The New Boys of Summer? MLS equals MLB in popularity with kids

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
MLS catches up with MLB in ESPN Sports Poll - ESPN FC

"For the first time in the nation’s history, Major League Soccer (inaugural season: 1996) has caught up with Major League Baseball (founded in 1869) in a significant marker of popularity. Both leagues can claim 18 percent of
12-17-year-olds as avid fans of their sport.
"

“While there are questions about which direction MLB will go in for 12-17-year-olds, we have no reason to believe the trend for MLS will be anything but up.â€￾

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
yay, tied for second to last!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
gJeTmZq.gif

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
MLS catches up with MLB in ESPN Sports Poll - ESPN FC

"For the first time in the nation’s history, Major League Soccer (inaugural season: 1996) has caught up with Major League Baseball (founded in 1869) in a significant marker of popularity. Both leagues can claim 18 percent of
12-17-year-olds as avid fans of their sport.
"

“While there are questions about which direction MLB will go in for 12-17-year-olds, we have no reason to believe the trend for MLS will be anything but up.”

It's unclear whether they are fans of the MLS, or just soccer in general. The devil is in the details here. I find it tough to watch most MLS games still (I do watch MLS when I can). I love EPL and the European game. MLS is and will get there, but it's not on that level quite yet.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Soccer has been the most popular sport in the world and has been for like ever. This isn't really surprising. Only surprising thing is how long it is taking to grow in the US compared to everywhere else.

Queue the soccer is boring people. blah blah blah. I love baseball a lot and diehard Cardinals fan, but totally understand anyone that says it is boring and slow as hell. Cuz it totally can be, it's a pastime so it's meant to do just that: pass time.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I love soccer, but I'm only mildly interested in the MLS. It's just not as fun to watch IMO. Now if I lived in KC I'd have season tickets in a heartbeat, going to watch a match there was one of the most fun sports experiences I've had.

I'll sit down and watch an EPL match regardless of who's playing no problem, I can't say the same for the MLS.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I see the soccer haters are out in force this morning. I know that the MLS is not on par with EPL, La Liga, etc but I would challenge people to go to a game. I will be attending the Sporting KC v. LA galaxy which features the past 2 MLS cup teams this summer and I will for sure be having a great time.

It doesn't hurt that they have an all-inclusive game, food and beer ticket available either.

Oh, also baseball is boring. I would rather watch golf.

cycloneike001

Dec 14, 2008
Ames
I'm not at all surprised. The MLS will hopefully get to that next level in the near future. This past fall I attended a few EPL games and the atmosphere is unreal. It would be amazing to see in the United States.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
and 99% of those are 12 years old... Then they learn better

I think you may be joking, but seriously, is there a demographic with more fickle tastes than 12-17 year olds? What is the value in polling them? If anything, a person's tastes when they're 12-17 are a good indicator of what they won't be interested in when they're older.

They also can't claim that MLS has seen "steady" growth when six of the last seven years have been either flat or declining.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
As far as kids go it's not difficult to see why soccer would be popular to play. When you're out there you're always running, kicking, moving. Baseball is boring to play, 90% of the time the kids are standing around, that's not fun especially for the younger crowd typically. Football is better than baseball but even then you've got a lot of downtime between plays.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It's inevitable, because of the way it's pushed on kids today. Combine that with being able to play it year around and it's going to be a popular sport. I won't get into the classic arguments for or against soccer, but you have to admit, it's just an easy sport to pick up, I'm sure that's why it's becoming so popular. The only special equipment you need, is a ball, nothing else. Makes it an easy sport to practice, even on your own. Makes it easy for parents to let their kids play it. You aren't spending $300 on equipment for the kid to decide next week, they don't like playing.

As far as a spectator sport goes for me, I'm not a fan, but I have to admit, exercise, ease of participation and enjoyment my kids get out of it, I'm more than happy to allow them to play. Which makes it even more obvious to me why it's becoming so popular.

Reactions: ISUME

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
I love soccer, but I'm only mildly interested in the MLS. It's just not as fun to watch IMO. Now if I lived in KC I'd have season tickets in a heartbeat, going to watch a match there was one of the most fun sports experiences I've had.

I'll sit down and watch an EPL match regardless of who's playing no problem, I can't say the same for the MLS.

In all honesty, I think this is the mantra of many soccer fans. That's the funny thing. We're comparing MLB, which is the world's best for baseball, to MLS, which definitely is not. That's what's remarkable IMO.

I will say this, however: play has gotten much better in the MLS in my time watching. Can't help to think of the potential for a bright future ahead.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
As far as kids go it's not difficult to see why soccer would be popular to play. When you're out there you're always running, kicking, moving. Baseball is boring to play, 90% of the time the kids are standing around, that's not fun especially for the younger crowd typically. Football is better than baseball but even then you've got a lot of downtime between plays.

What I liked about playing baseball was the social element. It was a good way to kill time with your friends and goof around. Especially in the summer when there are high temperatures and humidity and you don't want to exert a lot of continuous physical effort.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What I liked about playing baseball was the social element. It was a good way to kill time with your friends and goof around. Especially in the summer when there are high temperatures and humidity and you don't want to exert a lot of continuous physical effort.
Most kids I know aren't all that interested in standing around chatting.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's inevitable, because of the way it's pushed on kids today. Combine that with being able to play it year around and it's going to be a popular sport. I won't get into the classic arguments for or against soccer, but you have to admit, it's just an easy sport to pick up, I'm sure that's why it's becoming so popular. The only special equipment you need, is a ball, nothing else. Makes it an easy sport to practice, even on your own. Makes it easy for parents to let their kids play it. You aren't spending $300 on equipment for the kid to decide next week, they don't like playing.

As far as a spectator sport goes for me, I'm not a fan, but I have to admit, exercise, ease of participation and enjoyment my kids get out of it, I'm more than happy to allow them to play. Which makes it even more obvious to me why it's becoming so popular.
A goal is helpful too, preferably 2.