The three Cyclone basketball players who made you the fan you are today

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Fizer, Tinsley, and Nurse.

Honorable mention for Horton, but I started watching the season before he came.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
any mention of Bankhead gets a thumbs up from me. Dude did all the dirty work - loved him has a player. My buddies and I were students then and would bring a 'All Bankhead All the Time" sign to games.
That's awesome! I do think sometimes among the "all time greats" we sometimes forget a lot of guys like him, Dustin Hogue, etc. Need one of those guys on the team.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Matt Thomas, Niang, and Monte, with honorable mention to Nader.

My first season as a Cyclone fan was my freshman year in 2015-2016 with the first game I watched being the Iowa game — the come from behind down 20 at half to win on Monte’s floater. My first game at Hilton was the January 2016 Kansas game. Camped out for 3 days with friends and people who became my best friends and witnessed the 13(?) point win with the Thomas steal and dunk at the end sealing it.

That team was so fun to watch because when they were on they could light it up. I think that season was also where the “uhhh Nader!” clip came from.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Craig Brackins was my first true Cyclone basketball love, George’s Niang proved we can be elite, Tyrus McGee because I loved watching him hit 24 fade aways.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Definitely Clark! Stinson and Blalock. Meh.. Rashon saw them bail on us and he was like, “Nah, I’m good here”. And still is as loyal and true to this day!
Stinson and Blalock were ballers too. Reason I picked all 3 was those were the teams where my cyclone fandom took off as a 12-13 year old. Could have put Jake Sullivan, Jackson Vroman, Jared Homan in there as well.

1961Cylones

Aug 18, 2021
Who are the three Cyclone basketball players who most contributed to your love of Hilton and Cyclone basketball? It doesn't have to be the greatest player you ever saw play or a huge statistical performer. Who did you watch play that made you identify as a Cyclone fan from the start, or turned you into the fan you are today?

For me coming of age as a sports fan, it was Barry Stevens, Jeff Grayer, and Justus Thigpen. I spent so many hours in the driveway pretending to be one of them. I saw Jeff Grayer in an airport once a few years ago and was too star struck to go talk to him. Justus was a junior the year I arrived at ISU, and put up some legendary performances that year including the famous floor shaker against OSU and a buzzer beater against KU. Barry was pure talent, so damn smooth. All were Flint guys Johnny got to come to Ames.

Who were yours?
Jeff Hornacek, Jeff Grayer, and Georges Niang.