They wanted us to move down

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I realized this morning that at least some of the media wanted Iowa State to move down a level. They spent weeks telling us that we would be irrelevent in this state if we moved to a lower-level conference.

I tuned in for a few minutes to Jon and Steve's show. And Steve was spouting off about how when we were at 4 or 5 wins a year, we would need to ask if we would rather be in Conference USA. Then I turned that **** off.

I am not sure why we are only going to win 4 games a year. Sure we play Texas and Oklahoma each year, but we also play Baylor each year. I don't think it will be that much harder to get to a bowl game now. A little bit harder, but not a lot.

And itsn't funny that last week when we were headed (in their opinion) to conference USA, Iowa wanted to drop our football game, but now that we are in the Big 12 and they think they can keep us out of a bowl game, theyare all for it.

Reactions: The Mook

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I realized this morning that at least some of the media wanted Iowa State to move down a level. They spent weeks telling us that we would be irrelevent in this state if we moved to a lower-level conference.

I tuned in for a few minutes to Jon and Steve's show. And Steve was spouting off about how when we were at 4 or 5 wins a year, we would need to ask if we would rather be in Conference USA. Then I turned that **** off.

I am not sure why we are only going to win 4 games a year. Sure we play Texas and Oklahoma each year, but we also play Baylor each year. I don't think it will be that much harder to get to a bowl game now. A little bit harder, but not a lot.

And itsn't funny that last week when we were headed (in their opinion) to conference USA, Iowa wanted to drop our football game, but now that we are in the Big 12 and they think they can keep us out of a bowl game, theyare all for it.

We will play the following teams every year:

Texas
Oklahoma
OSU
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Probably continue for some time to play Iowa also.

Take off your blinders and look at our history agaisnt these teams.

We did not do ourselves any favors with this deal.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I called in this morning. I know this isn’t an absolutely great situation, because the rich will be getting richer and the poor will be getting less poor. Any situation that isn’t full revenue sharing will not be great for ISU because we don’t bring a whole lot to the table. But any situation other than this blows up the athletic department to a point I don’t think most people understand. I welcome the challenge. I think we can make bowl games in this league. I expect to be a better football program than KSU, KU, and BU and I think we can compete with the other schools. I can’t wait to play a full round robin. I think it’s a great time to be a Cyclone and I am super excited for the future.

Plus, Cyclonepride yesterday said something I thought was true – more money doesn’t help Texas nearly as much as more money helps us. They already spend more than anybody and get pretty much any kid they want. We are now part of what is probably the premier basketball league in the country and a pretty dang good football conference. I’m one that prefers the chance to do something great in a great conference than the alternative.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I called in this morning. I know this isn’t an absolutely great situation, because the rich will be getting richer and the poor will be getting less poor. Any situation that isn’t full revenue sharing will not be great for ISU because we don’t bring a whole lot to the table. But any situation other than this blows up the athletic department to a point I don’t think most people understand. I welcome the challenge. I think we can make bowl games in this league. I expect to be a better football program than KSU, KU, and BU and I think we can compete with the other schools. I can’t wait to play a full round robin. I think it’s a great time to be a Cyclone and I am super excited for the future.

Plus, Cyclonepride yesterday said something I thought was true – more money doesn’t help Texas nearly as much as more money helps us. They already spend more than anybody and get pretty much any kid they want. We are now part of what is probably the premier basketball league in the country and a pretty dang good football conference. I’m one that prefers the chance to do something great in a great conference than the alternative.

You are right. If we use it right, the extra money can help us a lot more than it helps Texas. And like Chris said yesterday, we have never been in direct competition with Texas and Oklahoma.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

The media in the state absolutely wanted ISU to drop a conference - which makes absolutely no sense to me. How can the Hawk-based media in Des Moines stay afloat if ISU were to drop a conference? They would lack content, as they would only consider the BCS school in the state as the only one of note and ISU's role would be on par with UNI and Drake for coverage. The preservation of the Big 12 gives them more topics to talk about and balances out their programs - imagine how KXNO would sound if they had two, two-hour shows and one three-hour show that was formatted at 50% Hawks, 35% pro sports and 15% Cyclones. You could argue that's how it is now, but if ISU were to drop a conference it wouldn't have been too much longer until KXNO shows and Sean Keeler would have been given the axe due to the lack of prestige and content the Cyclones would have provided.

