There are NO Star Wars movies in production right now

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Both the prequel and sequels were too tied into making them fun for kids. Star Wars isn't for young kids.

They've always been for kids. Lucas himself said so.

The trick with these things is making a story that is great for kids and adults. That is extremely difficult and we don't see it that often. It's also why Speilberg is probably our greatest American director, he's made a ton of movies like that.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Rogue One is best case scenario “adult” Star Wars movie unless there was one of same quality that is in a future of saga. How good it is with few known characters but a known world is great.

Mando is best case scenario all ages Star Wars. Would’ve been equally good as a movie or 2-3 part movie.

It’s the creative team, not the format. Working in licensed toys I sometimes get to see the early creative process. The recent one that impressed me most was into the spiderverse and somewhere on this board you can find people mocking my accurate prediction that it would win an Oscar. It was soooooooo obvious just looking at art and storyboards that not only did they totally get what makes Spider-Man great, but they were all in on doing something new and creative compared to not just superhero movies but compared to animated movies. If they had done a streaming series it would have worked out just as well as the film(s).

Not going to throw other movies under the bus but other times I see that process and think it’s just a soulless endeavor of corporate bean counters.

I 100% was one of those guys making fun of you. I was 100% wrong, I think Spider-Verse is easily in the top 10 movies of the 2010s for me.

That said, I was basically expecting Sony to screw it up. I think what Sony is doing with their live action Spider Man universe stuff to be appalling and I expected more of the same.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I 100% was one of those guys making fun of you. I was 100% wrong, I think Spider-Verse is easily in the top 10 movies of the 2010s for me.

That said, I was basically expecting Sony to screw it up. I think what Sony is doing with their live action Spider Man universe stuff to be appalling and I expected more of the same.

Yeah my last paragraph about soulless corporate bean counters, it’s too frequent.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Eh, the new movies were decent if you weren’t a fanboy hoping to see something specific that you built up in your mind, or someone expecting the world from them. Helluva lot better than the prequels at least. I think overall I liked the two stand-alone the best.

It probably makes sense to give the movies a rest until they figure out where to go next. Be nice to see something not centered around Tattoine or Skywalkers or Palpatine.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
They totally fumbled it with VII, VIII and IX especially VIII.

Rogue One was refreshing and Solo was good imho although Solo got an unfairly bad rap - I think a lot of people were just tired of it. VIII had so much stupid hype from the "critics" attending the premiere/early screening and it has an extremely dumb storyline.

The spin-offs on Disney+ were refreshing. I like them a lot.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
They need to create a Thrawn Saga that mirrors Anthony Zahn's books. So much more interesting and better story than the skywalker saga.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I bunked with Brian Ferentz in section 8 housing... he was on top.

Lifelong Star Wars fan but after The Force Awakens I stopped following and started losing interest, they were just doing too much with 'Solo' and 'Rogue One' that seemed like offshoots and not really part of the anthology, Couldn't keep track of it all.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I’ll never understand Disney’s reluctance to make an Old Republic trilogy considering they have a mountain of stories to pull from and some real interesting characters to base it on. Then again, it feels like Disney has been clueless to what the fanbase want to see ever since they purchased Lucasfilm.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’ll never understand Disney’s reluctance to make an Old Republic trilogy considering they have a mountain of stories to pull from and some real interesting characters to base it on. Then again, it feels like Disney has been clueless to what the fanbase want to see ever since they purchased Lucasfilm.

They seem to be really, really locked in on having some connectivity to the OT. I agree with you, I've long wanted them to just make another story.

Even the High Republic stuff I think will have younger Yoda in it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I bunked with Brian Ferentz in section 8 housing... he was on top.

Lifelong Star Wars fan but after The Force Awakens I stopped following and started losing interest, they were just doing too much with 'Solo' and 'Rogue One' that seemed like offshoots and not really part of the anthology, Couldn't keep track of it all.
I gotta ask… you were on board with it through the prequels but dropped off due to the Force Awakens, Rogue One and Solo? Those are all objectively better movies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I liked The Force Awakens enough since it went back to feeling and looking more like a Star Wars movie.

Solo was entertaining...otherwise when they're on TV rotation, I don't remember a lot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Now if only you could retroactively cancel all the ones made after 1983 we’d be in business.

I'm not quite there but not going in and adding CGI to the older films is on my list of things that were not needed in any way.

It was the 70s/80s. Why change that?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Thanks Solo.

The problem with Solo is that it had a lot of drama and bad publicity during production that got out and skewed peoples opinion before actually seeing the movie. Overall, I don't think it was a bad movie.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The problem with Solo is that it had a lot of drama and bad publicity during production that got out and skewed peoples opinion before actually seeing the movie. Overall, I don't think it was a bad movie.
I’d say that’s less of a problem with the movies, and more an issue with those fans. Who the hell makes up their opinion about a movie based on rumors during production rather than the actual film?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I’d say that’s less of a problem with the movies, and more an issue with those fans. Who the hell makes up their opinion about a movie based on rumors during production rather than the actual film?
Star Wars "fans". A lot of the loudest critics are people who just love to hate on Star Wars because it's popular and never really liked it all that much to begin with. We have some on this board.

Last edited: