The Terror

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Been meaning to hop on board this new AMC show. The story that the show is based on is a very interesting/somewhat insane one, and I really like Ciarán Hinds (Mance Raydar in GoT or Gaius Julius Ceasar in Rome).

Has anyone caught the first few episodes? Thoughts, comments, concerns?? I have a bunch of shows I am keeping up with currently and was not sure if it was worth the investment at this point.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Been meaning to hop on board this new AMC show. The story that the show is based on is a very interesting/somewhat insane one, and I really like Ciarán Hinds (Mance Raydar in GoT or Gaius Julius Ceasar in Rome).

Has anyone caught the first few episodes? Thoughts, comments, concerns?? I have a bunch of shows I am keeping up with currently and was not sure if it was worth the investment at this point.

I DVR'ed it and have watched every episode so far (all whopping three of them).

It's very, very good, well-done, well-produced (you can tell AMC threw a lot of money into it) and yes, pretty damn scary as well.

I enjoyed the first two episodes so much that I went ahead and got the book it's based on from my local library (big book, 700+ pages I believe). I've been busy with this and that, so I haven't had a whole lot of time to really advance far into the book, but so far I've really enjoyed that as well.

Seems like it's primary an English/Irish cast (no surprise there. That's how it should be based on the real events). Interesting note; while it does have Ciarin Hinds (great actor) who is, as mentioned above, a GoT alumni, it also has another actor also from GoT, Tobias Menzies, who plays Catelyn Stark's brother.

So far it's riveting. Unless it has a clear "jump the shark" moment, I will definitely watch it to the end.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Excellent but this is the first show that I've actually had to turn on the captioning to understand what they are saying.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Started this and am all caught up. Really liked it, and watching it on the AMC app without commercials made the episodes fly by. I enjoy the type of slow rolling character development that this show has set up so far, you know a decent amount about the main characters, but little things pop up here and there in flashbacks that connect some dots.

One person I can't figure out is Mr. Hickey. I understand that Francis sees a lot of himself in Hickey, and they're both Irish, but I can't figure out what his motivation or end game is. Every time I think I know where he's going he does something different. I get he is a bit cocky about where he thinks he stands on the ship, but other than that he is the real wildcard.

Thought I was gonna be more put off by the "SyFy" creature, or whatever the thing is for that matter, but it has really kept me intrigued thus far.

The Silent woman storyline is another nice set up, what is her purpose, and obviously she has some connection with this thing.

I think the creature is a "god" in Eskimo lore and he is keeping her safe because she abides by the "rules to it" for lack of a better phrase. And I think he is killing the crew because it disrespected the eskimo man's burial process and shot him in cold blood.[spoiler/]

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Started this and am all caught up. Really liked it, and watching it on the AMC app without commercials made the episodes fly by. I enjoy the type of slow rolling character development that this show has set up so far, you know a decent amount about the main characters, but little things pop up here and there in flashbacks that connect some dots.

One person I can't figure out is Mr. Hickey. I understand that Francis sees a lot of himself in Hickey, and they're both Irish, but I can't figure out what his motivation or end game is. Every time I think I know where he's going he does something different. I get he is a bit cocky about where he thinks he stands on the ship, but other than that he is the real wildcard.

Thought I was gonna be more put off by the "SyFy" creature, or whatever the thing is for that matter, but it has really kept me intrigued thus far.

The Silent woman storyline is another nice set up, what is her purpose, and obviously she has some connection with this thing.
My take is that it's just a polar bear but these guys have let their fear start making it more than it is.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
My take is that it's just a polar bear but these guys have let their fear start making it more than it is.

I don't think a Polar bear can slice 2 men in half and stand one mans torso on another mans legs upright haha. But that would be an interesting twist if it was all of them just getting cabin fever and going crazy fictionalizing events and everyone convinces each other the fear is warranted.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The actual story is scary enough without getting supernatural.

Does it actually delve in to the realm of the supernatural or is it just a bunch of people losing their minds in extreme conditions? I guess that can't be answered without spoilers, but I would be dissapointed if it got too far out there if it's based on a true story.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Does it actually delve in to the realm of the supernatural or is it just a bunch of people losing their minds in extreme conditions? I guess that can't be answered without spoilers, but I would be dissapointed if it got too far out there if it's based on a true story.
At this point in the show (4 episodes in of 10) you aren't exactly sure, and they aren't really either. They have their guesses and suspicions, but nobody is completely sure. And then throw in the cold and extreme conditions that could cause people to go mad, makes for an interesting/suspenseful storyline on "what could it be".

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I will try to avoid spoilers, but click if you want to...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(novel)

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
SEMI-SPOILERS (trying to keep it spoil free)
Just got caught up on this weeks episode, and it came out of nowhere for me! The carnival scene with the doctor is outrageous, and iwas not seeing that coming (although I did always despise the doc whenever he was in scene)

Anyone that is caught up have any theories behind what happened? I'm assuming it is supposed to be perceived as "the voice" that he was discussing with the crewman earlier in the episode (that the crew member mentioned he was hearing and worried about). But I also am of the thinking that he made the decision because he figured they were a lost cause. Only reason I think that is because it purposely showed that he was looking at/drawing a picture of his daughter.

Another thought I had was he doesn't have a daughter and that picture he was drawing was of the person speaking dark things to him.

Not to mention the whole Lady Silence storyline that is now going to be a big part of the story, imo, was just kinda thrown in among everything.

Curious to hear your guys' thoughts, as I have been really intrigued by where this could possibly go. (other than the obvious finality, which I doubt happens due to it being a TV show haha)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron