruction and Fear of a Black Planet are the albums that blew me away as a kid and I wore the hell out of those cassettes.

Rust in Peace is my favorite metal album of all time. Great transition between the thrash stuff and the more mainstream sound of Countdown. For the same reason I prob like And Justice the best of the Metallica albums. Plus as a former guitar nerd those two albums have guitar tones that I love.

As far as technical players, Friedman was in a class by himself among the two bands, but he got burned out on doing metal. Mustaine wrote the coolest riffs.
MoP for me is the quintessential Metallica album. I was 15 when it came out. Between Ride the Lightning and Puppets, Metallica was it for me. Nobody can convince me Orion isn't the best Metallica song ever... lol

Anyway, as a guy that played guitar in a band as a living for 10 years, Metallica is one of my biggest influences.

Dave was not destined to be in Metallica. As someone else up thread pointed out, Dave, Lars, and James... lots of ego and no compromise between them. Heck, Lars and James are why Jason left. Kirk worked out perfectly because he's just chill and did what he was told with no issues.

By the way... Black album is awesome as well. Rust in Peace... chef's kiss. Top notch.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm a huge hard rock and nu-metal band but I have to make a confessions. I actually liked St. Anger. There, I said it. I got it off my chest. I can finally breathe.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTurk

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
MoP for me is the quintessential Metallica album. I was 15 when it came out. Between Ride the Lightning and Puppets, Metallica was it for me. Nobody can convince me Orion isn't the best Metallica song ever... lol

Anyway, as a guy that played guitar in a band as a living for 10 years, Metallica is one of my biggest influences.

Dave was not destined to be in Metallica. As someone else up thread pointed out, Dave, Lars, and James... lots of ego and no compromise between them. Heck, Lars and James are why Jason left. Kirk worked out perfectly because he's just chill and did what he was told with no issues.

By the way... Black album is awesome as well. Rust in Peace... chef's kiss. Top notch.

Fade to black is my favorite Metallica song ever. My old roommate was Paul Gray from slipknot. Played it at his funeral and it means just so much to me. Everyone has their favorite though. Orion is a great song

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't see Dave as a more gifted guitar player than Kirk. Kirk wrote the solo on Four Horseman on the spot. Dave is great of course, I just don't see a talent gap like others have noted in here.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
For me, One is the greatest metal song ever. At their show in September they played One, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Master of Puppets, and Enter Sandman in succession.
It was certainly unique and special for it's time. James is quite a song writer. Also, very underrated guitar player. Maybe the best picking hand of all time.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I'm a huge hard rock and nu-metal band but I have to make a confessions. I actually liked St. Anger. There, I said it. I got it off my chest. I can finally breathe.
Finally! lol

How do you feel about Limp Bizkit? I like em.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I know, it’s not the proudest aspect of my life. I think the timing of when it dropped and how it resonated made it 10 times better sounding than it probably was.

No judgement here. Time and place matters in music.

Reactions: Jer