Steve, John, Matt, Ken, Keith, Andy, & Sean Keeler - you're welcome for the job security.

Signed,

ISU Athletics

Last edited:

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
The media in the state absolutely wanted ISU to drop a conference - which makes absolutely no sense to me. How can the Hawk-based media in Des Moines stay afloat if ISU were to drop a conference? They would lack content, as they would only consider the BCS school in the state as the only one of note and ISU's role would be on par with UNI and Drake for coverage. The preservation of the Big 12 gives them more topics to talk about and balances out their programs - imagine how KXNO would sound if they had two, two-hour shows and one three-hour show that was formatted at 50% Hawks, 35% pro sports and 15% Cyclones. You could argue that's how it is now, but if ISU were to drop a conference it wouldn't have been too much longer until KXNO shows and Sean Keeler would have been given the axe due to the lack of prestige and content the Cyclones would have provided.

Steve, John, Matt, Ken, Keith, Andy, & Sean Keeler - your welcome for the job security.

Signed,

ISU Athletics

they would have a weekly piece about the team that Iowa State could be playing if they were in a real conference. And some special pieces about where our coaches are now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Texas
Oklahoma
OSU
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

We actually can be on TV more as two teams will eventually be gone.

Just a pure guess, but CPR will upgrade the football quality with hard work to more like we had in the 70s. It certainly will be better than Chizball.

CUSA would have been a waste of space. We would have been like Wyoming today.

Hey, this is a no brainer.

Compete or become irrelevant. Just a challenge we must rise to.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Frankly for all their 5 stars, UT continues to under perform. Sometimes talent is not enough to beat desire.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
We actually can be on TV more as two teams will eventually be gone.

Just a pure guess, but CPR will upgrade the football quality with hard work to more like we had in the 70s. It certainly will be better than Chizball.

CUSA would have been a waste of space. We would have been like Wyoming today.

Hey, this is a no brainer.

Compete or become irrelevant. Just a challenge we must rise to.

I understand what you're saying and agree with you--but what I am saying is this. Look at BYU and TCU and Boise--we probably couldn't beat any of those teams right now and they aren't in the B12 or a BCS conference. They're on TV just as much if not more than us. They get to (and win) bigger bowl games than us. TX needs us more than we need them. And TX doesn't really need us.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
While it's great we're saved (for a few years at least), I still have a hard time pretending this is anything more than Texas telling everyone else how it's going to be. No one else had a say in this. It was Texas' show and the rest of us just had to sit there and take it while they came in and said, "we're getting $8-10 million more than everyone else in this TV revenue deal, and that's the way it's going to be. Oh, and Oklahoma and A&M will get more than everyone else too. The rest of you can have what's left."

I agree with Steve Deace (I think it was Steve) who said it's all relative. Sure, we're getting a nice increase in revenue, but so is everyone else. And is it really guaranteed revenue or expected revenue? Big difference.

Again, I'm thankful ISU and the rest of the league will go on. But I just wish it was done before Nebraska and Colorado left. That alone should get Beebe canned. Instead of playing in a more competitive league (North) for us, we get to play Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Okie State and Texas Tech EVERY year. Not to mention Iowa and competitive Missouri, Kansas, K-State and Baylor teams. That's not necessarily a great deal in my opinion.

If I'm Jamie, I'm getting on the horn with Tennessee Technical School of the South and Montana Western first thing this morning and getting them on the schedule right away.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I understand what you're saying and agree with you--but what I am saying is this. Look at BYU and TCU and Boise--we probably couldn't beat any of those teams right now and they aren't in the B12 or a BCS conference. They're on TV just as much if not more than us. They get to (and win) bigger bowl games than us. TX needs us more than we need them. And TX doesn't really need us.

We all understand what you're saying; furthermore, we all understand this conference reallignment issue revolves around money derived from football.

Unlike other nearby schools, the average ISU fan cares about other sports, even those that will lose money no matter how successful they are. If our football team has to accumulate a few more bumps and bruises to keep our women's basketball and volleyball teams viable, I can live with that.

Reactions: yCy

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

You should have called in and asked Steve if since Michigan was 1-7 this year then shouldn't Michigan consider moving to the MAC where they might have a shot at a winning record? Obviously with their conference now getting tougher there isn't much of a chance that they will be able to win in the future.

