The Last of Us HBO series

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
“Maybe” calling her whiny “might” be off? It’s completely off base. She’s not whiny at all. Either you are just hearing what you want to hear, or you are searching for a reason to complain (whine) yourself.

As far as not listening. I know right? Joel told her she couldn’t have a gun. She didn’t listen, and 10 minutes there she was, saving his ass because she didn’t listen.
You seem to be responding to the wrong person. I never called her whiny and even said it was off base. I said she gave me Carl vibes.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Its a few hours out of the way. But that's assuming normal travel. There could be areas that Joel would want to avoid based on FEDRA\hostile groups\infected
Probably about 4-5 hours or so. Just would have been cool if they used Des Moines or Omaha in the show and make more sense, no actual impact on enjoyment of the show.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Probably about 4-5 hours or so. Just would have been cool if they used Des Moines or Omaha in the show and make more sense, no actual impact on enjoyment of the show.
I did see a sign for Des Moines when they got stuck on the highway outside the city

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I have not played the games, but I am going to have to now that I'm watching this series. It has been so well done, all episodes. I really like that the zombies are not the focal point of the show, and the actors so far are spot-on cast.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You seem to be responding to the wrong person. I never called her whiny and even said it was off base. I said she gave me Carl vibes.
Yep, sorry wrong person. Got no idea what that other poster was watching to come away thinking that character is a whiny brat.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have not played the games, but I am going to have to now that I'm watching this series. It has been so well done, all episodes. I really like that the zombies are not the focal point of the show, and the actors so far are spot-on cast.

Highly recommend. There are things that are better about each medium, but both are great so far.

As its a game, there will be more combat (and more infected) but also more interaction between characters. Lots of little conversations between Ellie\Joel, as well as random things you find scattered throughout the world that deepen the experience. And because you're playing *as* these characters its a different type of connection.

dkgash4ISU

Aug 5, 2015
I hadn't played the games prior to the series either and realistically knew I wouldn't have time or patience to get through it. Ended up finding a YouTube video which stitched together all of the cutscenes and important conversations from gameplay which was great. Was still about 5ish hours long for Part 1, but broke it up in chunks of an hour or so each night which made it quite manageable.

Reactions: 1100011CS

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
What are you watching? She’s not whiny or bratty at all. She’s pretty funny and adapting well and quickly.

The dialogue between Joel and Ellie in the 2nd/3rd episodes was cringe. I'm not sure how you could say she wasn't bratty. Everything that came out her mouth was exasperated sarcasm. Which is fine for her character. I'm glad they got that initial adversarial part of her and Joel's relationship out of the way.

srjclone2.0

Dec 21, 2022
Its a few hours out of the way. But that's assuming normal travel. There could be areas that Joel would want to avoid based on FEDRA\hostile groups\infected
Yeah, maybe I was just over thinking, but when I saw them in KC I figured that Chicago got completely obliterated and there was no highway that was still able to support travel for a good ways around the city. Causing them to go south knowing KC had a QZ and probably more accessible via HWY.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just finished it. Wow, that was quite an episode. Sam and Henry were great.

Loved the little easter eggs for the game as well. Ish's place, and the bloater ripping a head off the way it did to joel countless times in my playthroughs

The child clicker taking out Kathleen was some poetic justice.

I've also noticed them doing some things to try to set up some elements of part 2.
In this episode particularly, Kathleen foreshadows someone not being able to let go of their hatred and need for revenge, and Ellie trying to help Sam shows a bit of the part of her wanting to be a savior. Ellie absolutely would have given her life for a cure, and Joel steals that from her.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Such an excellent show. First one in a while that I want to watch as soon as it drops.

I didn't like Bella Ramsey at first, but she is just excellent in her role and is probably my favorite now. And Pascal is good in everything he does.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not gonna lie this show is pretty dang grim.

My kid watches a show on Netflix called Hilda, and it's about a fantastical place and Bella is the voice of the main character in that too. Honestly she's pretty dang good.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The games do a much better job of building the survival horror aspect. The show is remarkably action free in comparison.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Not gonna lie this show is pretty dang grim.

My kid watches a show on Netflix called Hilda, and it's about a fantastical place and Bella is the voice of the main character in that too. Honestly she's pretty dang good.
Watch Catherine called Birdy if you want to see Bella Ramsey really knock it out of the park. My whole family enjoyed that movie.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
A couple of thoughts.
  • The sniper scene and zombie uprising were extremely well done. It just all seemed so much more visceral than the game. I found this sequence in the game to fun, but extremely annoying during the first part where you have to take down the sniper.
  • I don't have the link anymore, but read an interesting article that talked about how numerous scenes in the show that closely replicate the game are often flipped left-to-right (Joel and Sarah on the couch, where the zombies came from in this episode). It might be a reach but feels like it fits with the idea that this is an alternate telling.
  • Is there any question that her blood helped Sam? Instead of turning in 30 minutes or so, he made it until the next morning.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A couple of thoughts.
  • The sniper scene and zombie uprising were extremely well done. It just all seemed so much more visceral than the game. I found this sequence in the game to fun, but extremely annoying during the first part where you have to take down the sniper.
  • I don't have the link anymore, but read an interesting article that talked about how numerous scenes in the show that closely replicate the game are often flipped left-to-right (Joel and Sarah on the couch, where the zombies came from in this episode). It might be a reach but feels like it fits with the idea that this is an alternate telling.
  • Is there any question that her blood helped Sam? Instead of turning in 30 minutes or so, he made it until the next morning.

Nah, her blood did nothing. The bite was on his lower leg

U6G4MVp.png

What it does show is how much she wants her life to mean something. She wants to be the savior.

Help Support Us

Become a patron