The Hex - CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The Hex kicks off on Friday with the US playing Mexico in Columbus. Dos a Cero!!! The US roster drops here in a few minutes. No Dempsey, of course, but it also looks like Geoff Cameron will not be available. He's missed Stoke City's last two matches with a knee issue.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Here's the squad for the first 2 Hex matches:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan, Ethan Horvath, Tim Howard, William Yarbrough

Defenders: Matt Besler, Steve Birnbaum, John Brooks, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Timmy Chandler, Omar Gonzalez, Fabian Johnson, Michael Orozco, DeAndre Yedlin

Midfielders: Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Lynden Gooch, Julian Green, Jermaine Jones, Sachs Kljestan, Christian Pulisic, Caleb Stanko, Graham Zusi

Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Jordan Morris, Bobby Wood

• Informative
Reactions: Cytasticlone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Do you have a link to how this works into qualifying? I'm trying to become more than just a World Cup/Euro Cup/Copa Americana fan.

What are your thoughts on Pullsic?

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Do you have a link to how this works into qualifying? I'm trying to become more than just a World Cup/Euro Cup/Copa Americana fan.

Here's the Wiki on on the "The HEX" which is CONCACAF's Fifth round of qualifying. Wikipedia Essentially, the top 3 of 6 after a full round-robin format go to the 2018 World Cup and 4th goes to a playoff.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Here's the Wiki on on the "The HEX" which is CONCACAF's Fifth round of qualifying. Wikipedia Essentially, the top 3 of 6 after a full round-robin format go to the 2018 World Cup and 4th goes to a playoff.

Surprised so many teams get in. I suppose to fill 32 spots though...

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
This is the final round of World Cup qualifying for CONCACAF. The remaining 6 nations (which is why people call it the Hexagonal) are put into one group where everybody plays the other 5 teams both home and away over the next year. The top 3 teams in the group automatically qualify for the 2018 World Cup while the 4th place finisher still has a chance to get there by winning a playoff against a provisional qualifier from another confederation.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
WCQ can be weird sometimes.

Last night, Jordan Morris who's been called up to the squad for games vs Mexico and @Costa Rica, received a sudden thigh injury that required him to be subbed off early in the 2nd leg of MLS conf. semi, no word on the extent of the injury but it doesn't sound good.

The Rest of the roster
CwnKizEWgAAfsFi.jpg

Goalkeepers (4): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders (9): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca),Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)

Midfielders (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

Everybody should be excited about Pulisic. The kid is playing regularly for one of the better clubs in all of Europe. Dortmund is still missing a couple players due to injury that will probably cut into Christian's field time down the road, but he's been playing a ton the last couple of months in both the Bundesliga and the Champions League.

I think it's really interesting that Klinsmann called in CCV. Twellman made a comment last night on TV that he's heard rumors that England has been sniffing around him recently so JK may be looking to get him cap tied if the opportunity presents itself.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I sold my MBB opener tix so I can go somewhere to watch this. Love being around other fans for competitive US games. Hopefully, it's a good game and good outcome. Would have loved to go the the bball game!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I know Darlington Nagbe has declined a lot of these events lately. Is his career with the national team over?

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I know Darlington Nagbe has declined a lot of these events lately. Is his career with the national team over?

Speculation is that he's not happy with getting called in to camps and then not getting played. He asked to not be called in for the recent friendlies, and once you start down that road you always run the risk of the coach not bothering to include you later. It seems like Klinsmann doesnt really rate him much anyway so

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The most recent Planet Futbol podcast has Grant Wahl interviewing 5 different US Soccer personalities about the 5 different Dos a Cero matches they were involved in. Pretty cool stuff if you're into the history of the rivalry.

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
I had an opportunity to get ISU tickets through work, but declined. Instead, I'll have 2 TVs going and plenty of beverages ready for Friday night!

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
worst part about Morris being gone is that he can play the wing. With the way Julian Green and Pulisic playing, there is real hope for the future. Pulisic being good also helps our Left Back situation as we can now play Fabian Johnson there and not feel like we are losing some on the attack. Also with the way that JK likes to attack with his Full Backs having an attacking presence think we can finally feel confidant that Fabian is the correct move there. Geoff Cameron being gone is a tough one, not just for the CB pairing, but because he can play DM or slide out right. Like the youth though.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
US vs Costa Rica tonight on BeIN sports.

Obligatory Costa Rica gets to sell the TV rights for their home qualifiers mention. So don't blame US Soccer for the network this is on.