The Invites

spudhawk

Feb 20, 2009
Serious question: what is the procedure in the PAC-10? As in what number need to agree for expansion?

It used to be a unamimous vote but I have read in multiple places that it isn't anymore. I am not sure what the number is now.

I think the reason this is happening now could be the state of the West Coast States finances. I don't know how many of the Pac 10 schools are self financed( I am sure Oregon is Nike fuelied) but I can't imagine the California state schools will be able to get state money for the athletic departments for much longer.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
couple of things. OU is Tier 1, Tech and OSU are crap.

The Pac has given authority to their commish to extend the offers. That means they have already voted on it.

Don't hold back, Boomer.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
The invite that I would like to see is the Big Ten officially offering ND. The Big Ten should be giving the ultimatum to ND and then let the chips fall where they may. Should ND accept, then the Pac Ten can go ahead and offer CU and UT and the Big Twelve can add either TCU or BYU. Done deal, at least for now.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
just don't think the Big 12 South is going anywhere. Texas/OU want to hold the Big 12 together, and Texas Tech and OSU would not get 100% of the votes from Pac 10(Standford and Cal) due to academic concerns.

Pac 10 is probably looking at Utah and Colorado.

If the Pac 10 gets Texas, they will take the others schools even if they don't line up with the conference's acedemic standing because Texas = $$$$$$.

The Pac 10 is definitely not looking at Utah and Colorado based on the last week...they want to add 6 Big 12 teams.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Does the AQ for the Big 12 even matter if there are only 4 teams remaining?

Does the AQ even matter period? The best scenario (read: most logical) that I've heard is that the four 16 team superconferences take each of the 16 divisional champions and have a playoff. Bye bye BCS. Bye bye full Jack Trice.

MissouriFan

Jun 2, 2009
St. Louis
I guess it depends on who we would replace the South schools with. If we could bring in TCU, BYU, Utah and Boise (+2 others obviously), then we might have a decent shot.

If the 6 teams in the South bolt for the Pac 10/16, and Neb and Mizzou head to the Big 10/11, then I don't see how the Big 12 could possibly keep its AQ. Even if the conference survived and added 8 new teams to replace those that have left, it would be a pretty bad league.

Even if 8 schools left I think you all could patch together a BCS AQ worthy league.

Plus since it takes a 9-3 vote to get something done in the Big 12 you and the other three schools left would be able to collect exit fees from the 8 schools that are leaving. The four teams that are staying are not going to vote to dissolve the conference.

If MU/NU go the the Big Ten and the South goes to the Pac 10 you all could add

Memphis, Pittsburgh (if not invied by the Big Ten), Cincinnati, Louisville, TCU, BYU, Utah, and New Mexico.

New Big 12

East
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Louisville
Memphis
Pittsburgh

West
BYU
Colorado
Kansas State
New Mexico
TCU
Utah

If Pitt isn't available offer Boise State and move K-State to the East. Either way I'm sure that would be a BCS AQ league.

If MU and/or NU don't get a bid to the Big Ten then add them in as well.

Create a conference network and have equal revenue sharing.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Does the AQ even matter period? The best scenario (read: most logical) that I've heard is that the four 16 team superconferences take each of the 16 divisional champions and have a playoff. Bye bye BCS. Bye bye full Jack Trice.

A system that locks other schools out like this would be shot down in court, if not in congress. The BCS has had its own issues with this, and it actually does have spaces for at-large teams from non-BCS conferences. There's no way this would fly.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006

I don't know why you believe this is the most logical. In that scenario, you have just taken out half of the teams that play D1 football. The BCS has more power than you think, and it wouldn't happen. You have 5 BCS games. If you have 5 super-conferences, you have a conference for every game with an invite to an opponent.

Use the Big 12 AQ status to merge teams to create the fifth super-conference with teams from the MWC and the remaining B12. All teams get what they want. MWC gets the AQ and the B12 remaining teams stay as a power conference. That is most logical if all of these teams and conferences actually agree to move.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Even if 8 schools left I think you all could patch together a BCS AQ worthy league.

Plus since it takes a 9-3 vote to get something done in the Big 12 you and the other three schools left would be able to collect exit fees from the 8 schools that are leaving. The four teams that are staying are not going to vote to dissolve the conference.

Memphis, Pittsburgh (if not invied by the Big Ten), Cincinnati, Louisville, TCU, BYU, Utah, and New Mexico.

