Theoretical New Big 12

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There is no doubt in my mind that it would be BCS conference. Kansas, Kansas St, Cincinnati, TCU, BYU, Utah, and Boise St have all been to a BCS game before. Even if they BCS no longer exists, this is likely a best case senario for TCU, BYU, Utah, and Boise. They are not going to get into the Pac 10 or any other super conference.

I see the Pac10, Big10, ACC and SEC will be the 4 - 16 team super conferences. That will be the new BCS.

But you have to remember who it is that decides who gets to be a BCS conference or not - the conferences. And the conferences are the school presidents. And if the whole idea of the superconference model is to keep all the money to themselves, why would they invite another conference to the party, even if it is worthy of BCS status?

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
But you have to remember who it is that decides who gets to be a BCS conference or not - the conferences. And the conferences are the school presidents. And if the whole idea of the superconference model is to keep all the money to themselves, why would they invite another conference to the party, even if it is worthy of BCS status?

Who from the ACC is worthy of being included in the BCS? If we are talking about super conferences then you have to assume the SEC is going to take some ACC schools. That would be Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Florida St. Plus there is talk of the Big 10 possible taking Maryland. That leaves Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Clemson, Boston College, Wake, and Virginia. Only BC and Wake (maybe Clemson?) have been to BCS games before. Why do you think the ACC is going to be one of the super-conferences?

cybear52

Dec 5, 2008
Ames
Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Baylor/Colorado
Mizzou
Louisville
West Virginia
Cincinnati
TCU
Memphis
Houston
Pitt?
This would be ideal but may not happen we could end up with basically the same big 12 minus nebraska adding TCU sending Oklahoma north and having the championship game between OU and UT every year

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Who from the ACC is worthy of being included in the BCS? If we are talking about super conferences then you have to assume the SEC is going to take some ACC schools. That would be Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Florida St. Plus there is talk of the Big 10 possible taking Maryland. That leaves Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Clemson, Boston College, Wake, and Virginia. Only BC and Wake (maybe Clemson?) have been to BCS games before. Why do you think the ACC is going to be one of the super-conferences?

Because the ACC retains enough schools (8 of them by my count) to prevent the dissolution of the conference and/or having their BCS status stripped (going by what has been posted around here over the last 12 hours, Delaware law requires only a simple majority to dissolve a corporation, which would be 6, and the BCS requires that a conference have at least 6 member institutions that have had BCS status for at least 3 years). Also, by my count, with 8 schools, all the ACC has to do is absorb the 6 or 7 remaining Big East schools and pluck 1 or 2 CUSA schools (East Carolina would be an obvious choice) and they not only end up with superconference status, but one with a LOT of TV sets and a LOT of money.

That's where the ACC differs from the Big 12 - 4 or 5 schools aren't going to prevent the dissolution of the conference, so that's gone. I honestly believe that the entirety of the Big East will be split and absorbed among the Big 10 and ACC, so there aren't going to be any BCS schools to combine with to maintain BCS status.

Why do you think everyone keeps saying that ISU is absolutely screwed in this? It's actually an understatement...