The reason Big XII North lacks leverage...

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Population break downs by state

Nebraska 1.8m
Kansas 2.8m
Iowa 3.0m
Colorado 4.9m
Missouri 5.9m
North 18.4m

Oklahoma 3.6m
Texas 24.3m
South 27.9m
Big XII 46.3m

By comparison the Big X
Iowa 3.0m
Minnesota 5.2m
Wisconsin 5.6m
Indiana 6.4m
Michigan 10.0m
Ohio 11.5m
Pennsylvania 12.4m
Illinois 12.9m
Big X 67.0m

If the Big XII is going to attempt to increase the TV sets in their conference then Illinois is the state that makes the most sense from a population and geographic perspective.

Illinois State roughly 20k enrollment and Northern Illinois has an enrollment of 25k. I'm not sure that these schools could make the facility investments necessary to compete in the Big XII, but if the Big XII were to expand beyond 12 teams this is the state that offers the most TV sets in the region.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
You see right there the internal and external problems with the Big 8/12. The states with Big 8 schools were all fairly similar in size. No one could have too much influence. The problem is that the entire Big 8 six-state footprint has a roughly equal population to the state of Texas. The Big 8 needed to expand to get more national exposure, but it lost some internal control to the Texas schools.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Population break downs by state

Nebraska 1.8m
Kansas 2.8m
Iowa 3.0m
Colorado 4.9m
Missouri 5.9m
North 18.4m

Oklahoma 3.6m
Texas 24.3m
South 27.9m
Big XII 46.3m

By comparison the Big X
Iowa 3.0m
Minnesota 5.2m
Wisconsin 5.6m
Indiana 6.4m
Michigan 10.0m
Ohio 11.5m
Pennsylvania 12.4m
Illinois 12.9m
Big X 67.0m

If the Big XII is going to attempt to increase the TV sets in their conference then Illinois is the state that makes the most sense from a population and geographic perspective.

Illinois State roughly 20k enrollment and Northern Illinois has an enrollment of 25k. I'm not sure that these schools could make the facility investments necessary to compete in the Big XII, but if the Big XII were to expand beyond 12 teams this is the state that offers the most TV sets in the region.

I see where you're going, and it's logical, but Illinois St is a FCS school and not even a traditional power at that level. If you're going to go after an FCS school SIU is a much more viable option. As far as Northern Illinois goes, much of Chicago from what I read in the Tribune doesn't even know that NIU exists, much less where it's located (DeKalb, a far west suburb). They might be even less relevant than SIU...

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I see where you're going, and it's logical, but Illinois St is a FCS school and not even a traditional power at that level. If you're going to go after an FCS school SIU is a much more viable option. As far as Northern Illinois goes, much of Chicago from what I read in the Tribune doesn't even know that NIU exists, much less where it's located (DeKalb, a far west suburb). They might be even less relevant than SIU...

This is a true statement about NIU, I live 20 minutes away from there and no one even mentions them and cares about them. The only time I heard people talk about NIU was when people were talking about college choices, but that was it. Also, if people don't care about Northwestern in Chicago, then why would they care about NIU?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

I forgot about SIU. If the Big XII wants to increase it's population footprint they most likely will have to think outside the box and for the long term potential.

If any of these Illinois schools were to be added to the Big XII they would gain instant credibility and recognition, but they would also have to make a significant investment to become a member. Whether any of these schools could do that is questionable.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
You see right there the internal and external problems with the Big 8/12. The states with Big 8 schools were all fairly similar in size. No one could have too much influence. The problem is that the entire Big 8 six-state footprint has a roughly equal population to the state of Texas. The Big 8 needed to expand to get more national exposure, but it lost some internal control to the Texas schools.

Lost some internal control??? I'd say that the old big 8 gave the texas schools complete autonomy over the north!!!!

Funny thing is that if you ask an average texan where isu is located ...none of them have ever heard of Ames IA!!!!!

I hope to hell that good old Jamie has a plan b for when mizzou leaves for greener pastures and leaves isu in a bind!!!!!

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think looking at Illinois is out of the question for two reasons. First it is a pro sports market, and second the college market is tied up by the big 10 already.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Add the fact that over half of the population in Iowa is Hawk fans, and most of Colorado follows the Broncos/Nuggets/Rockies instead of the Buffs and the numbers get even worse.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Certainly, population "market share" has something to do with it but do not discount the relative poor on the field/court performance of the North relative to the South in the Big 12.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think looking at Illinois is out of the question for two reasons. First it is a pro sports market, and second the college market is tied up by the big 10 already.

It's not so much that the Chicago is a pro-sports town - Dallas and Denver are both pro-sports towns and we have no problems claiming them. The problem is that Chicago is such a strong Big 10 stronghold, probably even stronger than Kansas City is/was for the Big 12. You can't go a block without running into a Big 10 team bar, and every school is represented. Adding NIU would add about as much of the Chicago market as adding Rutgers would add the New York City market to the Big 10 - much less than anyone wants to admit.