New Big 12

East
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Louisville
Memphis
Pittsburgh

West
BYU
Colorado
Kansas State
New Mexico
TCU
Utah

If Pitt isn't available offer Boise State and move K-State to the East. Either way I'm sure that would be a BCS AQ league.

The only problem with this is you end up with with a conference that's about 2500 miles wide - is such a conference even logistically feasible, especially since this conference isn't necessarily going to be a revenue giant? If Iowa isn't going to want to travel to Rutgers for a conference women's track event, why would Pittsburgh want to have to travel to New Mexico?

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA

New Big 12

East
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Louisville
Memphis
Pittsburgh

West
BYU
Colorado
Kansas State
New Mexico
TCU
Utah

This is very similar to what I came up with a couple of days ago, although I also took West Virginia from the soon-to-be non-existent Big East, they're a great school for the big sports, but they could get picked up by the ACC. Also, Boise is great in football, but they don't offer a whole lot beyond that, and who knows what would happen to them in a tougher football league? I suggested UNLV, they are horrible in football, but have good basketball tradition and a good market to open up in Vegas.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I don't know the bylaws but if eight teams leave can't they just vote to desolve the conference and not pay the penalty and get rid of the B12 name and it's AQ satus? This is the scenario I worry most about as we would be left with absolutely nothing.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I don't know the bylaws but if eight teams leave can't they just vote to desolve the conference and not pay the penalty and get rid of the B12 name and it's AQ satus? This is the scenario I worry most about as we would be left with absolutely nothing.

Supposedly, the bylaws say that 9 of 12 must vote to disband the conference, so we're in luck if we can keep at least 4 teams.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
The only problem with this is you end up with with a conference that's about 2500 miles wide - is such a conference even logistically feasible, especially since this conference isn't necessarily going to be a revenue giant? If Iowa isn't going to want to travel to Rutgers for a conference women's track event, why would Pittsburgh want to have to travel to New Mexico?
This new Big 12 or MWC needs to go to 16 teams period.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Yeah, but then you end up with the original problem that the WAC had when it expanded to 16 teams (and then split into the current existing WAC and MWC) - it's a Sasquatch-sized conference in terms of geographic footprint that isn't justified by the amount of revenue it would generate as schools would lose big time on travel costs - only in this case you'd practically be doubling the footprint of that old WAC as it would practically be a coast-to-coast conference that hardly anyone from coast-to-coast would be interested in watching.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA

I don't understand this reasoning at all. If there is a "new Big 12" after losing 8 schools, it won't be one of the 4 superconferences. ACC, Big Ten/16, Pac-16, SEC. There's your ballgame. I think the goal after this is to become the most viable alternative, above the MWC/C-USA/WAC, because if this happens, we (and a lot of other schools) are going to be shut out, but we still want at least a small piece of the game in some form or fashion. Am I wrong here? I don't see how there's any way, if it comes down to 4 16-team superconferences, that we get in one, but we certainly don't want to get stuck in the MAC, and there will be other schools with us on the outside, like Kansas, K-State, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Utah, BYU, TCU...etc.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I don't understand this reasoning at all. If there is a "new Big 12" after losing 8 schools, it won't be one of the 4 superconferences. ACC, Big Ten/16, Pac-16, SEC. There's your ballgame. I think the goal after this is to become the most viable alternative, above the MWC/C-USA/WAC, because if this happens, we (and a lot of other schools) are going to be shut out, but we still want at least a small piece of the game in some form or fashion. Am I wrong here? I don't see how there's any way, if it comes down to 4 16-team superconferences, that we get in one, but we certainly don't want to get stuck in the MAC, and there will be other schools with us on the outside, like Kansas, K-State, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Utah, BYU, TCU...etc.

Plus, this conference would be a heck of a basketball conference. Sure, some bad schools, but Kansas, Utah, Louisville, Cincinnati, K-State? That's a league with 4-5 bids to the tourney every year.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm starting to not buy this Orangebloods hype. The only thing he's proven is that the PAC-10 is looking at moving to 16 teams. The rest has jsut been conjecture. He seems like a Texa$$ front organization that is maneuvering to manipulate Nebraska. His latest tweet is about the Big Television shutting down expansion if they can get ND. I read another article that cited sources saying that wasn't necessarily the case (read: CBSsportsline)