I'm guessing he would have a totally different take if you applied his logic to Little Blue.

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Texas
Oklahoma
OSU
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

You have got to be kidding me...we just went from being in a position where we were going to have to go begging to get into a lesser conference with less revenue to a position where we are in our same conference with greater revenue.

Make no mistake...this deal was in ISU's best interests.

Frankly, I find your post offensive. Self-limiting attitudes like yours are for losers.

Reactions: Angie and VeloClone

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Personally, I think this is a time where ISU is actually equipped to rise to the challenge. With the bigger paycheck coming in from conference revenues, an AD committed to winning, and coaches in place, there's no time like the present. Lets go get it done for once.

Reactions: thrillcat

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
They are just telling Hawkeye fans what they want to hear. hawks fans believe this baloney. We are fortunate that JP ane GG are on the same page and want to move the athletic program forward.

ISU can be great regardless of our past. We need to unite and support our teams not whine that we have to play ou and texas. I can't get back to Ames a lot, but I am joining the Cyclone Club.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You have got to be kidding me...we just went from being in a position where we were going to have to go begging to get into a lesser conference with less revenue to a position where we are in our same conference with greater revenue.

Frankly, I find your post offensive. Self-limiting attitudes like yours are for losers.

I don't know what happened this week but I agree with you again, 100%.

I sure hope our athletes and coaches don't have the same attitude a dosry

Reactions: thrillcat

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

SPOT ON BRYCE - as always....

I looked this up last night.....check out these numbers....

Texas in 2009 had a football revenue of 87 million dollars, their football budget was 22 million. Alls this deal does is put them in line with the other big wigs of college football and their additional revenue dwarfs that of any of the top 5.....Texas is the single handed big dog when it comes to money - another 10-15 million will do more to help additional sports then football, they already spend whatever they want!!!!

As compared to ISU - 7-10 million dollars additional could go a long way....thought about this on the way to work....

So, last year as i recall, we got around 7 million, so we take an additional 2 million and now we meet what the BOR had requested that ISU Athletics not be using the general fund to fund our sports....ironically, i think they made this request only because they already knew Iowa met this and it would be something they could continue to hold over the heads of every Cyclone when it comes to funding requests....thats over....

So that leaves between 5-8 million leftover....for isu to seriously compete in football, the highest revenue generator of American Athletics, they have to invest in the future.

First, update our current facilities to include locker rooms, players areas and the weight room - it has to be state of the art. Weight rooms are major - MAJOR recruiting tools!!!

Secondly, invest in the stadium and the future by adding the bowled-in south end zone.....this would get our seating capacity up around 65-70 K. This is where JP has to realize, if the stadium is 3/4 funded by these tv funds, it will be paid off in under 10 years without considering any additional revenue generated by a larger stadium. It makes us a more appealing team should something happen to the Big 12 down the road, and begin to equal our brothers to the east...But, its important to fill that stadium. The plan would be to lower ticket costs to get the stadium full every week. Over the same period if the product on the field improves as many of us believe it will, its an investment on creating a larger fan base at the games, which is good not just for ISU football, but, generates a lot of stadium revenue as well as local revenue for the community. Then slowly increase ticket prices as the product on the field warrants and ticket demands increase....

I agree with a lot of the posters, ISU athletics will never know how close they came to being on the outside looking in, but, we all believe this is a huge asset for our athletic program. As far as playing the big boys every year, so what, until we can compete with them on the field, we will never get any respect because Texas is everybodys daddy when it comes to money......

Money dont buy success - just ask Norte Dame, USC (before Carrol), Miami, FSU....they have all had down turns while still being funded like some NFL teams!!!!!

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
At the end of the day.....the potential financial fallout for ISU dropping out of a BCS conference was just too dire not to hitch the wagon to Texas.

Jobs, millions of dollars and prestige were in the balance.

thrillcat

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Personally, I think this is a time where ISU is actually equipped to rise to the challenge. With the bigger paycheck coming in from conference revenues, an AD committed to winning, and coaches in place, there's no time like the present. Lets go get it done for once.

Agreed. I'm about to pull my hair out. Everyone worried about going to a crappy conference, now everyone whining because we're going to suck in the b12.

Tell me, people, are you going to ***** and moan because your lobster has too much butter? Christ.

Reactions: VeloClone

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!

Steve Deace, for example, is a loser.