The Shopping Cart Test

Finally disposition of a user's shopping cart highlights a portion of their character?

• Yes

Votes: 139 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
The test (or theory, if you will) has been discussed on Reddit and Twitter. On Reddit, a user laid out a very detailed description of the theory that essentially claims “the shopping cart is what determines whether a person is a good or bad member of society.” Objectively, the correct action to take is to put the shopping cart where it’s supposed to go. It’s not illegal to abandon the cart, though, so you can do that without consequence.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I make sure to put the cart in the return area, sometimes I'll make sure its inserted in to the next one, sometimes I don't.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I put my shopping cart away. Definitely feel that it is a reflection of character for those who are too lazy or don't care to walk it to the cart corrals or store when finished as I'm sure they'd be the same person would be be pissed if a stray cart found it's way to their car and put a nice dent in it while they were in the store shopping.

Cart Narcs is a funny YouTube channel. Some people get really crazy when confronted about what they just did

Reactions: aauummm

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
I've been known to collect a 'wild' cart or two and put them back in the Ol' Cart Corral from time to time as I return mine.

BUT I don't think it's fair to make such a severe judgement of one's character based solely on their ability (or lack thereof) to return a cart. This constant boiling-down and trivial objectification of an individual's entire character based on face value is one of the less-heartening aspects of our society IMO.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Not only do I always put my shopping cart in the cart return, I compress all the carts together to make more room for the next few people.

This. I will also put away the carts other people left out of the cart corral if they are anywhere near me. It absolutely annoys the **** out of me.

People who shove items on a random shelf after deciding they don’t want it instead of where it’s supposed to go are just as bad.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The difference in shoppers who put the carts away in Iowa is sharply contrasted with what I observe when I'm spending my 6 months in Florida. I assume it's not the Florida natives but more the snow-birds from the Northeast.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I always put my cart in an appropriate location. I do NOT clean up other peoples cart messes.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I like to get a good run going on it and launch it like 15-20 feet away to see if I can aim it into the slot right

I do that too. If I miss badly I'll track it down and put it away properly, but if it's close it's good enough.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron