The Leftovers

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Love the show, glad to see there are some other watchers of it. This past episode was a good one to wrap all the back stories into it, so with the season finale to go I am interested to see in how they cliff-hanger it. Jill joining the GR won't happen in the long run I bet. Especially if her mom takes on a more prominent role in it.

Kevin's dad is bound to escape again as well.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Ha ha. Replying to myself. OK, at least they shed some light on this issue.

And agree with poster that said Jill is one irritating character. But it was great to see how much she had changed since the event, so I will now cut her some slack.

Yeah I guess Laurie definitely has reason to go nuts, assuming her baby disappeared.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yeah I guess Laurie definitely has reason to go nuts, assuming her baby disappeared.

Not really.
The organization really doesn't make any sense. They claim their purpose is to make people remember but all they do is follow people around, treat others with 0 regard and try to kill off what is inside of themselves. Then the revelation that somehow there is sides being drawn. On one side, you have the cop, his dad, the voices and the dog shooter. The other is the people in white. Then the wild card which is the sin eater knockoff (feeling eater?) and his asian spawns. Not sure of their purpose quite yet. Will be an interesting ride if HBO actually finishes the show. Seems like it has cancelled written all over it after season 2.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Not really.
The organization really doesn't make any sense. They claim their purpose is to make people remember but all they do is follow people around, treat others with 0 regard and try to kill off what is inside of themselves. Then the revelation that somehow there is sides being drawn. On one side, you have the cop, his dad, the voices and the dog shooter. The other is the people in white. Then the wild card which is the sin eater knockoff (feeling eater?) and his asian spawns. Not sure of their purpose quite yet. Will be an interesting ride if HBO actually finishes the show. Seems like it has cancelled written all over it after season 2.

I think the organization makes perfect sense. In the minds of the GR they were not worthy to ascend to heaven with everyone else which means they'll be spending eternity in hell. What's the point of anyone trying to live normal lives anymore. Eternity is forever.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ha ha. Replying to myself. OK, at least they shed some light on this issue.

And agree with poster that said Jill is one irritating character. But it was great to see how much she had changed since the event, so I will now cut her some slack.

Yeah, when the lady you called "the best mom ever" suddenly and without apparent reason decides to join a cult, I guess it can **** you up.

Hopefully she will have some growth in the next season and stop being such a turd though.

I still don't get Laurie leaving. Yes she lost an unborn child, and her husband was ******* around, but she had two kids who she effed over. I wonder if it has more to do with her prior relationship with the late great leader of the GR.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the organization makes perfect sense. In the minds of the GR they were not worthy to ascend to heaven with everyone else which means they'll be spending eternity in hell. What's the point of anyone trying to live normal lives anymore. Eternity is forever.

Yeah but the whole rapture thing is BS. Completely innocent little kids were leftover and total *** hats were taken. They have to see a flaw in that logic.

I really loved the last episode. There were SO many questions looming and one look back made at least a big chunk of them make more sense. Freaking crazy

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not 100% certain she lost the unborn child yet... Could have ended up having it aborted after the disappearance happened too. It just seems odd they didn't mention babies disappearing from wombs yet until this point, thought I guess they could have hid it for this big reveal.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah but the whole rapture thing is BS. Completely innocent little kids were leftover and total *** hats were taken. They have to see a flaw in that logic.

Not disagreeing with you but those kids that got left behind could have been un-baptized or old enough where they should have been able to have faith by then but did not. The kids that were taken were either baptized or old enough to choose to be faithful. I can't remember the "age cutoff" for that or if there is one. I don't think there is, it's pretty hazy IIRC.

Reaching a bit I know but this show appears to be following the Christian Rapture pretty closely so I'm using that as the guide. Total ***-hats are allowed into heaven if they've accepted JC as their lord and savior.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Not disagreeing with you but those kids that got left behind could have been un-baptized or old enough where they should have been able to have faith by then but did not. The kids that were taken were either baptized or old enough to choose to be faithful. I can't remember the "age cutoff" for that or if there is one. I don't think there is, it's pretty hazy IIRC.

