"The Sports Fanatics" about to debut on 1460 KXnO --- today's lineup

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
For those who listened, thank you very much for the support. For those who didn't, I hope you give us a chance at some point in time.

As far as our show goes, neither Ross nor I are going to "pander" to anybody. We are going to be ourselves. Real life human beings who talk about sports primarily and other "guy" things too. I will never make a statement just to get a reaction out of you or Iowa's fan base.

If you're really going to question the Cyclone in me, well, I don't really even have anything to say about that. I've dedicated my professional life to this website. When the radio opportunity came up, I said the only way I'd do it is if I could continue to publish Cyclone Fanatic. It's my passion.

And I'm not going to stoop to the level where I am a **** to Iowa just because I am the Iowa State guy. Does anybody win in that situation? Do you really want the "Iowa State guy" being "that guy?" I want to stay above the fray.

Having said all of that, I am a legitimate member of the media. I show up at press conferences. I ask questions. I run sources. I do the dirty work too, and I'm proud of that. So if us covering the big story first yesterday, which happen to revolve around Iowa (a story that garnered national media attention BTW), bothered somebody, well, there isn't much I can do about that.

Stop pandering Chris.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Just listened to the first hour! It was well done! You got a listener in Southwest Iowa!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
For those who listened, thank you very much for the support. For those who didn't, I hope you give us a chance at some point in time.

As far as our show goes, neither Ross nor I are going to "pander" to anybody. We are going to be ourselves. Real life human beings who talk about sports primarily and other "guy" things too. I will never make a statement just to get a reaction out of you or Iowa's fan base.

If you're really going to question the Cyclone in me, well, I don't really even have anything to say about that. I've dedicated my professional life to this website. When the radio opportunity came up, I said the only way I'd do it is if I could continue to publish Cyclone Fanatic. It's my passion.

And I'm not going to stoop to the level where I am a **** to Iowa just because I am the Iowa State guy. Does anybody win in that situation? Do you really want the "Iowa State guy" being "that guy?" I want to stay above the fray.

Having said all of that, I am a legitimate member of the media. I show up at press conferences. I ask questions. I run sources. I do the dirty work too, and I'm proud of that. So if us covering the big story first yesterday, which happen to revolve around Iowa (a story that garnered national media attention BTW), bothered somebody, well, there isn't much I can do about that.

This x100.

Some people detest when a hawk homer is on the air and yet they want you to be just that, a full on cyclone homer. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Great job on the first show, it was entertaining and I think the pairing of you two will only continue to get better.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Yeah…for whatever reason, some people are only interested in existing in their own little echo chambers. i.e….exposing themselves only to people that will regurgitate back to them the exact same beliefs/thoughts/feelings/viewpoints they personally hold. They want no part of being challenged to look at things differently, but only want their own worldview (for lack of better term) repeated back to them.

Sounds like very boring radio to me.

Nice going so far Chris W! Look forward to tuning in regularly.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I can't believe it. We finally have an actual Cyclone voice on the radio and people are still ********. Do you want to go back to Matty P? Because I really do not. :eek:

I think it was darn fine radio, especially for being their first episode ever. :yes:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah…for whatever reason, some people are only interested in existing in their own little echo chambers. i.e….exposing themselves only to people that will regurgitate back to them the exact same beliefs/thoughts/feelings/viewpoints they personally hold. They want no part of being challenged to look at things differently, but only want their own worldview (for lack of better term) repeated back to them.

Sounds like very boring radio to me.

Nice going so far Chris W! Look forward to tuning in regularly.

I thought the show was really good. It confirmed my belief that I never really disliked Ross, just Travis.

I'll add though that for me sports are fun. Following sports is a hobby. So I don't have a lot of interest in listening to sports radio that doesn't interest me. I'm not trying to expand my horizons for something like sports. I'm not sure why that is surprising. That's why I don't listen to sports radio when it is going to be a giant ***** fest about Iowa State (even though I understand that sometimes it has to be) and why I don't listen to positive Iowa stuff either. Just not worth my time.

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
It took a week. The producer,host and guest, all Iowa fans and and an hour of loser hawkeye basketball. Enjoy.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

I know this is an old thread...but thought I'd bump and share this has been a great show to listen to the past year. Enjoy the balance of time for both schools and really just general college (and pro) sports talk.

I will say (and I'd say this about other sports shows) sometimes the "guys will be guys" stuff gets old. I know, flame me for this on here, but a bit ago in discussing politics, Katy Perry came up and CW made a reference to her "fun bags." I know that this type of talk happens and maybe there is some pandering to "guys drink beer and oogle at women" type of thing, but I wouldn't want someone saying this about my daughter...and I'm guessing CW wouldn't want that someday with his.

And I say this not knowing CW at all...and I greatly appreciate his level headedness, hard work, and unique spot he is in (sometimes he's a "hack blogger", sometimes a radio host, sometimes calls women's bball games, sometimes a journalist) and I LOVE that he and Cyclone Fanatic do show up as media and report as such....but comments like that on the radio can really change that perspective.

My feedback and $1 may not get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds, but just something that today was kind of a "really?" moment.

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Can we ask the important question here? This is a three hour show, why are only 2 of the hours posted in the podcast?

Or am I the only one with this issue?

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
I know this is an old thread...but thought I'd bump and share this has been a great show to listen to the past year. Enjoy the balance of time for both schools and really just general college (and pro) sports talk.

I will say (and I'd say this about other sports shows) sometimes the "guys will be guys" stuff gets old. I know, flame me for this on here, but a bit ago in discussing politics, Katy Perry came up and CW made a reference to her "fun bags." I know that this type of talk happens and maybe there is some pandering to "guys drink beer and oogle at women" type of thing, but I wouldn't want someone saying this about my daughter...and I'm guessing CW wouldn't want that someday with his.

And I say this not knowing CW at all...and I greatly appreciate his level headedness, hard work, and unique spot he is in (sometimes he's a "hack blogger", sometimes a radio host, sometimes calls women's bball games, sometimes a journalist) and I LOVE that he and Cyclone Fanatic do show up as media and report as such....but comments like that on the radio can really change that perspective.

My feedback and $1 may not get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds, but just something that today was kind of a "really?" moment.
#SoundTheSirens

tumblr_nusp5jmZkZ1r4o9xho1_r1_500.jpg

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Meh, if you ever objectified a woman you cant throw stones. And yes I have 2 daughters, so its bound to happen. In my case though it should at least be 12 years.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Meh, if you ever objectified a woman you cant throw stones. And yes I have 2 daughters, so its bound to happen. In my case though it should at least be 12 years.

Hoping I'm not coming off as throwing stones....and I too have objectified women....and laughed at it when.others have...and I'm not proud of that and have appreciated when folks called me on it.

It was just a "come on man, you're better than this" thought today. And I guess I would expect the person who gets paid to call womans bball games would be a bit more thoughtful.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Hoping I'm not coming off as throwing stones....and I too have objectified women....and laughed at it when.others have...and I'm not proud of that and have appreciated when folks called me on it.

It was just a "come on man, you're better than this" thought today. And I guess I would expect the person who gets paid to call womans bball games would be a bit more thoughtful.

You have the right to take offense from whatever you want but I also have the right to say you're being too sensitive and selective. Your own avatar has a picture and caption that objectifies men. I guess I don't see how being overly sensitive about these things helps anybody.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I see your point but it was a harmless comment. No more no less in my mind.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

I see your point but it was a harmless comment. No more no less in my mind.

Fair enough. Love the work of CW and the community he's helped create/foster.