The Mother of all Collapses

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Just a few days ago quite a few were somewhat disappointed in the collapse the Clones had in the 3rd quarter against Iowa. It was a 17/18 (?) point lead going into the 4th quarter and the girls had completely controlled their destiny for 3 quarters and I think everyone felt sure a victory was in the bag. I know I did. But a collapse of epic proportions took place and they lost by two. There's nothing that can get the bad taste of a loss out of your mouth than a good solid victory which occurred today. Not only a solid victory but one with well balanced scoring and where the freshmen played a significant role in the out come. Even yet I'm sure the loss to Iowa (especially since it was Iowa) will frost us to some degree for the rest of the year.

Just thought I'd share this little piece of history with you WBB fans. This I consider to be the Mother of all Collapses. In 2008 at the WBB Tourney in KC Baylor was a #2 seed ranked 9th in the country. They played TX in their opener game who was unranked and a 7th seed. At halftime BU had a 23 point lead. Gayle Goestenkoers took the Longhorns into the locker room and told them they were going to make headlines across the country. She predicted the Horns would come back in the second half and win the game. She said the whole sports world will be talking about it. When she sent the team back out her assistant coaches asked her if she believed a word of what she had just said. She said No, but did you want me to tell them they were going to lose by 50?

When the game ended TX had won by 15 points. Baylor committed 18 turnovers in the second half. They missed layups and free throws. Committed one stupid foul after another. Sometimes didn't even get a shot off before the buzzer. Kim used all her timeouts in about 8 minutes and then just gave up and sat on the bench and watched the meltdown. Yes a 23 point lead at half, a 15 point loss when the buzzer sounded. Almost inconceivable and unbelievable but I witnessed it with mine own eyes. THAT my friends was the "Mother of all Upsets". Feel any better now?

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Another painful memory for ISU WBB... Thanks for trying to make us feel better, Geewago.

The best comeback for ISU WBB recently was the win over BU in the final game last season. Got to see it in person!!!

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Anyone else remember this near disaster?

I was there, right behind the ISU bench. We could be seen on the broadcast jumping to our feet as Megan's shot went in to s(t)eal the win. The article wouldn't display for me, but I believe OU went on either an 18- or 20-0 run as the game wound down. That was such a fun stretch of time in the Fennelly era: OU was consistently one of the best teams in the entire nation and they could NOT beat Iowa State, no matter how good they were.

Help Support Us

Become a patron