Reaching a bit I know but this show appears to be following the Christian Rapture pretty closely so I'm using that as the guide. Total ***-hats are allowed into heaven if they've accepted JC as their lord and savior.

So the preacher didn't accept Jesus? I understand what you are saying but I think the whole idea of this show is not to accept their is a known reason for any of it. The preacher said in a earlier episode that he believes it's a test. If it is based on christian faith like you say, god tested Jobe who was devout. He tested Jesus by letting the devil tempt him. Who knows what direction they are going with it really. I think that is the appeal. But then again, I never read the book.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa

I agree with you on the part of not living a normal life anymore and trying to force everyone to not forget, but I can't understand the not talking and chain smoking part. I can't see anyway that furthers their goals. It does make them creepy which is probably good for the show, but I can't make any sense out of it.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
So the preacher didn't accept Jesus? I understand what you are saying but I think the whole idea of this show is not to accept their is a known reason for any of it. The preacher said in a earlier episode that he believes it's a test. If it is based on christian faith like you say, god tested Jobe who was devout. He tested Jesus by letting the devil tempt him. Who knows what direction they are going with it really. I think that is the appeal. But then again, I never read the book.

Very good points. Regarding the preacher, maybe he talked to the talk but doesn't truly walk the walk. Who knows though..

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I agree with you on the part of not living a normal life anymore and trying to force everyone to not forget, but I can't understand the not talking and chain smoking part. I can't see anyway that furthers their goals. It does make them creepy which is probably good for the show, but I can't make any sense out of it.

What made me torn on them was when that one person was hurt and the 2 people just walked over him not helping at all. Or when the preacher tried to help the two and got hit with a rock, not only did they not help him, but they took his church. If they are trying to atone or change their fate in any way, they sure are doing a ****** job of it. Also, they seem to have 0 fate.
Also, if it's following the rapture, no where in the bible does it say only the ones taken in the beginning are saved so to say hell is their fate wouldn't be accurate.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
What made me torn on them was when that one person was hurt and the 2 people just walked over him not helping at all. Or when the preacher tried to help the two and got hit with a rock, not only did they not help him, but they took his church. If they are trying to atone or change their fate in any way, they sure are doing a ****** job of it. Also, they seem to have 0 fate.
Also, if it's following the rapture, no where in the bible does it say only the ones taken in the beginning are saved so to say hell is their fate wouldn't be accurate.

I don't think they think they are all going to hell. If that was the case then why go to all the trouble to remind people. They seem to think they know something else is coming and they are getting ready for it.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I did have one other thought on the cigarettes. I've never seen any of them with a pack of cigs, they always have them in plastic bags. Seem strange, maybe they are drugged or something.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Patty the leader of the GR killing herself was such an awesome scene. Hopefully she'll still be in flashbacks because her acting was top notch.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not 100% certain she lost the unborn child yet... Could have ended up having it aborted after the disappearance happened too. It just seems odd they didn't mention babies disappearing from wombs yet until this point, thought I guess they could have hid it for this big reveal.

That final scene was to show how each of the main characters were directly effected and how they directly witnessed the rapturing: Nora with her family disappearing, the two kids having their circle broken by another student disappearing, the floozy Kevin was boinking disappearing mid-coitus. There is no way that Laurie would be included in that scene while getting a sonogram unless it was to lose the fetus to the rapture.

Super excited for the finale and a little disappointed Patti won't be around anymore. As someone said earlier the lady who plays her is a very good actress and her character was so interesting, especially since she was the only one of the GR that regularly spoke.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Well that was one seriously effed up plan the GR did last night.

Ha ha, no kidding. Serious **** move.

I guess it does go to the question of what the purpose of the GR is? They say they want to make them "remember", but who is to say that these people are not already still in grief? Oh well, good episode.

But SMH that Tommy would drop that kid off on his dad's front porch. WTF?

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
That was a crazy last episode of the year. Cant say Ive ever seen any show like that, my mind was like what just happened for the entire hour.