Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It seems that the prevailing attitude in moderating posts, and posters, is getting a little tight. I can understand keeping arguments in check, but my understanding of what constitutes personal attacks seems to be at odds with the current state of moderating.

My personal definition of a personal attack is to attack the poster themselves. It seems that offering a contrary view on a given issue is now considered argumentative, and offering a contrary view that is well stated is considered combative. Given this, perhaps I should be offended that I have not been targeted for moderation more frequently?

Not sure this thread will have a long shelf life, but I love posting on CF- when posting on CF is allowed to be a free exchange of ideas, contrary or otherwise.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
We, the moderators, continue to have discussions about what is the "best" way to moderate CycloneFanatic - if such a way exists.

The one thing I do know is - when I look around at other sites (KSU, Mizzou and A&M sites come to mind), I see what I hope CycloneFanatic never becomes.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Agreed. There are how many different opinions on what is acceptable and what isn't. While we have guidlines, like anything in life, there is a lot of gray area and I hope you realize that the mods have only the best intentions in mind. Sometimes, I myself get carried away, but the nice thing is the other mods aren't afraid to let me know if I made some decision that was out of line.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Also, keep in mind that in some cases, you may not see the reasons some actions have been taken, such as the content of a deleted thread or a PM to a mod that is not appropriate or reported by a recipient.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not to make this an endless line of mod defense but I want to let everybody know that I welcome any and all feedback via PM or email. Obviously everything we do is going to have those that like it and those that don't - the key is to try and balance that equally and consistently. We don't always do the perfect thing in hindsight, but we always do what we feel is best for the site as a whole.

I also want to stress that often times there are posts, threads or PM's that members don't see that lead to something being moderated. That's not always the case, but often times it is. I don't know what you are specifically talking about in your post but I'd be more than happy to research the situation if you send me a PM with details.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Also, keep in mind that in some cases, you may not see the reasons some actions have been taken, such as the content of a deleted thread or a PM to a mod that is not appropriate or reported by a recipient.

Exactly.

Good questions...thanks for the post cyclonepride!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
What I find interesting is that if someone posts an opinion contrary to the prevailing "groupthink" he is often said to be "bashing" whatever the topic may be.

If you try to give someone a little good-natured sarcastic ribbing (and you are contrary to the prevailing "groupthink") you are proclaimed to be "personally attacking another poster" or "shaming another poster" and then called a "jerk".

Worse yet, someone that is a part of the prevailing "groupthink" can actually call you a "bigot" and suffer no rebuke from anyone.

Very interesting.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think you have to realize there is a line between bashing and stating a different opinion. This site was created and has existed primarily on the premise of having a place for different opinions. The problem comes when you have an opinion wrapped inside something derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group. The site rules are very clear and very few - freedom of speech and opinion is what I've tried to press for with CF and I think most would agree that for message boards this is as tame and accepting of a place as you'll find.

We have a separate moderator section where we talk about how things are going and research different happenings - it's there that we try to work as a group to make sure we're consistent and fair with everything we do. Obviously we're not always going to make the best decision when you look back on it but overall I'd saw things are going tremendously well. I think the fact that we've continued to grow for two years with new traffic records every week would be a good testament to that. Of course it couldn't continue without the support of all the members and that's why I (and we) welcome any and all feedback.

In short - make sure you re-read things that you think might be taken wrong and moderated. Make sure that you are putting forth an opinion instead of an opinion wrapped inside something less friendly or appropriate.

Thanks,

Jeremy Lind

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I think you have to realize there is a line between bashing and stating a different opinion. This site was created and has existed primarily on the premise of having a place for different opinions. The problem comes when you have an opinion wrapped inside something derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group. The site rules are very clear and very few - freedom of speech and opinion is what I've tried to press for with CF and I think most would agree that for message boards this is as tame and accepting of a place as you'll find.

We have a separate moderator section where we talk about how things are going and research different happenings - it's there that we try to work as a group to make sure we're consistent and fair with everything we do. Obviously we're not always going to make the best decision when you look back on it but overall I'd saw things are going tremendously well. I think the fact that we've continued to grow for two years with new traffic records every week would be a good testament to that. Of course it couldn't continue without the support of all the members and that's why I (and we) welcome any and all feedback.

In short - make sure you re-read things that you think might be taken wrong and moderated. Make sure that you are putting forth an opinion instead of an opinion wrapped inside something less friendly or appropriate.

Thanks,

Jeremy Lind

WOW...I've nevered uttered anything on here that could be termed "derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group". Yet, I have been flat out called a "bigot"...because I don't believe the quality of HS BB in Nebraska is very good...ABSOLUTELY COMICAL!

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I'm not sure I always agree with what is deemed to be inappropriate, but I applaud the fact that the moderators are trying to keep this site from degenerating into your typical message board. I don't think its really all that hard to avoid being "moderated", just think about what you're writing before you hit submit.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
WOW...I've nevered uttered anything on here that could be termed "derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group". Yet, I have been flat out called a "bigot"...because I don't believe the quality of HS BB in Nebraska is very good...ABSOLUTELY COMICAL!

If you have a problem with a post, please report it by clicking the little red box with the X in it. This will ensure the post is reviewed by the moderating team.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
If you have a problem with a post, please report it by clicking the little red box with the X in it. This will ensure the post is reviewed by the moderating team.

Unless it is a mod's post. Then they (the particular mod reported) will know that you reported it and they won't be happy!

Last edited:

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
People take things personally, especially in groups. If you are going to state an opinion that differs, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone in that group to react or take it personally. But if you think it's ridiculous that someone would take your comment personally, why put any stock in their emotional retort? Just let it slide. Otherwise you end up doing nothing different than they do.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Completely untrue. ALL posts are reviewed that are reported.

I didn't say it wouldn't be reviewed. Please re-read my post. I just said that the mod would know that you reported him/her and would not be happy.

See, us member folk don't know when we have been reported unless it is taken to a higher level. If we report a mod, the mod knows that he/she was reported even if it doesn't go to a higher level.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I didn't say it wouldn't be reviewed. Please re-read my post. I just said that the mod would know that you reported him/her and would not be happy.

See, us member folk don't know when we have been reported unless it is taken to a higher level. If we report a mod, the mod knows that he/she was reported even if it doesn't go to a higher level.

If you are worried about that, then PM or email Jeremy.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
If you are worried about that, then PM or email Jeremy.

It was not a shot at the mods. Just a simple fact that if you wish to report a mod, you will need to be careful in how it happens and know what happens. (ie all mods can see reported posts)

Sorry it came out that way, but I did not know about it and was dinged by it. I thought that others might want to know as well.

Thanks!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It does go to a higher level - I read every reported post. You may think that the mods are all best friends hooked at the waist that never leave each other's side and pats each other on the back after each post but the truth is that we hardly know each other off the site and we all volunteer to work for the site, not for each other. It's comments like that which make moderators mad because it gives the impression that they are just friends wasting time on a website when in fact we're all die-hard Cyclones trying to help everybody have a place to share their opinions. Just because you may or may not agree with all the moderator decisions doesn't mean you are correct. You've reported numerous posts and I always personally researched the problem and PM'd you with an explanation. I've tried always watching things very closely to make sure that there is no division between mods and members and I think most would agree that things are usually fair. Obviously those that get moderated are never going to agree with the actions taken but that's the nature of the beast and there's not much I can do about that. If you break the rules, you break the rules. I can only defend somebody when they've been moderated wrongly or unjustly and it's brought to my attention.

If anybody has ANY problems, I've always had an open door policy and always will. Please contact me directly via PM or email if you have problems with something on the site or with a moderator's actions - I will always research and respond to every situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron