The Most Important Thing I Saw From the Baylor Game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This shows me we are growing, this shows me that we are tough, this shows me we can compete at the top level athletically, this shows me that we are sustainable:

We were dunking everything yesterday. We must have had 8 dunks against the #1 team in the country yesterday and the majority came in tough situations or the normal flow of offense (not breakaways).

I don’t know if we had 8 total non fast breaks dunks in the entirety of the last two years. It’s a stupid thing but it means a ton to me in terms of where we are. A bunch of junkyard dogs on this team.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This shows me we are growing, this shows me that we are tough, this shows me we can compete at the top level athletically, this shows me that we are sustainable:

We were dunking everything yesterday. We must have had 8 dunks against the #1 team in the country yesterday and the majority came in tough situations or the normal flow of offense (not breakaways).

I don’t know if we had 8 total non fast breaks dunks in the entirety of the last two years. It’s a stupid thing but it means a ton to me in terms of where we are. A bunch of junkyard dogs on this team.
I liked that they are dunking instead of trying to lay it in. They are less likely to block the dunks and blocks are a real danger on layups with a long team like Baylor. It seemed like ISU could have gotten a couple of 'and ones' with a couple of those dunks as well. If there is anything that charges the crowd up more than a dunk it is probably a dunk or three point shot that results in an 'and one'.

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
One thing I see is the points margin. Stripping away their throw away opponents so far this year Baylor has beat:

Stanford by 38
Arizona State by 12
Virginia Commonwealth by 8
#10 Michigan State by 17
….Repeating that one – #10 Michigan State by 17
#22 - Villanova by 21
….Repeating that one - #22 Villanova by 21
and Oregon by 8

Iowa State by……5

This is not to be interpreted as some moral victory. I hate that thought. But it is perspective.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One thing I see is the points margin. Stripping away their throw away opponents so far this year Baylor has beat:

Stanford by 38
Arizona State by 12
Virginia Commonwealth by 8
#10 Michigan State by 17
….Repeating that one – #10 Michigan State by 17
#22 - Villanova by 21
….Repeating that one - #22 Villanova by 21
and Oregon by 8

Iowa State by……5

This is not to be interpreted as some moral victory. I hate that thought. But it is perspective.
We all see that ISU lost by just 5 and it was a game the whole way through. The naysayer AP voters will point to the fact that ISU never led in this game as a rationale that ISU didn't belong on the floor with them and they should drop out of the top 25.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We pass the eye test for sure, big, athletic, physical guys. We'll need it against Tech, they are some grown ass men.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

You kids and your dunks.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
My favorite thing was that we didn't take a bunch of bad threes when we got behind by 10+. I only remember one 3PA (Kalscheur from way deep) that didn't seem in the flow of the offense. We trusted what was working (driving and looking for open guys in the paint for those dunks) and worked our way back methodically, then got it out for good threes that we just missed. Against just about any other team, or with a little bit better shooting, that will lead to a lot of wins.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We all see that ISU lost by just 5 and it was a game the whole way through. The naysayer AP voters will point to the fact that ISU never led in this game as a rationale that ISU didn't belong on the floor with them and they should drop out of the top 25.

Let them, I'm on the tourney bandwagon now. The less people give this team credit, the more surprised they will be when they are in their jock for 40 minutes on defense and they will break down and cry like Iowa did.

Reactions: CyNews

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I thought our half court offense was outstanding. The guys cut hard and really move without the ball. That resulted in a lot of dunks, layups and free throw attempts against a really good defensive team. Great to see and will keep us in road games. But perimeter shooting is our achilles heal and will cost us some games. We go 4-14 from 3 we win. Whereas 1-14 may not get it done against any Big 12 teams this season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I thought our half court offense was outstanding. The guys cut hard and really move without the ball. That resulted in a lot of dunks, layups and free throw attempts against a really good defensive team. Great to see and will keep us in road games. But perimeter shooting is our achilles heal and will cost us some games. We go 4-14 from 3 we win. Whereas 1-14 may not get it done against any Big 12 teams this season.
I really think the boneheaded turnovers that led to transition points were more of a problem than the perimeter shooting. ISU gave up a few really easy steals that led to layups or dunks on the other end. If ISU had gotten those cleaned up ISU is in a position to win despite going 1 for 14 from the arc.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was at the game; I never got the sense that we were playing well enough to win, but we still fought and had a chance at the end. That'll translate into winning some tough games over the next couple months.
Fran kept saying that Hunter was learning about what it takes to play (and win) in the Big 12. I agree with him and could take it further - all of these players are learning that. They may have come from the big 10, PAC 12 or whatever other league. But the Big 12 this year is top notch. The good news is that they will get a baptism by fire. If they can win enough to get to the dance, there isn't anything out there that they won't be able to handle.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Fran kept saying that Hunter was learning about what it takes to play (and win) in the Big 12. I agree with him and could take it further - all of these players are learning that. They may have come from the big 10, PAC 12 or whatever other league. But the Big 12 this year is top notch. The good news is that they will get a baptism by fire. If they can win enough to get to the dance, there isn't anything out there that they won't be able to handle.
I also read a short write up of the game on cbssports that said that Hunter had all but 2 of his points and ZERO turnovers in the 2nd half yesterday. Talk about growing up quickly. Quite impressive that he adjusted so well - especially against arguably the best d in the league/nation. Bring on the Red Raiders!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I also read a short write up of the game on cbssports that said that Hunter had all but 2 of his points and ZERO turnovers in the 2nd half yesterday. Talk about growing up quickly. Quite impressive that he adjusted so well - especially against arguably the best d in the league/nation. Bring on the Red Raiders!

Hunter got a good learning experience vs. those guards yesterday.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
the fact that our guys are a bunch of junk yard dogs is the most important thing I saw. Our guys go after loose balls and contest shots like crazy. Hunter had a huge effort block that was amazing. Man, if they are willing to sell out like that, makes it so easy to get behind them, win or lose.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

At 45/50 on dunks this year, we are only behind Baylor (68/74), KU (48/54), and TT (46/51) in dunks, although not equal game counts. Ok St is 45/51