THE SUNDAY AFTER: Texas

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
To run that pace you have to have a QB.
During the game your QB has to have timing and if your QB is injured or can not establish timing you lose.
I can list here probably about 50 games that a team who runs the spread offense looked horrible in one game because of QB play.
That team cannot run the ball to win because their run game is determined by their QB play.
Last one maybe the most meaningful to ISU because it was the last game your university played
You need a QB in every style of offense. I can list 50 games where the team runs a pro set and looked horrible because of QB play. This is just silly.

Run first, pass first, whatever you do, you need the personnel to execute. You also need a game plan to execute.

iSu should have hit Texas on the edges. In both the run game and the passing game. Quick passes to negate the blitz, WR screens and running off tackle. iSu and Montgomery are very good running the ball on the edges. Not so much the middle of the field.

When Manning did work the edges, Park was comfortable and on target. But instead of using it to set up the run,which was successful when he did, he got greedy and tried to go vertical. Not a strength of iSu in either pass blocking or WR strength. And defintiely not a strength on Thursday with Texas' rush.

I have no doubt that Campbell wants to become a run first spread option team. He has recruited road graders and bigger backs to do it but they are still young. The QBS he has recruited are athletes as well as QBs. Right now the only way iSu can run is on the edges. Simply can't get the push. Why they abandoned it Thursday is why everyone is annoyed.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: khardbored

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Thank goodness we have a Longhorn fan here to Texasplain football to the Midwestern troglodytes.
Don't take offense, assuming you are from Texas, but I get so sick of Texans arrogance when it comes to football. Californialonghorn being a prime example. They don'teven realize it.

Last edited:

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I can live with a player having a bad game. They're kids learning the game.
What is completely inexcusable however is a coach having a horrible game plan and then not adjusting to what the other team is doing. If that continues, it's time to find a new offensive coordinator who understands the game better and can be competent on game day calling it.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I can live with a player having a bad game. They're kids learning the game.
What is completely inexcusable however is a coach having a horrible game plan and then not adjusting to what the other team is doing. If that continues, it's time to find a new offensive coordinator who understands the game better and can be competent on game day calling it.
Sometimes coaches get beat by other coaches. Manning has done really well making adjustments in previous games. To ignore that simply isn't fair. Not sure what he was thinking against Texas.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
You're talking tactics with the wrong girl. I'm just curious if you're going to be a long-time resident or not. We've got lots of Hawkeyes. A couple KSU fans, a couple of Baylor guys, and I think one Boomer too. I can't name any Longhorns, so I think you'd be the first!

I am sure ISU already understands the position the BIG XII is currently in. This situation has existed ever since the Supreme Court said that the universities and conferences control the media rights instead of the NCAA. Because of the sparse population and markets of the SWC/Big 8 and now the BIG XII UT has had to find others ways to guarantee a revenue equal to or higher than the other premier college athletic departments.

With this being said one of the ways for the Big XII to continue past 2025 is for universities like KU, ISU and WVU to increase their markets or in state populations. I do not think a few million people will decide to move to Kansas or Iowa in the next few years and even with that number this conference will still be behind in market size.
To increase markets could be to increase the reach of your football or basketball programs. Football more so. With this being said the success ISU has can help UT just like the success UT can have will keep the LHN alive and therefore keep the BIG XII alive.

Only way else is if the ACC is picked apart with the Carolina or Virgina schools leaving for the SEC of BIG. This looks less likely every month.

Last edited:

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
What an awful weekend in sports. It started with this game and I lost $100 to my friends at the bar. I'm still recovering from getting krunk this whole weekend, reminiscent of my college days. This is my first time I've said this since he got hired, but that Texas game was the first time I have been disappointed in Campbell. Bumping into his guy on the sideline then punting from the 32. I'm counting on this as just one of your bad weeks because I think you are much better than this.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
You need a QB in every style of offense. I can list 50 games where the team runs a pro set and looked horrible because of QB play. This is just silly.

Run first, pass first, whatever you do, you need the personnel to execute. You also need a game plan to execute.

iSu should have hit Texas on the edges. In both the run game and the passing game. Quick passes to negate the blitz, WR screens and running off tackle. iSu and Montgomery are very good running the ball on the edges. Not so much the middle of the field.

When Manning did work the edges, Park was comfortable and on target. But instead of using it to set up the run,which was successful when he did, he got greedy and tried to go vertical. Not a strength of iSu in either pass blocking or WR strength. And defintiely not a strength on Thursday with Texas' rush.

I have no doubt that Campbell wants to become a run first spread option team. He has recruited road graders and bigger backs to do it but they are still young. The QBS he has recruited are athletes as well as QBs. Right now the only way iSu can run is on the edges. Simply can't get the push. Why they abandoned it Thursday is why everyone is annoyed.

The difference is that you can get by with horrible QB play if you can move the ball between the tackles or if you have a QB that can get outside of the pocket if the WR are stretching the defense by forcing 7 to 8 into coverage.
These runs you see in a typical ISU game are because the safeties and the outside linebackers especially in a 3-4 drop back into coverage to keep the timing passing game neutralized. When you then have the OLB and S's going back you have lanes to run the ball on the outside. Like I mentioned before your running game is determined by your passing game.
In previous games those runs worked not because of the play itself but more so because of the timing of the play. You have a QB who hits 3 or 4 passes in a row you keep the S's and OLB's back into coverage.

Problem for ISU was that UT's Safties and OLB's could cover larger amounts of the field than let's say Iowa.
Iowa has a great defensive scheme but they lack the NFL talent like what you saw from UT.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
It is very much like the Oregon Ducks who when at their best under Chip Kelly would run for 250 yards a game
When they played teams that could neutralize their quick passing attack those runs disappeared.
Auburn, LSU, Ohio State

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
Don't take offense, assuming you are from Texas, but I get so sick of Texans arrogance when it comes to football. Californialonghorn being a prime example. They don'teven realize it.

I do not think Texans are arrogant about their football. Try associating with SEC universities.

I was born and raised in the Texas Panhandle. Where the West and Midwest intersect with Texas. I could have driven to Kansas faster than I could have to Amarillo.

I was lucky enough to be provided by the state of Texas a top class education. Football and athletics as a whole are just the icing on the top to what the University of Texas provides.

Most people hate things because of what they hear or what they want to believe. I do not think their is a school more hated than Texas on college football messsage boards. The funny thing is most of the venom is because of lies and half truths.

I do not look down on the state Iowa or ISU football. I have more respect for ISU than I do KU or UNL because I have found out many Nebraska football fans are also KU basketball fans. Maybe the reason why KU football or UNL basketball always is horrible.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I do not think Texans are arrogant about their football. Try associating with SEC universities.

I was born and raised in the Texas Panhandle. Where the West and Midwest intersect with Texas. I could have driven to Kansas faster than I could have to Amarillo.

I was lucky enough to be provided by the state of Texas a top class education. Football and athletics as a whole are just the icing on the top to what the University of Texas provides.

Most people hate things because of what they hear or what they want to believe. I do not think their is a school more hated than Texas on college football messsage boards. The funny thing is most of the venom is because of lies and half truths.

I do not look down on the state Iowa or ISU football. I have more respect for ISU than I do KU or UNL because I have found out many Nebraska football fans are also KU basketball fans. Maybe the reason why KU football or UNL basketball always is horrible.
There is a Texas arrogance and yes, I have friends in SEC country. Not much difference. This...I am from the South you don't know football attitude.

Kinda like you saying the area started in Texas.

I actually have no issue with Texas the team. I defend them whenever there is realignment chatter blaming them.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
There is a Texas arrogance and yes, I have friends in SEC country. Not much difference. This...I am from the South you don't know football attitude.

Kinda like you saying the area started in Texas.

I actually have no issue with Texas the team. I defend them whenever there is realignment chatter blaming them.

Texas is the Southwest not the South.
We have the correct number of chromosomes in Texas unlike let's say Alabama.

Kidding aside conversation with SEC fans always turns into pissing contest ever with alumni. UT t shirt fans may be similar in some regards but UT alumni stopped dragging their knuckles on the ground once they became alumni.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron