The Holdovers (Movie)

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Has anyone seen this movie yet? Its very well done and Paul Giamatti was superb in it. Its kind of a Christmas movie in setting but not necessarily in theme. All of the actors do a great job and this movie has a lot of heart. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys these types of movies. Really hope it gets a nod for some awards.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
It’s fantastic. Directed by Alexander Payne, the same guy who did “Sideways” with Giamatti, and “The Descendants.”

The actor who plays the student, Dominic Sessa, was found in a casting call of Northeast boarding schools, and I thought he was outstanding in his first movie role.

I also like the little gimmicks Payne used at the beginning of the film to make it look like it was made in the 1970s, from the pops on the soundtrack to the “scratches” on the film to the old-school R rating logo to the copyright date, which I’m pretty sure was 1972 in Roman numerals.

Reactions: bos

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Has anyone seen this movie yet? Its very well done and Paul Giamatti was superb in it. Its kind of a Christmas movie in setting but not necessarily in theme. All of the actors do a great job and this movie has a lot of heart. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys these types of movies. Really hope it gets a nod for some awards.

Have not seen it yet, but it immediately went on our list. Love Paul Giamatti in most stuff that he is in.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It’s fantastic. Directed by Alexander Payne, the same guy who did “Sideways” with Giamatti, and “The Descendants.”

The actor who plays the student, Dominic Sessa, was found in a casting call of Northeast boarding schools, and I thought he was outstanding in his first movie role.

I also like the little gimmicks Payne used at the beginning of the film to make it look like it was made in the 1970s, from the pops on the soundtrack to the “scratches” on the film to the old-school R rating logo to the copyright date, which I’m pretty sure was 1972 in Roman numerals.
Sessa was great. Him being super defiant and running the halls into the gym and that whole scene had me laughing hard.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

LOVED it. It's gonna be up for a lot of awards.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Alexander Payne is my favorite director and it lives up to his other work. It might even have a claim for his best film, I'll have to watch it a few more times.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron