***The Official ESPN + Stinks Thread***

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Never been so frustrated with a so called service in my life. Every commercial the thing goes to endless commercials. Quit and restart and it sometimes works…sometimes restarts the game and sometimes goes to endless commercials “event about to start” message. And we are saddled with this junk under the new contract. I wonder how a company as big as Disney/ESPN can produce such a horrible service.
Sounds like a you problem to me to. I'm able to fast forward through commercials. I'm watching on a computer, so that may be the reason if you're streaming it through a smart TV or something.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The picture and production quality are pretty bad, but I haven't had too much trouble with the stream coming through or anything like the OP states. My biggest issue with the app is the level of difficulty in trying to catch another game on commercials. I can't get switched to regular tv to check another game and re-start the app in a normal commercial window. On my regular TV I can use the "back" button to switch back and forth between two games, and also have all my sports channels on a separate channel list that I can easily sift through to check other games on a commercial break.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I still say the worst part is how the Big 12 is positioned on the app.

I bounce in and the ISU game wasn't on the opening (Roku) page. Some rando games and sports, but I had to make an effort to search out the premier mother ******* game on the platform.

What's Yormark's email address?!?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Never been so frustrated with a so called service in my life. Every commercial the thing goes to endless commercials. Quit and restart and it sometimes works…sometimes restarts the game and sometimes goes to endless commercials “event about to start” message. And we are saddled with this junk under the new contract. I wonder how a company as big as Disney/ESPN can produce such a horrible service.

If your looking for a help desk I’m going to need some add’l information.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The picture and production quality are pretty bad, but I haven't had too much trouble with the stream coming through or anything like the OP states. My biggest issue with the app is the level of difficulty in trying to catch another game on commercials. I can't get switched to regular tv to check another game and re-start the app in a normal commercial window. On my regular TV I can use the "back" button to switch back and forth between two games, and also have all my sports channels on a separate channel list that I can easily sift through to check other games on a commercial break.

Great point. Sorry to go slightly OT but this is a MAJOR issue when it comes to a conference like the PAC 12 trying to pin their hopes on streaming services to save their ass.

Reactions: khardbored

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I still say the worst part is how the Big 12 is positioned on the app.

I bounce in and the ISU game wasn't on the opening (Roku) page. Some rando games and sports, but I had to make an effort to search out the premier mother ******* game on the platform.

What's Yormark's email address?!?
Can’t you tell Roku/ESPN/Hulu what your favorite teams are and it adjusts your opening page? I feel like whenever I open Hulu and go to “Sports” if an Iowa State game is on, it’s the first tile.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Can’t you tell Roku/ESPN/Hulu what your favorite teams are and it adjusts your opening page? I feel like whenever I open Hulu and go to “Sports” if an Iowa State game is on, it’s the first tile.

I haven't been on the Hulu app for quite some time. It used to pull up the Clones

Direct to ESPN doesn't seem to know or isn't talking to my old Hulu.

Either way. Big 12 football should never be down the list and behind some random D-II volleyball game.

I rarely watch TV so my level of effort will be low, but my goddam phone listens to my conversation and pushes ads my way....

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Great point. Sorry to go slightly OT but this is a MAJOR issue when it comes to a conference like the PAC 12 trying to pin their hopes on streaming services to save their ass.

It's the main reason I am adamant against streaming as a major part of a media deal. Your content has to be easy to access and forcing someone out of their normal TV viewing situation and into a separate app makes your content less available and more irrelevant to the non-die-hard fan.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's the main reason I am adamant against streaming as a major part of a media deal. Your content has to be easy to access and forcing someone out of their normal TV viewing situation and into a separate app makes your content less available and more irrelevant to the non-die-hard fan.

Some won't be happy until Growing Pains is preempted on WOI to bring you Cyclone Basketball

Growing Pains will be seen after the 10:00 news tonight

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Here is ESPN's response…which is mystifying.

"Hello, thank you for contacting ESPN Fan support.

I apologize for any inconvenience. The ESPN app does not support casting from a mobile device to the TV. In order to stream ESPN on your TV you will need to have the ESPN app on your TV or on a device such as a Roku, Amazon Firestick or Apple TV that can plug into your TV. If you don't have one of those devices you can also plug a computer or laptop into your TV with an HDMI cord and stream from [ESPN.com](http://espn.com/). "

so…I assume everyone here that has no problem isn’t casting? I find it mystifying because the cast button is part of the app and does actually work until a commercial appears.
Instead of using the cast option from the app, can't you just use the screen share option on your phone?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It’s a travesty of technology and the nerds that run it that YTTV hasn’t come up with a “flashback” feature that works at a single press of a button across platforms (fire, Roku, appletv, etc). TV didn’t get it all wrong.

Now TBF YTTV is working around that by going with the quad screen.

Reactions: DeereClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Currently have YTTV, no ESPN+.

Looking at the pricing though, I could switch to Hulu with ads, Disney + no ads, and ESPN + with ads for $69.95 a month. That seems like a solid price.